“Spectacular View and the food is pretty good, too.”

Shoals Restaurant at The Cliff House Inn
Ranked #19 of 437 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2014

When driving up or down 101 between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, you must stop at The Cliff Side for a meal, a drink, a cup of coffee.

It won't be easy getting there if you are northbound due to construction and you have to go way past it and come back around, but it is a mandatory stop, even tho the inn itself certainly looks like it has seen better days........plus parking is awful.......but the view!!!

You dine and/or drink on a bluff in the middle of a curve of the Pacific Ocean, surrounded below by magnificent crashing waves, surfers and the biggest seagulls known to mankind, who frequently decide to do a few laps in the adjacent pool. It is breathtaking........and we ever had lunch.

We enjoyed some excellent fish and chips, homemade pineapple cole slaw and a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

It is well worth the hassle of finding the place, getting into it from the highway and searching for a parking space.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

STOP here for lunch or dinner if you are driving on Hwy 101 North of Ventura.

I was there a decade ago with friends, and had forgotten how wonderful the food is.

This time, I stayed at the Inn and ate there for the free breakfast (adequate) and then dinner twice. On Friday night I had the steamed calms & mussels and the scallop & shrimp salad. The Chardonay seafood was done perfectly and I ate the whole basket of bread to soak up the rich broth! The salad was very large and I picked out the flavorful grilled seafood because it was just too much for me to eat. It was enough to split with another.....Billie Rae was the only waitress and while quite busy, she exuded absolute joy in her service and suggestions.

I returned on Sat night for dinner thinking that I'd learned how large the portions were. So I ordered the ahi seaweed appetizer and the smaller beet & blue cheese salad. Oh, my. The ahi was perfectly seared with four large slices and a great deal of delicious seaweed salad. By the time that my salad arrived, I was full (with only two slices of bead) and had to take it back to the room where it became a yummy smoothie in the NutriBullet the next morning! I must remember to take pix of the artful presentation of the food!!

Note on the hotel rooms. They have fabulous views and proximity to the shore and are clean but dated. It was gr8 to be there during the winter storm with windows open and pounding surf. Fridge was gr8 but no three prong plugs for your electronics. Will definitely will return with an adapter.

1  Thank Bchgrl9
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Nice little restaurant with outside seating next to a pool with the Pacific on the other side of the pool. Can't beat the view. Service was great and the food was good, nothing special, but prices were reasonable for lunch. Also has brunch on Sat and Sun. Go on a sunny day when you have some time to enjoy a cocktail or two and the gorgeous CA coast. Lunch is served until 2:30.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife, my son, his wife and I had a relaxing and delicious dinner at the Shoals. The sign on the highway says Islands Grill but the restaurant and the food is still a pleasant and tasteful experience. We all had different dishes for our main course so there were four people making yummy sounds at the end of the meal. The special rack of lamb was cooked perfectly and was delicious. My wife had the salmon and she said it was perfect. My son had the pork chop and also said it was perfect. Hi wife had a beautiful steak and there was not a crumb left on her plate.

We adjourned outside to listen and watch the surf breaking at the edge of the property. What a wonderful windup for a very good dinner.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The Shoals Restaurant at the Cliff House Inn in Mussel Shoals is a nice stop for lunch on your travels along the 101. Sit outside facing the ocean (just feet way) and enjoy good service, a nice meal and the view! Food is nothing special but it is reasonable and tasty. Our group had burgers, Cobb Salad, chicken sandwich and veggie burger - all were fine and french fries were very good. Stop for the view but you won't be disappointed by the value.