“Moved us to Holiday Inn Express”

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Seattle
“Moved us to Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I booked my room through Priceline and was looking forward to checking out this hotel. However, at check-in I was informed that they did not have any rooms and that I would be staying at the Holiday Inn Express next door. They assured me that it was "the same" and I could still use all of their amenities. There was another family checking in that had booked their room through Expedia and informed of the same situation. The folks at the Holiday Inn were friendly and indicated that this was a common situation: the Sheraton overbooks guests and sends them next door. Although the hotels are not owned by the same company, they have the same management. I don't care what anyone says, Sheraton is not the same as a Holiday Inn. Beware if you book through a third party! I even called to confirm my room and they never told me that I would be sleeping elsewhere!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Oliver02
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Oliver02,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent reservation at our property. We want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. There are occasions when the occupancy of a property must be adjusted and it can be very stressful to our guests. If you come to stay with us again, please contact me and let me know. We appreciate our guests and want them to have a comfortable stress free stay. We have discussed your comments with Management.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Arnold, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We liked the convenience and quality we found in the restaurant and lounge. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The AAA package included a full breakfast in the restaurant, an especially excellent deal. The view from our room overlooked dumpsters and a service lot, so ask about the view when you check in.

The location is close to shopping and restaurants a short drive away.

We would consider coming back.

Room Tip: Ask about the view from your room when checking in.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joe C.,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments on our restaurant and staff. I hope you will visit us again and enjoy our summer weather. Happy Traveling!
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was clean, nicely updated, the staff were lovely, it was a short drive to the beach and I would recommend it to anyone. The restaurant was good and the room service was prompt. Parking was ample.

Room Tip: the harbour view was great
Green Features: I liked the light saver card control. Everything else seemed about the same as other hotels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
James B, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
Dear Sandy M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Harbor soon.

James B
Director of Sales
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I picked this hotel to stay near Santa Barbara and use my Starwood points. The hotel is conveniently located next to the 101 highway.

I did not have high expectations for this hotel or for Ventura, but was happily surprised by the relatively big rooms (including a big bathroom), the beautiful harbor view and other ammenities which I did not use such as the tennis courts. The staff were nice and helpful as it is usually the case at Starwood hotels.

The restaurants by the harbor village (3 minutes drive) were nice and offered plenty of choices at a reasonable price (and overlooking the marina). Seafood restaurant Brophy Bros was excellent.

I would definitively stay here again if traveling the same route.

Stayed April 2014
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Mariano L,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property. I am so happy you enjoyed the comfort and services we have. The Harbor is lovely and we like the restaurants too. There are many activities in Ventura as well as Santa Barbara that are so convenient. We are pleased you had a pleasant trip.
Layton
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed for three nights at the Four Points Sheraton in Ventura. We used to lived in Oxnard (10 minutes south of Ventura) for 23 years but retired to Utah in 2005. Because we belong to the SPG and had stayed at a number of Sheraton and Westin hotels we were not disappointed at this hotel. We were greeted warmly by the front desk staff when we check in and was given a harbor view room. That was nice, except their was a big tree in front of our window. Oh well, the harbor is only a few minutes away and since we didn't really stay that much in our room, I didn't make such a big fuss about it. We were also celebrating my birthday and had invited some friends to stop by and join us. However, there was a convention going on and the restaurant was occupied, so we ate at the lounge . The staff at the bar was very accommodating and very pleasant in getting our drinks and food. When my husband told our server (I believe her name is Alicia) that it was my birthday, she brought out 2 slices of cheesecake for our party (there were only 6 of us) and I really appreciate her thoughtfulness. The room was very adequate and we participated in the Green Program for the hotel and there was ample towels and supplies during our stay. will stay again next time we're visiting Ventura.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becktom
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Becktom,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and leave such a nice compliment for Alicia. Our staff love our guests and try to help them be as at home as possible. It is always nice to return to our former home and still feel welcome. If you come again, please let us know so we can be ready to say" Welcome Home".
Happy Traveling.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here for one night before the points redemption jump to 7000. Nice location by the harbor and you can watch the sunset. We had an upgrade room which is a little bigger with the harbor view. Parking was $10 with in and out access. There was no microwave in the room but the lady in the restaurant was incredibly helpful. She prep the food and gave us a tray with utensils to carry to our room. The room was clean and there are plenty of pillows. Overall, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: If you are SPG member, your room will be on the third floor and they give you upgraded room which ha...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Viet Travelers,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We are always so pleased when we have given a guest the best service and comfort. Please come and see us again.
Happy Traveling.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The 2 stars are because the night staff is great and the rooms are always nice and clean and comfortable. The GM's customer "service" is appalling to say the least, and it takes away any other positive thing I have to say about this place.

