“Authentic Peruvian food and more”
Review of Bonano's - CLOSED

Bonano's
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

I should have followed the advice in previous reviews and ordered the mussels but I ordered the ceviche which was too lemony for my taste. The crispy corn served with it was quite tasty. Dinner came with a flat bread served warm with flavorful dipping sauces. We ate similar food in Peru so knew what to expect, but there was a lot more to their menu. The chicken was a little overcooked but we arrived late in the evening. Because of the great service and reasonable prices I would try it again but order the mussels.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

this was our first time eating at Bonano's and we really enjoyed the food we started with the calamari that was tasty that we each had one of the seafood rice dishes mine with the cilantro and my husband a yellow rice. we will be back to try out some of there other dishes.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

We tried out this place two nights ago and were pleasantly surprised that Peruvian food was good! We had no idea that it was more Mediterranean than Latin and more interesting that most offerings in Ventura. This is the type of place that surprises you if you live here. One doesn't expect this here in Ventura. Friends suggested that we try it and we relished it so much that Bonanos will be on our go to list for dinner from now on. Especially when we feel like comfort food at a comfortable price in a comfortable setting. Roberto , our waiter, was delightful explaining the menu in a respectful manner. Yes you heard me. respectful. I chose that word because often times it takes someone raised outside our culture to add a little respect and consideration to table service. If you like to feel like you are in Europe where the food servers approach their professions ...professionally... then go to Bonanos. He suggestions were great ( Ceviche which was fresh and not too spicy. We queried him on the hotness level after reading some reviews and he recommended mild which was perfect for us). He suggested Peruvian beer ( who knew? ) and the light beer was perfect. The chicken was rotisserie and needed 10 more minutes but after the Civeche we were ready for the best , succulent chicken in town. ( Why my BBQ grill dries my chicken out is a mystery to me ) but Bonanos has the right touch. We agree with the reviews on this. I had the Seafood Rice Paella dish that was perfect with little octopii, callamari, shrimp, clams, a mussel etc . Sort of a cross with Jambolya with a much more subtle flavoring. The restaurant was only 25% full and this was also mentioned on the other reviews. We hope that more people discover it because we want it to be around for a long time.

1  Thank Lvig007
Reviewed 2 March 2012

In a random shopping center, however my favorite restaurant in Ventura. The staff is amazing, however does not hold a candle to the food!

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Summary: Bonanos is located in a nondescript small strip mall near Ventura College. That shouldn't detract you from trying something different and enjoying the authentic Peruvian cuisine. Service is good, prices are reasonable, and the menu offers some uniquely different selections.

Wanting to broaden their horizons, I ate there with my teenage son and his friend. We were served by the proprietor, from Lima Peru. I had a dish with rice and seafood, my son had lamb stew with cilantro, and his friend has beef with rice and eggs (like stir fry).

Service was attentive without being overbearing. They offered two selections of Peruvian beer as well as wine and US and European beers. The menu offered selections of seafood, beef, chicken and lamb. I'm not sure if there's a large Asian influence in Peru, but the menu offered several items with Asian influence. We asked about menu selections that were the most authentic Peruvian selections.

I had the Seafood rice (don't recall the Peruvian name). It was similar to Paella without the saffron flavor. It had shrimp, mussels, clams and rice. I was good but I was expecting a little more flavor.

My son had the lamb stew. This was by far our favorite. There we plentiful chunks of lamb meat in a very wonderful cilantro and vegetable base. It came with a side of rice, which my son dumped into the stew to soak up all the flavorful broth.

His friend had beef, rice and eggs. Again, I don't recall the Peruvian name. It looked and tasted like stir fried rice. This was not one the the authentic Peruvian selections, but rather something he said he'd eat. It was good, flavorful, but I don't think it's Peruvian.

Overall, the experience was enjoyable as it would be for a family or couples. Prices were moderate as were the portions. I'd like to return again and try a few more items.

1  Thank DoDDan