“Our favorite restaurant in all of Ventura!”
Review of The SideCar Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Telegraph
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We live about 3 minutes away from the SideCar, but it sort of looked closed every time we drove by... looks can be deceiving! They are open for lunch 5 days, dinner 6 days, and the weekend brunch is STELLAR!

My wife and I finally decided to just drive into the small parking lot in back and walk in on a Sunday morning with a friend who was in town, and it blew us away when we saw the decor! The vibe is an elegant traincar, and the service and the food are both top notch!

The bloody's were the best in town by a long shot, and once I saw how perfectly they nailed the eggs benny and tasted my wife's lavender french toast with strawberry preserves, lemon curd and fresh whip cream (the menu's words, not mine! I always thought it was whipped cream, but oh well!) I was in love. We said to each other, that morning, out loud, that it was our new favorite restaurant. I have yet to try their coffee, so I can't comment on that. Not sure if they do espresso either.

We have since been back for a dinner, a lunch (on our anniversary!) and another brunch with a couple that just moved to town, and it's always excellent. The time we went for dinner they even had a jazz piano player there singing old songs, it was really nice.

HIGHLY recommend!!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

About 14 of us went for dinner to celebrate a 50th anniversary - at the table we had the filet, sea bass, ribs, salmon and someone even had a goat ragout. I didn't taste all of them, but they were all beautifully presented, and everyone finished their plates. We brought our own wine, and the staff was quite happy to pour and pour and pour.....There was a pianist in the background, perfect accompaniment. We didn't see any of the inconsistencies that have been mentioned in other posts, but then again, nobody ordered grilled cheese! Desserts were tasty, portions generous, staff were helpful. I would go there again if I lived in the Ventura area.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Went here for the second time in as many years and loved it the same both times. Built around a real 1910 vintage rail dining car the Sidecar offers good food in a comfortable setting. Of course there is a genuine restaurant built around the car so don't think it's just a narrow dining car, there is a real one built right onto it. The dining car offer a nice, classic look to the front of the establishment. The food here is always good. I had the third pound burger with seasoned fries and my wife had the braised short ribs and both were very good. The had a piano player/singer in the bar the night we were there playing classic Sinatra, Route 66, etc and it added a nice touch to the overall atmosphere. Again a wonderful dining experience. Can't wait to come back here again.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

After reading reviews I decided to try this place for lunch on a recent business trip to Ventura. We have a Sidecar in San Luis Obispo that is fantastic (not associated with the Ventura Sidecar). Also, the 805 Living magazine classified it as a "foodie" restaurant with great, fresh food (which, upon further thought, must have been a paid spot written by the restaurant). When I pulled up, I thought it was closed. No cars parked outside, and all of the shades were drawn. Bad sign. I went to the door, and it was unlocked. There was not a soul inside the place, I should have turned around and walked out. I had to go to the kitchen to tell them I was there, after waiting around with no staff in sight. I ordered the portabella sandwhich, something I often have a restaurants. It was disgusting. The mushroom was soaked in vinegar, which was totally overpowering and sour. It was on thin sliced toasted wheat bread, as in the cheap kind you get at the grocery store. I can buy better wheat bread! Maybe the dinner is better, but I will never go back to find out. And maybe this used to be a good place but has gone downhill. I should have refused to pay, after taking a few bites I couldn't finish it, too acidic. Just bad all around. Should have went to Natural Cafe, who has a great portabella sandwhich for a lot less money!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Have been here several times - price point is a little high, so only come here for special occasions, but have never been disappointed.