“would not stay again”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Los Angeles, California
“would not stay again”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly but the hotel is in need of maintenance. It was fine for one night and only 2 blocks from downtown and a block from the pier. I would not stay here again, though. Tried to buy a water and the vending machine ate my dollar and nothing worked. Snack machine out of order. I heard from another hotel guest that he tried the vending machine on a different floor and that didn't work either. He also said the ice machine was broken. Breakfast had more options than I expected but the taste of the hot food was poor. Eggs were gross, bacon was especially gross. The hash browns were ok. I was pleasantly surprised at the waffle station- that was actually pretty good. I didn't feel the need to put a do no disturb sign on the door because I was only staying one night and was planning to check out right after breakfast but that didn't stop the maid from trying to open the door (without knocking) at 8:30am! When the dead bolt stopped them they walked away for 5 minutes then came back and knocked. Seriously?!
Also, I asked for the side of the building facing away from the train tracks, as recommended by other users, and still woke up from the train's horn in the morning. The view was pretty, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks, put up your "do not disturb sign" no matter wha...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to read your constructive comments so we can continually improve our hotel. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Hebrew first
essex
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I was disappointed with this hotel after reading the reviews.
I had a room overlooking the motorway which is not really a problem.
The room itself was dark and a bit dingy, but just acceptable.
The breakfast was very good and I must say the breakfast staff worked very hard.
I was however disappointed with the drinks happy hour, my wife and I had one drink and when we tried to get another at 6.59 we were barked at NO I AM CLOSED by the lady serving but continued to talk to local people, she continued talking for over 10 minutes and we were unable to get another drink. Bar closes at 7pm. Her customer services skills are poor.
I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and get the best service. We hope for another opportunity in the near future to meet your hotel needs.
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

While Easytobook.com was an absolute disaster - I clicked on the wrong date, couldn't get through on the phone - busy busy busy. DO NOT USE THEM. I had to pay for the room when I arrived.

My room was clean with lots of space and soft pillows. However, it did not have a fresh smell. Though it was a non smoking room, it seem to have a smoke residue. They had a full breakfast, and it is very centrally located. Though it was by the train tracks and freeway, I didn't notice much noise, though admittedly, I can tune things out. It was one of the lowest prices I could find and it was worth it.

Only problem is that I had to pay twice because of my error and ABSOLUTELY ZERO service from Easytobook.com

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Otter Rock, Oregon
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I was surprised how.much Iliked this place. It definitely seems dated and is not a luxury hotel but it was really quiet (considering the location). The people were friendly..the breakfast was great..the location to restaurants and downtown Ventura was close. They also had a "happy hour". Free beer and wine and snacks...This for $80...senior discount. The bed and pillows were great. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed 19 September 2013

First, let me say that if your looking for a four star hotel, this is not the place for you. If your looking for a good 2.5 star that does it well, then read on. Arrived late afternoon and checked in with no problems. Got a king room on the 3rd floor facing the freeway, train tracks and ocean. I had read from previous reviews that rooms facing the freeway were loud. I didn't mind hearing the noise and knew it in advance. Although the room was a little out of date, it was large, clean and comfortable. It appears that they care about their rooms and try hard to maintain them and keep them in tip top shape. Room had a large flat screen TV, fridge, microwave and all the comforts of home. Complimentary breakfast in the morning was a nice treat and offered scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy along with oatmeal, waffles, an array of bagels and breads. Lots of tasty coffee and juices for you to enjoy. This was my first stay at this hotel but will not be my last. I recommend booking on-line to save money. Why stay at the C.P. on the other side of the freeway for almost double the price? This was a good find and I recommend it.

Room Tip: If you don't like the noise of the freeway, be sure to request a room facing the city.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DADuv2
Kirltand, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I have stayed here many times. It's a block from the main downtown area and walking distance to the beach. The rooms are very spacious, clean and the breakfast in the morning is good- eggs, biscuits, fruit, cereal, juices etc. Area is safe. I've never had any problems even though the downtown area does have a lot of homeless people walking around.

Room Tip: The train line runs on the ocean side so I choose the opposite side to avoid that noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2013

It was clean and spacious. Love having the refrigerator and microwave. They were very accommodating with an early check~in :) The pool is small but clean and inviting. Hot tub is out doors which is awesome in these cool California nights! :) The breakfast was well received with a wide variety of fresh fast items :)

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better. Can be a lot of activity in the hallway downstairs with people coming and going...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple