“Great place but be aware”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. Everything was great, from the girl who greeted us the evening we arrived (don't remember her name, but she was very enthusiastic) until we checked out. The beds, the sheets, towels, breakfast, view, everything was great. My only complaint --- I made the reservation and (thought) I paid for this room on line with a Discover Card. While checking in --- she asked for a card (I thought for incidentals-- like all hotels do) I gave her my (Visa credit- debit card) knowing it wouldn't be much, since I have my own phone, and the internet was free, but then --- she charged the whole weekend to that card. Only when I was checking out did I know this. I was surprised when the girl informed me -- and I complained, but she said my visa credit-debit card would be refunded in 2 days. What? If you took that amount of money off THAT card --- I would be charged and overdraft fee, PLUS I can't use my card for 2 days, because all the money is gone. I'm mad about that. I don't know if that will stop me from coming back, but they SHOULD teach their people to specify that the card you are handing them is the card that will be charged for everything ! Oh, one more thing --- they charge you $10.00 a day to park.

Room Tip: Take the tray from under you ice bucket to breakfast --- that way you can bring your breakfast back...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nanski
James B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I just returned home from a 9 day stay at this hotel. The only negative I could find was that it was just a bit dated, but it was very well-maintained and clean. The staff was courteous and helpful. The free breakfast buffet was good. The wifi was adequate for business use, and the tv had more channels than I needed. The location was ideal, both for my business and for recreation. The view of the marina and sunsets from my balcony were splendid. The building was designed to catch the sea breeze, so I rarely used the a.c. Pedestrians were made welcome in the harbor/marina area, with numerous paved pathways Rental bicycles were available at the hotel, and bike paths were evident all around.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Had 2 nights here in April 2014. Room 357 with comfy king bed, sofabed, large wardrobe, microwave & refridgerator, with balcony.

First impressions: Room had a slight musty odour when we entered, however, after opening the balcony and letting in some fresh air this soon cleared. The room was large, clean and comfy other than that.

Bathroom: Good, clean facilities with good powerful shower.

You enter the room from an out door corridor - motel style. All rooms seem to overlook the marina. The balcony in our room felt dangerous to stand on as it felt spongy and strange to walk on - but did not distract from our stay.

Breakfast was excellent and the server was very thorough and helpful making sure everything was in place and cleared/replaced quickly. An assett to the hotel.

My only major negative is the $10 + tax charge for parking per night - felt this was something that could be incorporated in the room fee. Other than this we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here as this was the best location for our next days journey to The Channel Island National Park. Our room overlooked the Marina and had a small cozy balcony to sit out on to watch the sunset. The staff was helpful and attentive. The room was clean and comfortable. I find the parking fee a bit odd. I would expect this fee in a downtown setting where space is a premium but here I don't get it. Oh well, nothing to get up in arms about I guess. The breakfast room was nice that you could also look out over the Marina as well. I think the location is perfect if you are looking at going out on the water. If you are looking for something close to the downtown, this is not for you as you will have to drive there. All in all, it met our needs for that day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel seems like a hidden Gem. My husband and I were upgraded to a sweet. We had a huge veranda a view of the harbor where we were able to watch a few sea lions play. The room is a little dated but clean and well cared for. We were only a short walk away from Island Packers the Ferry we would be taking over to the Channel Islands. The Staff was helpful, kind, and efficient. There was also a walking/running track that you could take around the harbor over to the beach. I will recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed just one night in a delightfully large and well-equipped room with a comfortable bed, microwave, fridge and wet bar. The bathroom featured a square tube with a corner seat and a toilet with the double flush system that I've only seen in Europe until now. Breakfast was excellent with a choice of many different dishes and first rate coffee. A large balcony overlooked the marina.

There are several restaurants nearby for dinner.

Room Tip: We had room 259 and it was large and comfortable with a great view of the marina.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrismaticCalifornia

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for years, but recently the "deferred maintenance" is taking a toll and it is taking on a worn and dreary feeling/look.

Plus now charges an extra $10 parking (per vehicle) which is not disclosed when making a reservation on any website... Just another case of gouging.

BUT it still is a great location and as long as you make sure you get a "Marina View" room, you will have a nice view of the harbor. It is a short walk along the harborside to the restaurants and shops at the main harbor.

Room Tip: Make sure it is a "Full Marina View".
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Hello johnny_winter

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as we greatly appreciate all the feedback we can get. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I understand the property is a bit old and we are working hard to get our property in shape. As for the Parking fee it is posted on our very own website and 3rd party websites. Again thank you for your feed back and we hope to see you again.