“Apauling- DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
Review of Viking Motel

Viking Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am not sure how anyone could rate this anything above terrible. The bars on the windows should have been our first clue.

We were a larger group that took up several rooms and they were all the same! There were brown stains in the bottom of the shower; the tiles loose and falling off the wall. Each room had a mildew order. The comforter smelled as thought it had not been washed in a long time. One of the rooms had a large hole in the ceiling above the shower. The air conditioner had the worst smell. I believe it had not been cleaned in quite some time.

Room service did come to the door on the second day to clean the room. They knocked on the door and asked the occupants to gather the trash and dirty towels for them. Apparently they are not paid enough to gather the trash and towels for themselves, let alone run the vacuum cleaner or anything else.

The only thing I ask for when I travel is a safe, clean room and descent surroundings at a fair price. I could not fathom paying to sleep in these conditions, but unfortunately, we had several rooms and nowhere else to go!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I booked the hotel for my trip. At first year 2011 was ok. Eventhough the room is big but facilities was old and smell so bad. Following 2012, I booked and got confirmation but upon arrival, they tokd me no room available, put me in sister hotel name Crystal Palace. Yet they gave me discount but it was very annoyed. Crystal Palace is so dark and dirty Hotel. Will never come back to both of them. No pool, limited carpark

Room Tip: Room near entrance staircase is big and sunny.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in Ventura before our flight to New Zealand from LAX, so needed somewhere to get a good nights sleep. We came across this place, and although quirky, it was a really cool place to stay. We were given a choice of rooms, and chose one with a spa / jacuzzi which was a nice touch! There was a large mural of a tropical scene with Parrots, i'm not sure why. We had 2 double beds, a full kitchen and a bathroom with bath. Although on a main road, noise was not an issue. I would stay again.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Me and my girlfriend were visiting the west coast from San Francisco to LA.
We found this motel on Booking.com
Usually, we are quite "hard" with our comments but this time it is a10/10.
Location: Hotel is 2min by car from the main street were all goods restaurants & bars are. And only 5min from the seaside.
Welcome:The owner was very gentle and efficient.
Room: (we took 1 room Queen de Luxe with 2 Queens beds) Lot of space! a kitchen separated from the room, a bathroom and... Jacuzzi in the room! Very comfortable after a long road.
+ Fast Internet & Parking for FREE...
Conclusion: if you plan to visit the west coast and you are close to Santa Barabara, Malibu or LA, you can go there with eyes closed.

En Francais: Allez y les yeux fermés! Rien à reprocher.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a a jacuzzi but if you had a long road trip, ask for it because it is very re...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Arrived late into Ventura one evening and stayed one night. The room was large and clean and had a large t.v and jacuzzi which my wife thought was great.
The room had its own separate kitchen area where you could prepare food although there was very little in the way of cutlery.
Bed was comfortable but room was a little noisy, people could be heard moving around upstairs.
The owner was pleasant and we thought the room was good value.
Worth checking out if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DenisMc66
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My son & girlfriend stayed Frid. night and found pizza sauce all over the sheets and vibrator on bed. They picked it up to see what it was and it fell to the floor. the Manager came in and changed the sheets! THe entire area was sold out so they couldn't move. I called the manager who lied and said he didn't get my call, and proceeded to tell me that they changed the sheets so he is still charging my credit card. WIll be calling BBB, AAA and Chamber next, this establishment should be closed down.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank birdy24
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I initially looked at the Crystal Lodge down the street, which is owned by the same owner. It was very small, but they were obviously keeping it up and keeping it clean - even the owner's young son was helping out. I then learned that the owners also owned the Viking Motel, where the rooms were a little larger. I was pleasantly surprised not only at the inexpensive weekly rate for a room with a kitchenette, free WiFi, and plasma tv with cable and HBO/TMC, etc., but how laid back everyone was and how quiet it was overall,

First, the outside is older, vintage in style, but it's kept immaculate. Next, Eloy the manager is as nice and friendly, not to mention helpful as can be. He's always working on something around the property to keep it up and if you need anything, he's right there to help. He's an asset to the owners.

Next, they're animal friendly. That's right - doggies were not only welcomed, but all seemed to be getting along with each other just fine. The manager likes dogs and he seemed to enjoy the guests' dogs being around.

Moving over to the room. I'm not going to lie. If you're expecting the Four Seasons, you'll be disappointed. The rooms are older and some of the furniture could use updating. However, it seems like they are little by litle upgrading things in this motel and I'll bet in a year or two, they'll be able to give some of the large chains a run for their money. (I was at a Best Western the night before I got to the VM and they weren't that much more upgraded than the VM is).

The beds were very comfortable, although they could use new pillows. There were two roomy leather office desk chairs to sit on at a large glass desk that was probably from an office furniture place, but it was large enough to spread out on and work on your computer while you enjoyed the free WiFi.

I walked around the neighborhood and shopping easily and safely. It's close to Main St. so you can either walk, bike or take a short drive to hit all the shops there. Even though the motel is situated on a main street in Ventura, it was surprisingly quiet. Some of the reviews of motels in the area mentioned train noise, and I worried about this. We could hear the train whistle off in the distance every once in a while during the day, but it was not at all irritating or disturbing. The location was convenient to appts. I had to get to, and the beach as well.

Now, to the negative, I have to say that the dishes and pans in the kitchen and pans in the kitchen were pretty beat up and mismatched. Those that were in the drain rack didn't look washed properly either. But I picked up a cheap pot and some cheap dishes (literally 89 cents at Target down the street) and all was fine. This saved a lot in having to go to restaurants all the time. There was a toaster oven, microwave, fridge, stove, and coffeemaker. There was also an electric can opener, but it didn't work. The fridge was very clean, as was the microwave. The toaster oven needed to be cleaned because of crumbs, but it wasn't disgusting.

There was a huge flat panel tv that included cable and multiple movie channels. It worked great, as did the WiFi. The housekeeping staff definitely worked hard and I could find no problems with cleanliness with the bathroom, no bugs, carpets were vacuumed, etc.

If they stepped up the housekeeping in the kitchenette a notch, maybe bought a cheap set of matching dishes and a cheap set of pots, touched up some of the paint, and upgraded the furniture a little, then they'd need to call AAA and get themselves a nice rating because they'd definitely get a lot more business. One thing they do absolutely need to do is remove the junk that's in between the Motel and the business next door. If that area was planted with beautiful plants, it would be very lovely. You can't see this unless you look out the side windows, but I think anyone would rather see flowers or shrubs there than discarded items. I don't know if that's their land or not, but someone should clean it out.

There were some people who seemed to be living there on a longer term basis and they all seemed to get along very well. But it looked like normal working class people, not parolees or hobos or anything like that.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who is a no frills person looking for a great bargain as they stay for a longer term in the area on vacation, anyone who needs an all-inclusive starter location while they get established, or bachelors who don't want frills, but want want a safe, reasonable place to stay with all utilizies and services included.

Last but not least, I stayed at an inn in a nearby area a few weeks ago that is a historic place, gets all kinds of good reviews, etc. The service there and the amenities were nowhere near what the Viking Motel offers. In my book, the Viking Motel rates 3 stars with the potential for 4 in the future. :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business