“You are warned!”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
CARMEL
“You are warned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Buyer beware! Make reservation here at your own risk! This review has one star only because I could not do the review without a star.
I reserved a room for Sunday 2/16/2014 at this property to be near the Marina and it was pet friendly. I called at 6:00PM to say we were in our way and to confirm. Spoke with Kevin who said no problem. When we arrived, I was told they were "sending us to a different hotel as they ran out if rooms. As I was being told this, another employee waved another guest over and right in front of me said, "we found a room for you."
We were directed to a hotel over 2 miles away that was being renovated and was next to the freeway. I prepaid $170.00 for the Four Points and they were putting us in a hotel with a room rate of $89.00. I called for a refund and the manager refused saying she could not do that. When I questioned that she said she did not know how.
I asked the desk manager at the hotel if the Four Points sent a lot of business their way and they said yes, they are always overbooked. The it occurred to me, they handed me a firm letter saying they apologized for not having a room and my name and the name of the new hotel was hand written in the blank on the form.
Very, very poor service. They have not heard the last of this.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank BobBrunson
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Bob Brunson,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property,
We apologize for the inconvenience you recently experienced with your reservation. We understand how frustrating it was. Unfortunately, situations do occur when hotel inventory must be adjusted. I am very sorry you were dissatisfied with the alternate accommodations that were made available. We want all our guests feel welcomed and to stay with us..
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We used 4,000 SPG points to stay at this hotel. I knew going in it wasn't The Westin, but I expected more from a Starwood hotel. Upon arrival, I was told there were no upgrades available even though I am a gold member. That was fine, upgrades are never guaranteed. I was told to use my room key to turn on the lights, again a little odd. Then once we got to the room, our bathroom window would not shut or lock and our room was tidy, but not clean. We were also on the first floor,at the very end of the building. When we parked our car, it was supposed to be secure, but anyone could get in and out of the lot. A little frustrating when they charge $10 per day. This made me more than nervous given some of the shady people 1/2 mile away at the gas station. After an hour, I couldn't shake the bad feeling I had so we opted to check out. The guest service person barely apologized for the experience, but after a call to SPG customer service, I received a nice apology from the assistant manager.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJH-1983
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear MJH-1983,
Thank you taking the time to review your reservation at our property, We apologize that you did not feel comfortable and acknowledged as a SPG Member. I am pleased you spoke to our Manager and that he could compensate you in some way. We want our guests to have every opportunity to let us know how their stay is and we want always for it to be a pleasant stay. It was unfortunate that we could not meet your expectations. I hope you have many pleasant travels.

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

First experience walking into the lobby was an overwhelming smell of cheap cleanser, yuck. This place was dated and kind of sad. Our room was a VERY long walk from the parking lot, very inconvenient. However, we had our dog, and the convenience of the room we had was the best I've ever experienced in a hotel. Our sliding glass door opened onto an expansive grass area, perfect for having a dog. The enclosed hot tub are looked great, but unfortunately we didn't get to try it. I think I was expecting a lot more from this hotel based on the fancy-sounding name. The beds were comfortable, but the entire experience, including dinner at Alexander's, was disappointing. The low price we paid was at least fair.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ljweez
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear ljweez,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. We do love our guests with pets and become very fond of them. I am sorry you felt the rooms were inconvenient but happily, agreeable for your dog. We are always upgrading our property and trying make sure our guest are comfortable.
I hope you visit us again.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Property is simple but good value at 4000 Starpoints when I stayed (it seems to be 3000 other times). The hotel is a renovated older property, and it still has that 70s beach hotel vibe (though it is not next to a beach, but rather a marina), with simple rooms and a small patio and bathroom with a vent onto the open air hallway. My room had a bit of a musty smell as older beach properties do but I left the balcony door open, not a big deal. Other than that everything was in place. I've stayed at much worse beach motels for not much cheaper, so I wasn't complaining. The walk along the marina to Ventura Harbor restaurants is nice, though the restaurant aren't that great (Brophy Bros is your best bet). I would stay again with points if in the area and needing an SPG hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Veronica S
Dear Veronica S,
Thank you reviewing our property after your recent stay with us. We always appreciate it when we hear about our guests stays. We do have a nice location and there is so much more to see in Ventura. I like Brophy Bros in the harbor, as well as on the Santa Barbara Pier. It has been a favorite for many years, we were fortunate when they opened another restaurant here in our harbor. If you stay with us again, please let us direct you to some of our downtown restaurants. They are wonderful. We are currently upgrading our property. We hope you will like it.
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This stay was booked through SPG with points. It is a smaller property. It reminded me of a Holiday Inn Express upon check-in. The desk clerk explained to me that I needed to insert the room key into the light switch by the door to use the room lights...this was new to me. I agreed to forego daily housekeeping service because the clerk told me I could take the bonus SPG points and simply call for additional towels or whatever I needed from the front desk...this did not end up being as simple as the clerk made it seem! I self-parked the car in the nearby guest lot. There is a $10 /day fee to park. We headed to our room on the third floor. Upon opening the door, the musty room smell was very prominent. The room was adequate...nothing fancy. There was a coffee/tea maker in the room though I was barely able to drink one cup of coffee as it was pretty lousy.
There is a dome covered spa outside that looked unique. We did not visit it.
We did visit the on site restaurant, Alexander's twice for dinner. It was surprisingly good! We had a cocktail with dinner on New Year's Eve. (reasonably priced) and enjoyed our meals.

You can sometimes hear sea lions barking in the harbor from your room, but otherwise it is a fairly quiet hotel. The doors are rather heavy, so they do have a tendency to slam, and this can be heard off and on. If you are planning on doing some serious shopping, this hotel is only 15-20 minutes away from the Camarillo Premium Outlets, so it's location is great if shopping is your thing. The view off the small balcony was of a large parking lot with the boats from the harbor in the distance. You can technically see the water, but I did not consider it picturesque.

I made a phone call to request room service at 940pm and was told that the restaurant was closed despite the fact that the menu said they were open until 10pm. It got worse from here...I called back a bit later to ask for toilet paper and tea bags. . An hour later, I called the desk again and was asked which clerk took the first call. Another hour passed and I called the front desk again and the clerk said, "No one has come yet?" A security guard appeared a few minutes later with only tea bags!! I told him that we needed toilet paper. He said he would try to round some up...He returned a few minutes later with two almost empty rolls!!! I took a picture of them because I could not believe how ridiculous it was that I could not get a fresh roll of toilet paper. The only other oddity was the miniature bathtub in the unit. I felt like a hotdog in a bun in this tub. It was not relaxing in the least. I recommend you opt to shower or bathe small children in the tub because that would be the only reason to use it. I explained the toilet paper debacle at check out and received nothing more than a, "I am so sorry". I stayed at this property using credit card points, so I had a pleasant overall trip away from home for two nights. This property was more of a what you would expect from a budget hotel in my opinion. It was adequate with just a few exceptions.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mombinni
Dear mombinni,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Your comments are taken seriously and we will review with staff how we can better serve our guests. I appreciate that you did let us know what you valued about your stay. We are fortunate to have a beautiful location.
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

-for the first time in 15 years of marriage I was told by the front desk staff that I needed my husband to check in since the reservation was in his name, we have traveled all over the world and the US and this has NEVER happened before!
-we prefer when SPG properties give the option of using the breakfast coupon as the value towards a menu item, here the staff would only honor continental breakfast or $5- towards another item, continental here is $8- so why not $8 credit?
-$10 parking fee for a parking lot not next to anything, shameful that they are charging to park here! Just add it to the price instead, ridiculous.
-Our waiter at breakfast acted like he was doing us a favor by being there. I tried really hard to be nice to him, isn't that his job though?
-The seats in the restaurant were dirty, full of crumbs.
+the restaurant has a beautiful, lush patio to sit and enjoy your meal on.
+bed was comfortable, pillows were perfect
-not enough outlets in the room
-a couch in front of the outdoor room patio...awkward location
+we liked the coloring of the room but it only had one picture on the walls

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ann C
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Pat B.,
Thank you for your comments and review of your stay at our property. We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your reservation. Our staff understands the rigors of travel and we will discuss your review of our property and customer service. We appreciate knowing what you found comfortable and convenient.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor resort.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The price and the location were great, but my key card failed at least five separate times, causing me to be locked out of Room 122 and having to have housekeeping and other employees assist. When it happened the second time, at 2:15 AM, the night clerk (woman over 50) said my sleeping daughter must have flipped the latch which deactivated the key card. I explained that the two were not connected but after another employee intervened, and after pounding on the door for over 10 minutes I work her up (and other patrons, I'm sure) and she let me in. Of course, the latch was not set. Why did the employee try to embarrass me like that? The young man working knew that the manual lock and the electronic device were not connected. The next day we got locked out again, and a housekeeping lady with the master key tried for several minutes until she opened it. What if there was an emergency taking place? To add insult to injury, we even had to have the office staff buzz us into the Jacuzzi because our key cards did not work there either. Everyone admitted that there are problems with the locks, but no one offered anything more than a shrug of a shoulder and a "so what?" attitude. When I checked out I expected some sort of an apology. All I got were people avoiding eye contact.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoeWalker
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Joe Walker,
Thank you for the review of our property. I apologize that you were inconvenienced during your stay. We have discussed the issues you detailed with our staff. All our guests are special to us and we want their stay to be stress free. It is unfortunate that you felt we did not appreciate your distress. If you stay with us again, please contact me.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Service Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.