“Short and Sweet....Don't stay here!!!”

Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Clarita, California
“Short and Sweet....Don't stay here!!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Employees of this establishment are horrible at best. The girl that worked on Sat 6/2, must be employed here, because she inn't employable at good establishments. Her attutide is just horrible. I guess she fits in with the rest of the place.

House keeping is non-existant. Room was very dirty and un kept. The room had one blind on half of the window, the other half was broken off. It looked like the walls had various items attached at one time, but were were now ripped off of the walls. It did have a TV but the remote didn't work. The little refrigerator looked like it hadn't worked for a long time and was filthy inside. The sink drains were pluged and smelled really bad. The bathtub was so filthy it wasn't usable. The main office was usually unaccessable during the day, as the folks working here were never there and the office closed around 10 pm. Familes and Couples, definitely DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!! Singles, BEWARE!!!! Hookers, recommended. (Just remember the walls are paper thin and all of your conversations can be heard by your neighbors...

Room Tip: No satisfactory Rooms available here!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Marc H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Claremont, California
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were a bit leary after reading some of the bad reviews but with it being a holiday weekend and everything booked we took a chance. It was just as expected, a motel. Nothing fancy but much better than we expected and being able to make our own waffles was pretty fun and neat too. Its very close to the beach and thats what we wanted. We will be back.

Room Tip: we liked our room 105
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa c
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We have been coming to Ventura and have stayed here many times when we are in town. This place is on the up and up from what we have seen, we are very pleased with the direction it has taken. They have to our surprise added nice outside patios at each downstairs room! We loved that, it made us be able to enjoy ourselves with privacy. The rooms seem to be much cleaner than in the past as well. You guys are doing a good job in that department as well. The staff has always been helpful, but we encountered some new faces and they went out of their way to accommodate all requests we had. We will be back!

Room Tip: the downstairs has their own private patios :)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron J
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My friends go there on a regular basis. It is old but clean. Staff is good. we know them all by name and they remember us. The Front desk has a frequent turnover but they try to accommodate as much as possible. The wireless is not great but the staff go above and beyond to get it hooked in. We have stayed in the upstairs suite and it was great with a patio, We have also stayed in the other rooms (upstairs and downstairs). The yogurt place is across the road and the liquer store. The beach is right there and the price is great. If I have an issue, I let the front desk know and they fix it right away. you will have to go there yourself. They will let you see the rooms. Overall a very fun getaway. I am going again this weekend.

Room Tip: Look at all the rooms they have available.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Montrose, California
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Do NOT be seduced by the location! It is terribly run down and disgustingly filthy. RUN AWAY! Broken furniture. Bed sheets dirty and had hair, so I tried the next bed but could not quite sleep after that - yucky cooties! I have short red hair ... see the photo of the hair in my bath/shower! And, seriously! this is the bath mat !!!

Room Tip: Do Not stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank zimboinusa

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Marigny-le-Cahouet
Reviewed 21 January 2012

3 friends travelling up the coast and we found Shores Inn and Suites ideally located in Ventura. The price was reasonable, and so I suppose we should have checked the rooms first. Charlie and I had a room with a fabulous power shower, but the whole place reeked of smoke. The sheets were cleanish!! Beth's room was ok, not too smoky but her bathroom was horrendous, and the sheets had not been changed from the previous occupants. I have posted pics of the bath mat, and the hair in the bath. It was unacceptable. When we phoned the owner to give some constructive commentary, he was not interested, and just commented that we chose to spend the night there! We were not asking for any compensation, just trying to point out that he needed to pay a bit more attention to the cleanliness of the rooms. Very, very disappointing attitude from someone in the hospitality industry. I would not recommend this hotel/motel to anyone, and would rather spend the night in the car!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kimmit
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 September 2011

This one was hard to swallow, I had fond memories staying here during summer vacations as a youth so when we pulled into town this is the first place I stopped. Unfortunety the past 20+ years have not been kind to this place or the whole area for that matter. We arrived early afternoon obviously before the pimps and drug dealers woke up because there was little on no activity in the parking lot at the time.
I began to feel uneasy when I saw the poor condition of the office, It looked like somones dirty little crash pad rather than a place of business, there were several people in there just hanging out, smoking cigarettes and watching TV, none seemed to work there or have any idea where anyone who did work there was located. As I was turning around to leave the manager showed up and asked me if I needed help. I was reluctant after seeing the condition of the office but inquired about vacancy anyway. He said he had a great deal on an upstairs "suite" that had an ocean view that he could let me have for $80.00 per night. THANK GOD I asked to see it first before I commited... He gave me the key and pointed to the staircase around the side of the building. Once I got to the top of the stairs it was clear that some of the residents were perminant as there were personal belongings, boxes, hosehold junk, etc. piled high outside some of the doors, once I entered the "suite" I was shocked... It was a filthy old trashed out studio apartment with names and grafitti carved in the headboard, cigarette burns on the carpet, and bars on the window that supplied the tiny sliver of "ocean view" There was an old beat up TV litteraly "chained" to the wall with a 1" link chain and masterlock. We quickly turned around and got out of there. When I returned the key to the front desk and said no thank you the manager immediately said "sorry we don't do refunds" When I informed him that I had not given him any money, he just gave me a dazed and puzzled look~?
We got out of there and after calling around and finding other places full we ended up staying at the end of the street at " Inn on the Beach" and it was also in a tired rundown condition although nowhere near the creep show condition of this crackhouse.
This little beach village was quite the place in it's day. It's really sad how depressed it is has gotten....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple