“The very best "pepper steak" in Ventura ! Cooked in French technique!”
Review of Cafe Zack

Cafe Zack
Ranked #32 of 427 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Ventura, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The very best "pepper steak" in Ventura ! Cooked in French technique!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Every time we go to Cafe Zack (more than a decade ), we always try to order something else other than the filet and New York pepper steaks. But when you find the most wonderful pepper steak on the So. California coast, you have no choice but to give in and order them and their beyond good sauce. They will even give you the dinner menu at lunch if you ask. The food has always been perfectly cooked and dressed, the wine, perfect by glass or bottle and well priced. The service is beyond excellent always, not smothering, just good attentive service. We go for every birthday, anniversary, and anytime we want a reliable meal.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lynda W

Kuwait
“Intimate Little Restaurant, very good food”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My daughter and I came upon this restaurant by chance, and we were happy that we did. The food was very good, well-presented and well-served. the wine list isn't bad, and the deserts are great I recommend the creme brûlée. They have Gruet champagne on the wine list--if you like champagne, give it a try. It's very inexpensive for its quality, made in Albuquerque by a family with a winery in the champagne region of France. Excellent value. Simple but quiet ambience.
This appears to be a local favorite, based on the conversations we heard around us.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank kuwait08
Missoula, Montana, United States
“The Devil's in the Details”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

First, let me tell you it was GREAT food, 3 of 4 of us LOVED the meal. I had a seafood pasta curry dish and it was wonderful. It's interesting that often a place that's NOT busy has less than great service. With only four other diners we waited for the waiter while he and the maitre d were both on their cell phones...we wished we had their phone numbers so we could call for service, and I wondered if they were talking to each other? The maitre d did recommend a great wine, and after the slow start, the service improved. I'm no nose-in-the-air regarding atmosphere, after all quality of food is most important, so the restaurant-in-a-house didn't bother me. If rustic doesn't bother you, give this well established place the benefit of the doubt. facebook.com/ljmartinauthor

• Visited January 2014
Oxnard, California
“Little Gem”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great little restaurant made from a cottage just off Thompson Boulevard. The waiters purchased this restaurant from the previous owners and made it what it is today. They never forget your name and always hug patrons on the way in. The food is extraordinary and the service impeccable! The cost is less than most restaurants of this caliber and it has an amazing wine list. We love it!

• Visited January 2014
Ventura, CA
“FIne Dinning in A Very Intimate Atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was by far one of the best meals I have eaten in the last year at one of my own hometown restaurants. I do not know why we have not tried this place before. It may be the size. This place is tiny; a old converted home with only two rooms. It also always seems busy. I am glad we tried. To begin with the wait staff and help are exemplary. Friendly, helpful smiling. It doesn't hurt that they are the owners but in this case they go above and beyond to make you feel warmly welcome. WE were seated in the back room which is a little less noisy. A converted patio I believe with a space heater to maintain warmth in the winter. It was cosy and warm. I had the bone in rib eye. 12 oz with an incredible maytag blue cheese based sauce. Excellent. For dessert a homemade apple dumpling with fresh ice cream. Very good.
I can't fully describe how nice these people are. One try and they remember your name. Great spot.

• Visited December 2013