“great for local main street” 4 of 5 bubbles

Taj Cafe Indian Cuisine
Ranked #6 of 423 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Ventura, California, United States
“great for local main street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went to Taj recently with a friend and we had a very good meal...the waiter was pleasant & the owner/host was great...he suggested different things for us to eat and sent over some free eats as well......wonderful flavors and I had a dish with lamb chicken & shrimp ....very tasty moist, good good portion and aromatic and I think authentic but I am not Indian ,,,however i am from NY & have had Indian friends take me to very special places to dine & the food was almost as good....nice creamy rice pudding deserton a 1-10 scale a 7 maybe 8 for sure

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Marilyn F

Santa Monica, CA
“only if you really like Indian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

if Indian food is not your thing, then don't bother going here... not a very good place for food, but the service is OK.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ferdferd
Long Beach, California
“Good Food, Friendly Atmosphere, great dining experiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Decided on this restaurant after walking a couple of blocks down main street in Ventura.
The owner welcomed us in. Only table that was left was facing the Kitchen door, but we decided not to let that spoil our dining experience. The service was great and the atmosphere nice.
Great value. I recommend this place.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Photomitch
“Great Indian food, great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

During our West coast road trip we ended up in Ventura. A nice, friendly town with a pier, plenty little restaurants, bars and (lots of!) bookstores. We were really in the mood for good Indian food. My girlfriend is half Indian and we both like our Indian food authentic. We looked at the menu of Taj Cafe, right on the main road (where most of the restaurants and bars are located) of Ventura. The manager, Michael, approached us and invited us in. It appeared to be a perfect choice.The food tasted excellent, the service was perfect, the wine menu was diverse, the manager a very nice guy and the table outside a nice spot. We had papadums on the house with delicious dips, Mulligatawany Soup and Vegi Pakoras to start with, followed by an aloo gobi and a house special with chicken, garlic, tomato and spices. Four different hot sauces were put on the table, for personal spicy touch. Best restaurant experience of our 23-day-road trip and one of the best Indian food experiences in general. And we have eaten Indian food all over the world. Are you in Ventura? Or close to it? Go check the place out, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Robert K
Ojai, California
“You feel like an honored guest in someone's gracious home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The food and service at this place have been consistently excellent ever since I started going there shortly after they opened years ago. My most recent visit was yesterday for the lunch buffet, and it was just as delicious as when I order specialty items off the menu. I can't remember all of what was offered, but here's a sampling of what was available, all included for the extremely reasonable price of $9.95: salad fixings, a delicious "kachumber" (cucumber and onion) salad, dal, 3 or 4 different and varied chutneys, garlic naan (delivered to the table), a crispy eggplant appetizer, tandoori chicken, chicken tikka masala, chicken curry, mixed vegetable curry, aloo mattar, at least 1-2 more vegetarian dishes whose names I can't remember but they were yummy, white rice, brown pullao rice, mango mousse, rice pudding, and more!!! Michael, the manager, graciously seated me (alone) in the sweet alcove overlooking the street, provided me with chai tea on the house, had the waiter bring extra fresh, hot tandoori chicken to my table because the buffet dish only had one small piece left in it, and refilled my rice pudding without my asking. I felt like I was being hosted in someone's loving family home as a treasured guest. The service from all the staff was friendly but professional and extremely courteous and kind. Michael also gave me coupons for future visits which I plan to use SOON. If you live in or visit Ventura, and you love Indian food, but you haven't eaten here yet, you are seriously MISSING OUT. Don't let that happen!!!! The restaurant is right across from the Century 10 movie theater (great for date night), and there's free parking in the ramp right behind the restaurant. I have no financial interest in this place and have not received any compensation for writing this review. I just LOVE this restaurant and want it to be around for all of us to enjoy for a long, long time. One other tip: If you're vegetarian or vegan, this is a great place to eat. They are totally honest about what's in the food, and the wait staff will help you navigate through the menu to provide you with a fabulous meal. The shahi paneer is especially tasty! :-) ENJOY!!!!! :-)

• Visited September 2013