“Fun, Good Food, Great Service & Nice View.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joe's Crab Shack - CLOSED

Joe's Crab Shack
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
California City, California
“Fun, Good Food, Great Service & Nice View.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

1st visit to Joe's Crab Shack was great! We were celebrating my brother's birthday...and he chose the restaurant to meet up. It's a very casual beach-style restaurant with matching cuisine, which sits overlooking the beach and hwy 101.

I had the stuffed redfish...snapper stuffed with crab with a spicy sauce; my brother had grilled salmon with a pineapple salsa; both were very good. They let you make substitutions, which was great. One of our family members can't eat shellfish, and they were able to accommodate her needs with other menu options. Everything was reasonably priced; especially considering the ocean views.

Chris, the manager stopped by EVERY table introducing himself and inquiring if everything was okay, and offering assistance if we needed anything...wow...that was a nice surprise. Our waitress Christina was fantastic. They have a fun birthday ritual, which got my bro' out of his chair....you'll have visit there to see for yourself. It was fun...I wish I had a camera with me. LOL!

I give it 5 stars for the impressive attentive staff, reasonably priced food and the great views.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Los Angeles, California
“After a long day at the beach, this is a great place to eat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

After a long day at the beach area I searched on my phone for a place to eat. There a few places by the pier and after looking at the prices I decided to stay away from them. I saw there is a Joes Crab Shack. I was still parked at the beach area and was a easy walk to the restaurant. I was greeted by a staff member when entering. I was asked where I wanted to sit and decided on indoor since it was hot out. My waitress Britni came and went over the specials and new items. I was impressed at how everyone was smiling and engaging with the customers. The mood was pleasant and relaxing. I ordered a crab pot and it was probably the best crab I had in years.
Overall I really enjoyed my meal and it was a great way to end the day.

One thing to note- the prices here are a little expensive $$$

• Visited July 2014
Atascadero, California
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Typical chain restaurant that seemed tired despite the noisy décor and "beach" atmosphere. The food was ordinary and lacked the attention to detail in preparation that could have made it much better.

Visited June 2014
Lancaster, California
“rude with attitudes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our first trip to ventura.i have been to other shack locations.told boyfriend we had to go because he'd never been.we went to bar earlier in the day. Bartender was awesome and because we were staying across the street he wanted to go back for dinner. BIG mistake! Hostess says its 45 min wait. We sit at bar.diff bartender.they were out of everything ! we hear our name called, go tohostess and she is rude! With a snotty attitude tells us they already called us once and asked real nasty..is this good enough? A booth behind hostess station and as she basically throws menus down.the other hostess says real snotty how are you doing (name)..very sarcastic.the waiter was nice.we tried to ignore the attitudes but when we left I wanted to purchase a beer cozy. Omg the hostess came unglued like I was bothering her and if I was paying cash she couldnt help me.she slammed register and tossed receipt at me to sign. We'll be going back to same hotel across street but we will go out of our way next trip to go somewhere else to eat.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ventura, California
“Go somewhere else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ventura offers up a lot of great choices for restaurants leaving you with no reason to waste your time or money on Joe's. I suppose it's a good family fun spot but it's way overpriced. Don't let its cliffside location fool you--there are much better sea views in town. My husband actually likes the food. I think it's okay. Their mixed drinks are about as strong as a Shirley Temple. If you want seafood, go to Lure (downtown), Brophy Bros. (in the marina) or the upstairs bar at Eric Ericcson's. Better yet- pick up some crab legs from the grocery store and make your own crab pot.

Visited July 2013