I am a stand-up comedian. I am on television regularly, and perform all over the world to packed clubs and theaters. None of that matters except that's what makes me have to travel 3 to 4 weekends out of every month. I chose to stay at the Four Points Sheraton Ventura on 3/31/2014 so that I could go do an early morning radio interview in Ventura and would not have to drive so early in the morning from Los Angeles. In fact, I do this radio interview trip about 2 to 3 times per year and I also perform in Ventura a couple times a year. I recently started booking myself at Four Points Sheraton (probably 3 visits there so far in the last year) because the quality of the other hotels in the area has really declined and this place has usually had great service and really higher quality rooms. I also joined the SPG so that I could start booking rooms on the road in Starwood properties whenever possible. However, I will not be choosing to stay here again based on my experience on the morning of April 1, 2014. I am aware that most customer service issues should be addressed at the hotel level, but the rudeness with which I was met, by General Manager Victor Dollar, was unacceptable and if I were only to send this to him at the hotel, it would fall on deaf ears, so I have sent this to the corporate offices as well as posted this on Yelp and Hotels.com. I'm shocked that this man is a General Manager with such poor people skills.

On the morning of April 1, after coming back early from doing my radio interview, I saw that there was a breakfast buffet set up right next to the lobby where they also have free coffee and tea, etc. Because I stay in a wide variety of hotels across the world several times per month, it's not uncommon for me to see this same thing most mornings from some hotels offering a free morning breakfast. It looked like things were wrapping up and there were only a few people hanging around the buffet and so I proceeded to pour myself some oatmeal and got some fruit. As I was walking back into the lobby, an older man in a suit came up to me (did not introduce himself) and said, loud enough for everyone around us in the lobby to see and hear, that the food was for a conference going on in the nearby conference room and that I needed to "put that down right now"...

Now, I'm sure we weren't the only ones to ever make that mistake before at 9am right next to the lobby with free coffee and tea with other people milling about fixing plates. However, a simple, "sir, I think you've made a mistake..." approach would have sufficed. OR EVEN A SIGN AT THE BUFFET? But to be publicly embarrassed and told to "put that down" as if I were a child or an animal or as if I were a thief is just unacceptable. I got angry and placed my plate at the man's feet for him to pick up instead.

Now, I'm a big, loud person who is used to being heard on stage by thousands of people at a time, so of course I made my feelings loudly known to the man for speaking to me like that. I told him he should speak to people with respect and he should apologize. Everyone heard my feelings on the matter, I'm sure, and I did also accuse the man of being racist (I am Mexican American) because of the way this man felt so comfortable speaking to me in such a demeaning, belittling tone. I am not accustomed to being spoken to like that. I asked the man if he worked there and the man said yes, but he never said what he did there or what his name was. He just started walking away as I was voicing my anger at him. He never tried to fix the situation or apologize in any way.

Afterward, when I was checking out, I asked the front desk person who that man was and I was told he was the General Manager, Victor Dollar. I am appalled that any GM would ever speak to a guest that way. We weren't being sneaky or anything, either. In fact, I had gone to the front desk to ask about brown sugar with the oatmeal in my hand. I was obviously confused about the situation, but the GM didn't recognize this as a simple mistake, but rather accused me as though I were trying to steal from this buffet that had already wrapped up for the morning.

The Guest Services Manager does not seem to do anything to resolve these customer complaints except make excuses. Luckily, I have a voice, a popular podcast with thousands of listeners, radio interviews, 39,000 Facebook followers and 17,000 twitter followers. I will have to make my voice heard that way.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful and relaxing and the rest of the staff is always so pleasant - especially the night time staff with whom we normally check in. Those people should be applauded. This man, Victor, should be remanded to customer service training 101.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Felipe E
Dear Felipe E, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online.
I apologize for any misunderstandings and I assure you, we never meant to accuse you of being a thief.

James B
Director of Sales

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels