“Not the king, but not the knave either”
Review of Rex Motel

Rex Motel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stopped at the Rex because our kids wanted to go to a beach and we wanted to avoid rush hour traffic in the LA area, and see the Getty the next morning. It worked out well in the end, but first impressions were not so positive. The motel is on a rather bland stretch of boulevard, a full 2 miles from the ocean. The buildings are aged and low set, and not particularly inviting. Belying this, the sign (see picture) is quite vivid and cheery and the grounds are well maintained. The room inside was clean and neat and quite spacious, tho aged. Impossible to escape was a musty smell that was not terrible but definitely not pleasing in the bedding and room, and a stronger odour in the bath. The girl at the desk was very nice and I get the impression that this is an earnest family-run motel. For the price, this was a good place to stay for my family of four and we slept well. With a few upgrades this motel would be thriving.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank fangio23

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We flew in from Singapore and made the right decision to drive from LA airport to Ventura for a night rest before we start our travel on the Coastal route the next morning. Rex motel is spacious with clean beds and sufficient heating for winter. Toilet is a little small. Car park is just right at your doorstep. Don't expect anything fancy for that price. Just 10 minutes walk, there is a Macy if anyone wants to do shopping. Some restaurants and fast food nearby too.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank shumshum
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I travel a lot and always seek the best values in motels. All I need are the basics and that is all I want to pay for but I also want a place to be reasonably clean, and a staff that will help with most special needs. The Rex is one of my favorite places in Ventura, close to everything including the beautiful Ventura beaches but nice and quiet in the evening. I especially like single story motels and parking where I can see my car. The rooms are clean the furniture is funky the showers and tv work great and now they have real good WIFI but best of all the prices are among the lowest in the county. I stayed at a KOA in the area that was the same price for a trailer campsite. Bottom line is it's not the Ritz but if you are looking for a good basic comfortable quiet stay, a friendly staff, and save some money give them a try.

Room Tip: All the rooms are about the same but I have a favorite that I won't divulge in case you are comi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank Loren A
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We got to Ventura late and tired - my friend found this place on Trip Advisor and well:
The people are nice.
The location is boring.
(it felt like a room my great aunt would have let me use when I visited her in her very old house).
The furniture was old.
The bed comfortable enough.
Bring your own pillow.
The sheets were clean.
The bed spreads were old.
The refrigerator worked fine.
The shower was fine.

If you just want a place to rest your head, you are not trying to impress anyone, you are ok with old and you are choosing based on price. This place could work for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NorCal13
Reviewed 2 October 2011

If you are not a "motel snob"...this is an ok motor lodge. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Rooms are old and decorated with KMart type items...it was nice and quiet and very inexpensive. Fine for a one night motor lodge stay. If you are traveling on a tight budget, this would be an ok choice.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank kelkel90
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We recently made our second visit to the Rex. Since their online reservation site was down, we called. The owner remembered us and promised us our favorite room at the same rate we paid recently (an online site wanted more). We did not have to secure our room with a credit card, and the owner called us a couple of days in advance to make sure we were coming. The Rex was booked up that weekend. We found out later that friends of ours stayed there, just two doors down! (They were also pleased with the place). You just don't get service these days like we get from the couple that owns and runs the Rex. If it's your first time, don't be put off by appearances: the Rex has been around a while and shows it's age. But it's well kept-up and well designed for quiet and comfort. Our room had a nice TV with lots of channels (including HBO, HBO2 and Showtime), a mid sized refrigerator and microwave. Wifi is spotty but upgrades are in progress. The location is good, near fast food, stores, the beach, and downtown. Also the best price we could find in the area (even cheaper than Motel 6!).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank NVRoaddog
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I was in a trip by the California coast and I was looking for a reasonabily priced hotel. I found Rex Motel very good taking into account the 55 $ I paid. My room was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable. Moreover, the owners were just lovely and they treated me kindly and helpfully. If I go back to Ventura with a limited budget, I'll definitely choose this place. I know I'll sleep perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo