“Nice location by the harbor for family time”

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
San Jose, California
“Nice location by the harbor for family time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here for one night before the points redemption jump to 7000. Nice location by the harbor and you can watch the sunset. We had an upgrade room which is a little bigger with the harbor view. Parking was $10 with in and out access. There was no microwave in the room but the lady in the restaurant was incredibly helpful. She prep the food and gave us a tray with utensils to carry to our room. The room was clean and there are plenty of pillows. Overall, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: If you are SPG member, your room will be on the third floor and they give you upgraded room which ha...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Viet Travelers,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We are always so pleased when we have given a guest the best service and comfort. Please come and see us again.
Happy Traveling.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The 2 stars are because the night staff is great and the rooms are always nice and clean and comfortable. The GM's customer "service" is appalling to say the least, and it takes away any other positive thing I have to say about this place.

I am a stand-up comedian. I am on television regularly, and perform all over the world to packed clubs and theaters. None of that matters except that's what makes me have to travel 3 to 4 weekends out of every month. I chose to stay at the Four Points Sheraton Ventura on 3/31/2014 so that I could go do an early morning radio interview in Ventura and would not have to drive so early in the morning from Los Angeles. In fact, I do this radio interview trip about 2 to 3 times per year and I also perform in Ventura a couple times a year. I recently started booking myself at Four Points Sheraton (probably 3 visits there so far in the last year) because the quality of the other hotels in the area has really declined and this place has usually had great service and really higher quality rooms. I also joined the SPG so that I could start booking rooms on the road in Starwood properties whenever possible. However, I will not be choosing to stay here again based on my experience on the morning of April 1, 2014. I am aware that most customer service issues should be addressed at the hotel level, but the rudeness with which I was met, by General Manager Victor Dollar, was unacceptable and if I were only to send this to him at the hotel, it would fall on deaf ears, so I have sent this to the corporate offices as well as posted this on Yelp and Hotels.com. I'm shocked that this man is a General Manager with such poor people skills.

On the morning of April 1, after coming back early from doing my radio interview, I saw that there was a breakfast buffet set up right next to the lobby where they also have free coffee and tea, etc. Because I stay in a wide variety of hotels across the world several times per month, it's not uncommon for me to see this same thing most mornings from some hotels offering a free morning breakfast. It looked like things were wrapping up and there were only a few people hanging around the buffet and so I proceeded to pour myself some oatmeal and got some fruit. As I was walking back into the lobby, an older man in a suit came up to me (did not introduce himself) and said, loud enough for everyone around us in the lobby to see and hear, that the food was for a conference going on in the nearby conference room and that I needed to "put that down right now"...

Now, I'm sure we weren't the only ones to ever make that mistake before at 9am right next to the lobby with free coffee and tea with other people milling about fixing plates. However, a simple, "sir, I think you've made a mistake..." approach would have sufficed. OR EVEN A SIGN AT THE BUFFET? But to be publicly embarrassed and told to "put that down" as if I were a child or an animal or as if I were a thief is just unacceptable. I got angry and placed my plate at the man's feet for him to pick up instead.

Now, I'm a big, loud person who is used to being heard on stage by thousands of people at a time, so of course I made my feelings loudly known to the man for speaking to me like that. I told him he should speak to people with respect and he should apologize. Everyone heard my feelings on the matter, I'm sure, and I did also accuse the man of being racist (I am Mexican American) because of the way this man felt so comfortable speaking to me in such a demeaning, belittling tone. I am not accustomed to being spoken to like that. I asked the man if he worked there and the man said yes, but he never said what he did there or what his name was. He just started walking away as I was voicing my anger at him. He never tried to fix the situation or apologize in any way.

Afterward, when I was checking out, I asked the front desk person who that man was and I was told he was the General Manager, Victor Dollar. I am appalled that any GM would ever speak to a guest that way. We weren't being sneaky or anything, either. In fact, I had gone to the front desk to ask about brown sugar with the oatmeal in my hand. I was obviously confused about the situation, but the GM didn't recognize this as a simple mistake, but rather accused me as though I were trying to steal from this buffet that had already wrapped up for the morning.

