“Great staff except Security guard” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
CALIFORNIA
“Great staff except Security guard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Love this place staff is very nice and attentive , rooms are clean my family enjoys staying here when we come to Ventura, I have only one complaint regarding the security guard and it has been bothering me I have a Handicap placard and parked in one of the stalls on new years eve( 3 am) and the security guard MADE me move my truck because " its too long " he said. I told him that cars can pass by fine if the cars parked in the loading zone behind me weren't parked there. He said "that's employee parking and the truck (white) is mine so you need to move. Oh i see i told him its an inconvenience for you to move your truck although i paid $ 177.00 to stay here I have to move.? yes he said you can park underground Hello do you know ADA ( American disability act) I might just report this to them also this persons actions are/were unacceptable besides him this hotel is a great place to stay I hope management addresses this employee

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JALTEO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Hebrew first
Visalia, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Weekend getaway with the kids. Our first visit here, we had been to the one in Port Hueneme and the accommodations are very similar. Excellent value (it's off-season), great staff, wonderful hot breakfast. Comfy pillows, comfy beds, everything was nice and clean, no funky smells. Short walk to beach and pier. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Whittier, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I am impressed very spacious room, clean. I have a king bed a pull out couch microwave and mini fridge and still have lots of room in here. I have a partial view of the beach and walking distance to the pier. Freeway access and lots oif shops and restaurants nearby. Happy happy

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MARTHA M
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Great value here. Walking distance to the beach and downtown. I always enjoy my stay here. They have a very friendly staff and serve a nice free breakfast in the morning. The rooms are big and clean. Always a jar of chocolate chip cookies at the front desk ( my favorite ). For the young families, the beach has a nice play area right there in the sand next to the pier. For folks with no kids, downtown is a great place to shop,eat, and hang out. The Bombay is real close, we like to go there to dance, hear live music and comedy.

Room Tip: Could here a baby crying next room over. Woke us up early.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HRies
Weldon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed how close it was to both down town and the pier we could walk to dinner and watch the sun go down. Complimentary Breakfast was better than we had expected and happy hour is great. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Orangevale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel with family for an event in early November 2013. While the hotel structure was certainly showing some signs of wear and age the rooms and common areas were clean in and in decent repair. The staff was mostly friendly, and were always professional. The included breakfast was good and included the standard continental buffet with hot eggs, bacon/sausage, hash browns, biscuits and waffles. As for location, it was fairly good being in downtown Ventura with just a short walk to either the main commercial area or beach. It is adjacent to a railway, however it's hardly noticeable since the rains only run during the day and the adjacent track is on a bridge going over highway 101. The highway though is, quite noticeable if in one of the rooms above it. This section of the highway is sunken down and on a curve. That causes trucks to downshift and use their engine break. The sound of that is then reflected off the retaining walls directly into the rooms on the northwest side of the hotel. And the trucks continue to pass by all night long... The hotel seems to have tried to mitigate the problem by installing triple pane windows in those rooms but sadly it seems ineffective.

That lead to my only large annoyance with the hotel
The room I and a family member was assigned for the first night was directly above highway 101 so it did have road noise, I asked if they had any ear plugs to help reduce the noise and was told they neither provided nor sold any earplugs. That really is an oversight in my opinion. While it's understandable due to cost for them not to provide earplugs for free, not even keeping a few on hand for sale at a reasonable cost for those sensitive to the road noise, when some rooms have a known problem with it, is just poor customer service.. Being too late to obtain earplugs form elsewhere, I unfortunately was unable to get much sleep that night.. Since we were staying more than one night I asked the next morning if it was possible move rooms, and fortunately it was. The room we were moved to across the hall was much quieter and I slept well the following nights.

One minor annoyance was that the breakfast requires a coupon that is given with the room cards on check-in. The night desk attendant did not inform us of this though and while they were still given to us we had no idea they were needed the following morning. Fortunately though, aside from the breakfast buffet attendant making note of the fact we didn't have them with us he still let us eat.

So in summation, despite the road noise issues, for the value you get this is a great hotel to stay at. Just be sure to bring some earplugs and/or try to get a room facing away from the highway.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms located to the Northwest side of the Hotel since they are located directly ov...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family