“Locals Campground”
Review of Lake Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ventura
Lake Casitas
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We are a local to the area and this is one of our go-to's for a little escape but unfortunately it's a getaway for a lot of other locals that just treat it like a party park. Loud music throughout the campgrounds, camp spaces are maxed out beyond capacity for each site. (there is no telling were one site begins or ends) Port-a potties and vaults are always in need of cleaning or un-clogging. Campground is right on the edge of "lake no fish" we haven't caught anything from here but we've been told that it has excellent bass fishing. There is a small water park that is ok for the kiddies, ho-hum and over priced for the adults. It has a lazy river and a park play structure in water. It's a close as you get for getting wet at this lake. No swimming in the lake. We've stayed at Jay, Kingfisher & Mallard. The story is the same at all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank GreenGecko_69
There are newer reviews for Lake Casitas

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I am staying with my family in F for the second year in a row and we are all really enjoying it. The weather is excellent, the lazy river is fine, the fellow campers are mellow, the store caters to kids, not a lot of diet soda variety, cable is cool, sprinklers get stuff wet, no showers is weird, and the quiet time rule is bendable.

Room Tip: F is mainly for big fancy rigs with full hook ups...go for 19-23.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TehachapiWarren
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This review is for the Waterpark, not the camping area.

Such a small waterpark for the price to get in ($48 for 4 of us). I wish there had been a groupon!

However, we went with a group of kids (aged 6-10) and they all had a blast. There is not much there for the adults except for the lazy river, as the one little area with slides is restricted to the kids. (Parents can go up the structure with really little ones but cannot slide down.)

I think if I am in the area again (we were camping in Ojai and did this with all the kids for fun) I would perhaps consider it again, but I think I will look for other options first!

Room Tip: Park on the street instead of paying to park inside if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travlinfamily1
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well I was excited to bring my niece and kids here on a Saturday, so I checked their website a bunch of times and it seemed great. WRONG. We got there, paid $17 for parking, then, after driving for over an hour to get there that day, we were told they were SOLD OUT. What?? No mention if this anywhere on the web site, I have never heard of thus being a possibility. They were unfeeling and almost rude about it too. Never again. The kids were beyond disappointed. And also there was not one water slide, it was a kids area (that the adults aren't ALLOWED to go in, you have to stand outside and watch), all there is for adults is a lazy river, but from the fence we could see they had about half as many inner tubes as needed, so there were dozens of people waiting around for inner tubes. What a joke.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank ElleWalters
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Ok so I am reading all these reviews and thinking that some of you need to just rent motels! My friends and I have done J for 3 years in a row. We always have a blast. We rent boats, fish and do all the stuff that camping is suppose to be! But then maybe we are the loud ones having a good time not worrying about the toilets (we are smart enough to bring our own gaskets) and yes you should wear your flip flops in the shower, but wouldnt you anyways? They have a nice RV side for people who are old and need their sleep. So maybe thats what they should do is divide up sites for people who like to camp and party and people who like to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Dorothy G
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When I read all the reviews about how terrible this place is when it is full I decided to go midweek and cross my fingers. We went midweek in August and the campground as far as tents goes was only about 10% occupied...we camped in Loop C. Originally I had reserved in Loop D as the online map said a couple of sites had a water view - don't be fooled! There were some rednecks there with a loud generator so we asked to move. Loop C was bigger and has a playground and flush toilets and lots of shade. GO THERE instead of D. We got a nice spot near the playground that was isolated...there are about 4 of those types in this loop, otherwise you are pretty close but not too bad. Also if you are in C, it is not unfeasible to walk up the hill to the showers/bathrooms at the front, which are where the water park is. We drove of course :) Showers are 4 quarters for 5 minutes and they are nice and warm/hot. So remember your quarters!! There is also a shower in Loop J, which is a drive away and NO ONE was there, we had the place to ourselves when on day 2 we did not want ot wait for the showers up front to open up and went there. The showers look yucky and run down but just bring your flip flops and stay away from the walls and its fine. Speaking of Loop J, I would recommend looking in M and O for a cool lakeview tent site. M has a nice set of tent sites on the edge overlooking the lake and a nice playground structure. O has some as well. It is a totally different vibe than camping under the oaks in C. There is also frisbee golf throughout this end of the park. So consider being willing to drive to the water adventure and showers to get a sweet tent spot out this way. I can see how on a peak weekend with hundreds of tents crowded in there would be a serious bathroom problem...who really wants to use or take a dump in portolets in the heat of summer? YUCK. So I would recommend a short stay if you are there on a peak weekend. Oh yes and there are a ton of vultures in Loop C and they poop all over your car and the playground so that can be a little gross...bring something to clean with. Next time we go we will rent a boat and try some fishing. We ate breakfast twice at the Marina Cafe which has a nice view. A little pricey but hey, its vacation. All in all, go midweek and you are golden. Even the water park was not even half full on a hot day, so fun! We also drove to Magic Mountain, an hour drive one day and it was totally doable. You can also go into Ojai. So lots to do if you want to get off your butt and drive a little.

Room Tip: Look in loop M and O for a nice lake view spot. Ask to be close to playground if you have kids..
Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank finbarsmom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Much staff at the entrance but no one seen on the site.

The garbage flew over,

No lights at night in the restrooms

no (not even cold) showers around/near the campsites, 1 shower house open during the day at the VERY end of the camping and 1 shower house open at night at the entrance. These showers cost extra.

No swimming in the lake - okay... it is a water reservoir.

There is a water park, but no recuction for camping guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank ThorKevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
#2 of 5 in Ojai
Oakridge Inn
Oakridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Oak View

Been to Lake Casitas? Share your experiences!