“Nice views but a tent would have been better”
Review of Inn on the Beach

Inn on the Beach
Ranked #6 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was easy to overlook the piles of dust, dirt, bugs flying around the lobby, and having to wear flip flops to walk on the carpet in the room in exchange for the view of the Pacific ocean.

This place is in desperate need of Hotel Impossible for a number of reasons.

I can go on for ever but let me just state the obvious...If the owners would pend very little on a few basics in the room (wall paper, carpet..and most importantly a ceiling fan) and this could be a 2-star hotel.

My wife and I went for just one night (thank God) as a get away before our baby is born. We left the other kids at home and hoped to just enjoy the view and get some rest.

It was cool out last weekend and we spend a lot of time in the room and the patio (1st floor).

I understand a lot of people go there to 'party'....The smell of weed, sounds of beer bottles and laughter was everywhere.

The big problem was there in NO a/c or even a simple ceiling fan. (and it was cool out). We woke at midnight and the room was VERY hot. We tried to open the screen door and all the partiers were loud and our room filed with smoke. We suffered in the hot room since inhaling smoke for my wife who is 8 months pregnant is not o.k..

THE WORST PART was after calling and going to the front dest (no one was there), I mentioned it nicely to the older man at the front desk the next morning) and he was VERY RUDE and couldn't give a damn. He wouldn't even look up from him computer and proceeded to tell me the weather forecast yesterday...Really?

We checked out at 8 a.m. and had no rest that weekend.

Simply put, I wish the owners would put in a ceiling fan, post NO SMOKING notices on the patio doors, and hire people that can even 'act' like they care...Waste of our money and time.

Next time, we will spend less and stay at the Cliffhouse again up the freeway.

Not even an apology from the grumpy older man at the front dest...pathetic.

3  Thank BPBValencia

Reviewed 11 April 2014

What a great location! Rite on the beach in Ventura You could not get a better view of the ocean and get any closer to the beach. The only problem is that the hotel needs a major facelift. The rooms are a decent size, but the decor needs a major upgrade as do the bathrooms. The bed linens and towels need to be replaced as well. If you can overlook all the shabbiness then it is a great location. Each room has a balcony that over looks the beach. Just be aware that people smoke on their balconies and the smoke comes into your room. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Also be aware that the locals, drunks and regulars hang out rite by the hotel, so it does get a bit loud.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I like this place. The negative comments about being a bit worn are true. There are a lot of details that catch the eye that have needed attention for a long time. BUT, THE VIEW!!! All rooms have a balcony or patio right on the beach. After five minutes looking across the sand to the surf, one forgets about the little things.
If only the owners would put some time and attention to detail (and money) into upkeep and repair, this place would be a five star attraction. They got off to a good start with the French antique decor motif, but have not followed through. A pity. But, I still like the place!

Room Tip: Third-floor rooms have the best view.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway out of Los Angeles. Most beach locations are either distant or very pricey or both. The location of this hotel can't be beat. Nice beach, nearby restaurants, comfortable bed. The place is a touch worn and there is a bit of a fusty odor around the lobby, (he beach is tough on buildings), but was comfortable. The room was fine. There are painted ceramic-top tables on the balconies. There are antiques everywhere. There was a refrigerator, and I believe there was a microwave in the breakfast room (2nd floor). We stayed on the top (3rd floor), which I recommend. The breakfast is so-so. There is free parking, and free wi-fi - though it wasn't working Saturday evening and Sunday. I really like the restaurant Spasso across the way. The area has a classic CA beach vibe to it - not entirely gentrified. This was a perfect respite for us, and stays on my list for quick getaways.

Room Tip: 3rd floor - first floor view is blocked by dunes
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZiaKat
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I loved this place it was absolutely beautiful, my girls an I were at six flags during the day, I should had stayed there longer. There are some local bums and drunks that hangout by the beach but they were mostly minding their own.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

So my husband booked this room as a Valentine/Birthday surprise for me. He was a bit concerned by a few of the negative(ish) reviews about the place being run down, etc. but the negative remarks were for stuff that doesn't matter much to us so he stuck with the reservation. We are both SO GLAD that he did. We love this place and will now return over and over again. We had a third floor room looking out to the ocean. In fact ALL the rooms look out to the ocean. We slept with the sliding door open all night, listening to the surf. There was a gas fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. We loved this room. The decor is on the antique side and that's awesome. This is not a bed and breakfast. This is a hotel. Continental breakfast in the morning is coffee, pastries and juice. PERFECT!!! There is a breakfast place about 3 businesses down. You are paying for, (and getting) an amazingly comfortable bed, an unbelievable view, the sound of the surf all night, pleasant inn keepers, cozy décor and location, location, location. We love it and will be back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shae M
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Starting with the good, this property has an excellent beachfront location, steps away from a number of restaurants. Parking is free and there is a cold continental breakfast.

On to the bad, our room was in a severe state of disrepair. The list is pretty long but the main issues were in the washroom including a ghastly water damaged ceiling that had a hole large enough to see the bottom of the bathroom above. The ceiling light didn't work for some reason, so a bedside lamp was set up on the small vanity (at least there was a gfi). The bathroom door was installed improperly and scraped the tile floor when opened. The room had light switches that didn't work, and when I tried to use one lamp switch it got jammed in place. At the front desk they informed us that the heater was a fireplace, but there was no thermostat to control it (just an on-off).

As for the ugly, the carpets were beyond gross, I'm sure they're original and they felt greasy underfoot. I wore my shoes the whole time. Also, I think the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, there was a hair and dried coffee on the vanity.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, get a room facing the beach on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allison P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 23 in Ventura

Been to Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!