“Perfect- but no feeling”
Review of Cafe Zack

Cafe Zack
Ranked #19 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2013

From my phone reservation, to being received to our server, everyone was efficient.

Service was perfect as was the food-- very professional, but unemotional. The only person we encountered who expressed any emotion and warmth was the bus boy.

This is the best food in Ventura, but not the best dining experience.

We will try it again for sure-- it could be so much more.

1  Thank j0hnnywinter

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I only went because it was ranked # 1 on Trip Advisor. This restaurant has been around a long time. It was amazing. I was so impressed with the creativity of the chef's appetizers and specials. There are very few restaurants I have patronized that could even come close to compare. I highly recommend this local gem to my neighbors and cerainly to guests. Spectacular food.

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

My wife & I visited Zack's for our anniversary. Food was good (not excellent), service was marginal (20 minute wait to refill undersized water glasses), view was poor (unless you like to look at a Jiffy Lube), eating area extremely tight & tables almost on top of each other. Too pricey for the atmosphere & dining experience. We will not go back.

4  Thank Charlie7770
Reviewed 14 June 2013

What more can you ask of a restaurant than to always know an excellent meal is awaiting you. It obvious after your first experience why this establishment is always rated at the top, or near the top, of any restaurant rating system. Its unimposing structure, a converted home, belies the expert skills of the chef and his staff that lies within. A hallmark of this food icon in Ventura is its concern for excellence. Nothing is more important than customer satisfaction and their need to serve their patron's needs. As 20 year plus regular, I heartily endorse Café Zack.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Let me start by saying that my husband and I were here over two (2) years ago so things may have changed since then. But, we live about two miles away which means we weren't all that impressed to attempt a return visit in the last 24 months. And we eat out about twice a week. Compared to other Ventura restaurants, Cafe Zack just doesn't compete in value (and possibly all the rave reviews built up my expectations). The food is good and the menu offers some interesting choices, but at that price, I want to be eating in an environment, brimming over with character. Some kind of character. I don't want to see old floors and dingy institutional carpet. Cafe Zack has SO much potential and you'd think from its cute, garden-like exterior that you'd be enjoying your lobster sweet corn risotto inside a sweet, quaint cottage with birds chirping and fountains flowing. I exaggerate. I guess all I'm saying is that if you don't care about ambience, go ahead and pay $33 for the wild boar which will surely delight your taste buds. I just think Ventura has better restaurants at a comparable price or less.

2  Thank Laura C

Been to Cafe Zack? Share your experiences!