The Guest Services Manager does not seem to do anything to resolve these customer complaints except make excuses. Luckily, I have a voice, a popular podcast with thousands of listeners, radio interviews, 39,000 Facebook followers and 17,000 twitter followers. I will have to make my voice heard that way.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful and relaxing and the rest of the staff is always so pleasant - especially the night time staff with whom we normally check in. Those people should be applauded. This man, Victor, should be remanded to customer service training 101.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Felipe E
James B, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
Dear Felipe E, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online.
I apologize for any misunderstandings and I assure you, we never meant to accuse you of being a thief.

James B
Director of Sales

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night prior to the start of a Gordon Research Conference. The rooms are a decent size and the hotel pool is nice. It is near the marina, which is a nice area to walk to. The hotel rooms are comfortable and generous in size. The hotel does room service - important if you have travelled from Europe and want breakfast at 6am. Downside, and why I only stayed one night, I wanted a view of the marina. My marina view room, 212, did not have this. The view was obscured by a tree and building. Even without this the large balcony precluded seeing any boats unless standing. I moved next door to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Doormouse2,
Thank you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay, with your conference. I am sorry we did not have a room with a view for you but very pleased that we could arrange a room with a view. I hope you will come to visit again someday. Happy Traveling.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

As we were checking in, we were told that we needed to pay for parking. The parking fee was not listed for the hotel description when we booked it.

The walls are so thin, you can hear everything that's going on next door and every movement upstairs. If I didn't have my ear plugs, I would not have been able to sleep at all.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear the_orangie,
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. We want our guests to be informed and comfortable, I apologize for any discomfort you experienced. Please let us know when you prefer a quieter area. We try to accommodate our guest requests.
Federal Way, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

You hear the name "Sheraton", you think you are staying at a hotel. But Four Points means outside entrances. You do, however, get to pay a lot for parking like the fancy places, despite the fact that there is loads of parking. The place was pretty noisy. The tile floor in the bathroom was COLD. The beds were great however, and the place was clean, so all was okay but not great. The location is fun.

1 Thank rubbertgator
Dear Rubbertgator,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. We are a Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation design and have an outdoor concept. I am happy you did enjoy the location and our beds. We hope you will stay with us again and we can tell you about our design and history. I am sorry about the cold floor.
Taylorsville, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed one night here and the everything was wonderful. When I arrived to check in there was a line and two clerks helping, the manager came out of her office and helped me to speed things up. She was very warm and helpful. She told me all about the hotel and places to eat around town.
Our room was clean and nice. The beds comfortable and the bathroom is huge. Paying 10$ for parking was a bit much when anyone really could come and go as they want. But the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Checkout was smooth and the woman very nice, and there was coffee in the lobby. Next time we would like to use more of their attractions, but we will stay here next time we're in Ventura.

Room Tip: If you have kids ask for a garden view first floor room. You can walk right out of your room and let...
Dear Emily515,
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Harbor soon!

James B
Director of Sales
CARMEL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Buyer beware! Make reservation here at your own risk! This review has one star only because I could not do the review without a star.
I reserved a room for Sunday 2/16/2014 at this property to be near the Marina and it was pet friendly. I called at 6:00PM to say we were in our way and to confirm. Spoke with Kevin who said no problem. When we arrived, I was told they were "sending us to a different hotel as they ran out if rooms. As I was being told this, another employee waved another guest over and right in front of me said, "we found a room for you."
We were directed to a hotel over 2 miles away that was being renovated and was next to the freeway. I prepaid $170.00 for the Four Points and they were putting us in a hotel with a room rate of $89.00. I called for a refund and the manager refused saying she could not do that. When I questioned that she said she did not know how.
I asked the desk manager at the hotel if the Four Points sent a lot of business their way and they said yes, they are always overbooked. The it occurred to me, they handed me a firm letter saying they apologized for not having a room and my name and the name of the new hotel was hand written in the blank on the form.
Very, very poor service. They have not heard the last of this.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank BobBrunson
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Bob Brunson,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property,
We apologize for the inconvenience you recently experienced with your reservation. We understand how frustrating it was. Unfortunately, situations do occur when hotel inventory must be adjusted. I am very sorry you were dissatisfied with the alternate accommodations that were made available. We want all our guests feel welcomed and to stay with us..