“Awesome, again!”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Awesome, again!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Back in 2011, three of us went with Island Packers on an Anacapa Island day trip out of Oxnard on the Vanguard. It was a great experience, and I decided then that on my next trip to California I would look them up again. Last Saturday, April 19th, my Dad and I went on the 9:30 AM wildlife sightseeing cruise out of Ventura. We didn't spot any whales, but knew beforehand it is late in the season. So the chances were slim.
We did see lots of different kinds of birds, including several pelicans.
The sea lions were abundant, and you can't beat the views from cruising around Anacapa Island. We had a beautiful day, and the trip was capped off with a pod of dolphins chasing the Island Adventurer back in! It was a great trip! I tell everyone I know that is planning a trip to California that they need to look up Island Packers!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Randall M

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great staff, MUST SEE”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We did the 3 hour whale watching tour on 3/22/14 and it was INCREDIBLE! At first I was skeptical since anytime a whale was spotted the entire boat would run to that side of the boat making it impossible to see. ****Stand on the front of the boat on the right side top or bottom. You will see the most there since it is also what the captain sees. I was blow away by the well informed staff and how many whales (grey & humpback), dolphin, and seals we saw. There was so much activity going on I couldn't keep up with it all. They do a GREAT job of following the whales to give you plenty of opportunities to see them come to the surface. The dolphin are just everywhere. We must have seen over 1000 of them! I highly recommend this tour! Visit my blog for a full overview and more photos at http://msvaleriesmith.blogspot.com

Seal Harbor, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A MUST SEE”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a fantastic, fun and safe boat tour of the gorgeous Channel Islands. They go above and beyond taking the time to make sure that you totally enjoy your trip AND help teach and show how they respect the environment. On our trip out and back, we encountered so many sea creatures. Whales, dolphins and so many birds. AND also we saw several Mylar balloons which the boat operator explained to us were NOT good for the ocean environment. He did steer the boat and slowed it to a stop to pick them up and get them out of the water. He explain in detail why they do this to protect the ocean water environment. The staff is very knowledgeable, understanding and thoughtful. This is a very professional organization. We totally enjoyed ourselves and we visited both islands. Anacapa was to rough to go ashore so we went to Santa Cruz. A most wonderful place to hike and get gorgeous pictures. I totally recommend this trip no matter what the weather!! It is owned and run by the Connelly family. We were very pleased to meet both Cheryl and Mark ...brother and sister who have been a part of this family run operation for over 30 years. Mark Connelly is the President of the company and took over it from his Mom and Dad. A wonderful familly operation. THANK YOU MARK AND CHERYL.......for letting us have such a wonderful experience on the Channel Islands!!!!

2 Thank HERice2013
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great day trip”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We visited Anacapa Island April 6, 2014. Island Packers crew and boat are top notch. We lucked out- smooth seas, sunny & 75. One hour trip out- the hiking is easy, the views out of this world! You can hike thoe whole island in less then two hours, the trip could be cut short by an hour in our opinion. The gulls were nesting, flowers in bloom as so were the kelp flies. On the way back we met up with a nursery pod of dolphins that numbered in the thousands, what a great way to end the trip.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dano72
Duluth, Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Well worth every dollar!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We went on our second whale watch, first one out of Ventura. The weather cooperated and the people involved with Island Packers made our trip a thoroughly enjoyable experience. We experience hundreds of Porpoises, Pelicans, Sea Lions, and a half dozen grey whales. A juvenile approached us very closely with Mom close behind. The exuberant youngster breached exposing the top third of the body. What a sight! I have never seen one so close! The crew was great and lingered for a while out with the whales a bit beyond our time. The porpoises "talked" to us and raced with the boat, surrounding us. What a treat!

Visited March 2014

Been to Island Packers? Share your experiences!