“Definitely Needs an Upgrade” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
Seattle, Washington
“Definitely Needs an Upgrade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

By comparison, I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Calabasas (about 40 minutes South) and much nicer (see my review).

Rooms are tired and need to be updated. Clean but not sparkling. Bed was decent, and I slept OK, but as per others have said, there is a train that goes by so if you are a light sleeper, this could be a problem. The location is good for the charm of Ventura's Main Street and shops, but the train and being right next to the freeway without good sound proofing could be an issue. I just turned on the fan to create some white noise. The jacuzzi was nice for a cold night. Good rate, but I'd probably pay a few more $$ and stay somewhere better next time. The breakfast was ok but not quite as fresh and hot as the Calabasas property. Fine for an overnight but I'd not want to stay here for more than a day or so.

They have smoking rooms, but beware, they are horrible. I originally asked for one just because it was quite cold outside, and just in case I wanted to sneak an indoor cigarette (I'm an outdoor only smoker at home) but changed to non-smoking no matter how cold outside as there was no way I could have spent the night in a terribly smelly room with stale linens and burn holes all over the carpets.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Hebrew first
Quartz Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

All the seniors that complain about paper/styrofoam plates or freeway noise need to bring their own plates and earplugs. Oh but wait, why pick a hotel next to a freeway if you want to be away from traffic? Hhmmm - senility. My family goes to Ventura annually for the Highland Games in October. This place offers great rates (discounted for the event), has large clean rooms, and an awesome hot breakfast. Breakfast includes scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, cereal, danishes, coffee, and juice at a minimum. Every evening, there is a happy/social hour with free beer, wine, soda and snacks (I discovered there's supposed to be a limit of two free drinks). Rooms are spacious, parking is free and you're close to plenty of restaurants, the beach, and the fairgrounds. The rooms are great at cancelling out traffic noise and the train is actually closer to hotels along the beach than this one. If you don't want to walk the third of a mile to the beach (it's exactly a third at the closest point - I checked), driving there is pretty easy to do.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VenturaCountryInn, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura, responded to this review, 28 October 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay. We appreciate the feedback, and hope that you keep us in mind for your next visit to Ventura!
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

Much nicer than I expected after reading a few negative reviews. The hotel was spotless and the rooms were very large with comfortable beds. The breakfast was buffet style and was very good. Staff was helpful and friendly. Be prepared for freeway noise when at the pool. If you are a light sleeper you should request the mountain side which is where we had our room and it was very quiet.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Ramona, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

This is an old, dated property that has seen better days. The elevator squeaks and shudders; the ancient microwaves had real BELLS on them--haven't seen those in 20+ years; everything is "shopworn". Our window looked out on a railroad trestle, the 101 freeway, and waaaay off in the distance is the ocean. The NOISE of the freeway and train-crossing horns was astonishing if you were outside by the pool. Actually excruciatingly loud. I could not STAND to be by the pool/spa. Inside the rooms the traffic could not be heard, but the trains could. The advertized "two blocks from the beach" is deceptive, as you have to first walk two blocks parallel to the beach to get to the long pedestrian overpass over the railroad and freeway. The morning's breakfast, complimentary, was freshly prepared to order and plentiful, but thoroughly mediocre. The room itself was fine.Thank goodness I "Pricelined" this place and did not pay normal fare. I will try somewhere else next time I visit the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTBurke
Perris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Staying in hotels for business can make or break a business trip. You basically go there to sleep, but the hotel is one of those things that still leaves a lasting impression on you, for as little time as we spend in them. Most don't impress me much. How nice it was to see that feeling change with our stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Ventura. A very well thought out layout of the rooms as well as the lobby and lounge. I don't think I've felt as welcomed and comfortable at any other hotel. It was the most useable room we have stayed in for business.

The cable was down two nights in a row during our stay and the poor staff working the lobby were answering call after call and could do nothing to help the guests with the problem. They stayed cool and calm through it all and still had a smile on their face when we checked in that first night. The rooms were perfect and so comfortable that I told the person I was traveling with that we should try to stay at Country Inn's for now on, wherever we go.

Then there was the lay out and the breakfast. We were on the second floor. You stepped out of your room to the smell of breakfast cooking. A feeling of "home" comes over you. How nice that is to see at a hotel! The second floor had a loft like set up, so you could overlook the lobby and lounge from the elevator area. With that came all the smells of the morning breakfast that came free with our stay. Even if you were thinking you would just eat out, you would soon change your mind once that smell caught hold of you and you walked into the lounge. The staff was on their toes and there to meet your every want and need. The food they offered was the BEST and I do mean THE BEST I have EVER had at any hotel we have stayed at.

And FREE PARKING ... no fee you to death way of thinking here!

Any and every hotel I stay at from this date on will have to compete with Country Inn and Suites! I've never had better and do hope to find them in other places our business takes us. A MUST see, MUST try hotel! Hands down.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Las Rozas, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Stayed two nights with my famly (wife + 3 kids - 12,10,6) on a double queen. The room was incredible big. It is by the 101 highway and can be a little bit noisy at day, but at night is ok, we had a very good sleep.
The breakfast is really complete with lots of options.
It´s got and underground free parking apart from the parking on the surface.
It´s got a coin operated washing and drying machines. They sell the soap at the reception.
All in all a very good option, but be sure to ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway.
By the way, really close to the Camarillo premium outlet (10 minutes) for shopping

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We were in Ventura for a family emergency.The positives The hotel is in a great location, Free parking, Free breakfast. The negatives :the breakfast was just ok and it is all served on paper plates, nothing to write home about. It reminded me of the breakfast they would feed homeless people. Here is the worst part we returned to the hotel at about 1 am.Our room #335 had a enclosed patio. It had a bright patio lite in the form of a globe. When we finally decided to go to sleep we looked and looked for the swith to shut that patio light off. The room was lit. We could not find a switch. So we tried to run the drapes over to darken the room. The drapes were just a small section and it did not move. The rest was a light white sheer. I finally called the front desk and she said these lights were on a timer. I told her it is 1 am shouldn't they be by now? I asked her when she thought they would turn them off. She said I don't know. She then said if it bothers you this much unscrew the bulb and hung up. I tried to unscrew the globe to get to the bulb and it was impossible. So we had no choice but to drape a black sweater over the globe to darken the room a little. We did not sleep well, we were all worried the sweater would get hot and start to burn. The response of the front desk was in-excusable and un-professional. They need to really traine their people. We will return to Ventura but never to this hotel ever !!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family