“It was paradise”

Ranked #6 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Hugo, Minnesota
“It was paradise”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I loved this place it was absolutely beautiful, my girls an I were at six flags during the day, I should had stayed there longer. There are some local bums and drunks that hangout by the beach but they were mostly minding their own.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

So my husband booked this room as a Valentine/Birthday surprise for me. He was a bit concerned by a few of the negative(ish) reviews about the place being run down, etc. but the negative remarks were for stuff that doesn't matter much to us so he stuck with the reservation. We are both SO GLAD that he did. We love this place and will now return over and over again. We had a third floor room looking out to the ocean. In fact ALL the rooms look out to the ocean. We slept with the sliding door open all night, listening to the surf. There was a gas fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. We loved this room. The decor is on the antique side and that's awesome. This is not a bed and breakfast. This is a hotel. Continental breakfast in the morning is coffee, pastries and juice. PERFECT!!! There is a breakfast place about 3 businesses down. You are paying for, (and getting) an amazingly comfortable bed, an unbelievable view, the sound of the surf all night, pleasant inn keepers, cozy décor and location, location, location. We love it and will be back again and again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shae M
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Starting with the good, this property has an excellent beachfront location, steps away from a number of restaurants. Parking is free and there is a cold continental breakfast.

On to the bad, our room was in a severe state of disrepair. The list is pretty long but the main issues were in the washroom including a ghastly water damaged ceiling that had a hole large enough to see the bottom of the bathroom above. The ceiling light didn't work for some reason, so a bedside lamp was set up on the small vanity (at least there was a gfi). The bathroom door was installed improperly and scraped the tile floor when opened. The room had light switches that didn't work, and when I tried to use one lamp switch it got jammed in place. At the front desk they informed us that the heater was a fireplace, but there was no thermostat to control it (just an on-off).

As for the ugly, the carpets were beyond gross, I'm sure they're original and they felt greasy underfoot. I wore my shoes the whole time. Also, I think the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, there was a hair and dried coffee on the vanity.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, get a room facing the beach on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allison P

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

North Fork California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed one night on our way through Ventura. Did not check reviews, our mistake. Front desk was friendly & welcoming. Rate was around $110 plus tax. Hotel is right on beach, if you must stay here I recommend second or third floor as there is no view from first floor. Sand build up & dirty glass are in the view. This could be a decent place but for the fact it is so dirty & run down. There is no excuse for the dirty. It could be fixed with a cleaning crew, a bucket of soapy water and a good steam cleaner. Everything needs to be wiped down or scrubbed, webs everywhere, mold in windows etc. It also needs a handyman, someone to just go through each room and fix what is broken. Dresser drawers are broken, handles missing, nails sticking out of head boards, window screens torn or missing, wall paper pealing off, door hinges broken, electrical plugs not working etc.
We do not recommend this place to other travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JBRA-4
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We booked in for 1 night, as we were too tired to look elsewhere.
The position was nice, but the cleanliness was not good.
The breakfast room was very grubby, and at the price , to me it represents poor value.
The room was comfortable enough, but being charitable...the room was tired.
Good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Northern Ca.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I thought it would be worth it to have a place ON the beach. It would have been SO MUCH BETTER to walk a block to the beach and stay at a nice place for the same price It was a DIRTY, RUN DOWN, place. First the "manager guy" has such bad nail fungus...on all his fingernails that what bits of finger nail was left was greenish and gooey I tried not to be rude but yuck as he hands me my key and telling me about their free breakfast. At first glance you think the room is O.K. but what I thought was a green patina on a picture frame was just a thick layer of grunge and then dust bunny globs in all the detail work on the headboards. broken toilet told me just jiggle handle, no a/c asked for a fan FINALLY gave me one..switch broken on it cord had electrical tape to hold it together and hair balls stuck in the tape. Had a downstairs unit NOT PRIVATE patios like the website states. I had a cup of water by my bed and in 20 minutes COVERED with ANTS! (They gave me a can of Raid) The ants returned 2 days later with a vengeance . They where swarming my water glass! I almost drank them! they were all over the desk and in my daughter's computer They were swarming in the shower and all over the toothpaste and mouthwash container. The place was loud and dirty. I'm a single mom so I couldn't afford to pay for this place and then go to another place too! I should have stayed at Motel 6 for 1/3 of the price and at least not be attacked by ants! When I asked for a partial refund the gooey finger guy really got insulted and told me I already had a great deal! I guess the creepy "maintenance man" lurking on my and my neighbors patio was extra. Never again! I took pictures before I left should have gotten more!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bonnie P
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Once again our policy of not booking ahead on our tour down the Pacific Coast Highway paid off with a great place to stay!

We had originally planned to stop at Santa Barbara - lovely spot but silly prices. Don't their hotel managers realise that deals are worth doing on a quiet Monday after high season?

We thought Ventura was worth a look and struck lucky with the Inn On The Beach. A ground floor room opening out straight onto a fabulous beach. Spotlessly clean, big comfortable bed, excellent TV and a spacious bathroom with the best shower out of all the places we have stayed in the last two weeks.

OK, so the carpets and decor in some of the public areas have seen better days - but that didn't spoil our stay one little bit. So glad we didn't read the TripAdvisor reviews first - we liked it so much we stayed an extra night!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Comfort Inn
#1 of 23 in Ventura
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura

Been to Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!