“It was better before!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Ventura, California
“It was better before!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We came by last night to celebrate our anniversary. That's when we learned of the new name and new ownership. Nonetheless, we decided to give it a go. We did not receive a friendly greeting at the door. The waitress was grumpy, which is a detractor. Most of the menu is the same but the food was okay, not as flavorful as before. I suggest they go back to the old way of giving a bowl of miso soup. That was a nice touch. The prices were much higher than they used to be.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Ventura, CA
“Best in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This live in Ventura and this is my favorite restaurant in Ventura The quality of the food, especially the sushi, is fresh, cut and prepared well with special sauces, cucumber, decor. And ... It melts in your mouth.
We like to sit at the bar and have Yuji as our chef. We enjoy the green mussles, red dragon roll and the Alaskan roll. For larger fish platters we like the thin sliced Tuna with fried onions and also the mahalo tuna. Staff is attentive and friendly. Everyone we meet there loves the food and environment. It's a must go!

• Visited February 2014
Oxnard, California
“Old days are gone”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Well, I'm a long time resident of Ventura County. I've been going to Sushi Marina for years! Family owned...well, used to be family owned. I've been out of the area for about two years, and decided to swing by for some dinner. walking up to the place it looked like I remembered. I was looking forward to some of my favorite foods. mama san mad e the best kashu.
Well, that's where the familiarity ends. As soon as I walked in I notice Table clothes??? Where is the familiar greeting from mama san? Gone is that local beach feel that was a part of Ventura for many many years. Now its like every other corporate Sushi restaurant that are a dime a dozen in most cities. Food was just ok, nothing special. I can go to a half dozen other sushi restaurants in the county and get the same thing.
A little history. Sushi Marina used to be the old Grey Hound Bus Depot back in the 50's and maybe into the 40's. It was still used as a bus depot though the 70's. Where the sushi bar is now was the old diner. I used to eat there when I was in my 20's. I would get the blue plate special. Which helped my pocket book back then. Out with the old and in with the new may not always be the best thing...

MB
10/31/2013

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Michael B
Ventura, California
“Ventura's Best Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Sushi Marina has been quite good in the past, but under its new ownership, it's now on a completely different level. Albacore sashimi with crispy fried onions, generous Lobster Dynamite rolls, Tuna on Fire, gorgeous presentations and great happy hour deals (ending at 6:30 pm). Sit at the bar and chat up the quirky chefs. It's a small hidden place located in a "quad" off of California just below Santa Clara in downtown ventura. The price per plate has gone up a bit but I believe you get more quantity and quality for your dollar. I cannot recommend Sushi Marina enough!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Laura C
Los Angeles, California
“Great Local Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband and I were down in the area to do some heavy duty thrift store shopping on Main Street. After a long afternoon of treasure hunting we decided it was high time to get some food. As close to the ocean as we were, sushi seemed like a pretty obvious choice. After passing by a couple larger seafood places, we poked out heads in to this little place on the corner that looked like it might be pretty friendly.

We were so pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sushi here. The sushi chef/owner here is clearly going out of his way to get great quality stuff on a daily basis. The sushi was just so fresh and tasty. I ordered some salmon sushi -which sounds pretty simple enough, right?- but it was just so savory, tender and delicious I had to have more. My husband is a big shellfish fan so he had a spicy scallop handroll and also a baked blue crab handroll, and absolutely loved both. He was raving too about how fresh and clean everything tasted.

Just had to give a holler out to this little neighborhood spot, it was a perfect finish for our day in Ventura.

• Visited March 2013