“Really yummy!”

Casa DE Soria
Ranked #42 of 436 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Authentic, fresh tasting, good portion sizes, great margaritas, reasonably priced. What more can I say?

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have lived in/visited Ventura on and off since 1969 and this is the first I heard of this place. First a caveat - it looks like half the building is blocked off and undergoing renovation or they are expanding into the other half so some of my comments may be off.

A party of of four (wife, brother in law, and 15 year old nephew) arrived at around 6:45 PM on Tuesday 26 Nov. There was a crowd at the door and we were put on the list (party number eight it looked like) and told about 20 minutes. Good thing the weather was nice that night (currently being from northern Utah we were comfortable but the in-laws said it was cool). When we got in the decor was rough, seating close, and we had a booth that fit our four taller and/or wider party rather snugly, so if you are expecting Taco Bell seating, forget it (but then the food here is much better than TB also).

First disappointment was the initial chips and salsa, there was barely enough for one of us much less the three males who love a good salsa (we did get a much larger basket and more salsa 15 minutes later). But other than the very tight fit at the table and the initial wait that was the only real disappointment for the setup.

Waiters were friendly, if a bit rushed, orders taken in a reasonable time and the food arrived as expected, considering the crowd. We ordered dinners, the nephew had the three taquitos and a taco on the side, the wife the three cheese enchiladas, the brother in law a burrito of some sort, and I had the tamale/chili verde and rellenos. The others thought the food was good, and while the tamale was good (I like a thick tamale with lots of masa) the filling was kind of dry, hap hazard, and sparse but the chili verde was better than average but mild for a place like this. The chili rellenos were a disappointment, it was more like a thick dough with strips of pepper in it - not recommended if you have had real chili rellenos (note: Mexican food is a wide range of cooking even for the same thing, maybe this is just a different variety). The rice was rice, the beans were different than most places and were good.

Over all I would rate Casa de Soria as a place to go again if I was not in a hurry, it has a wide selection of items that i would like to try. Based only on what I had I would rate the food as a 2.5, but the others said that they had at least a 4 for this type of place (and the salsa is at least a 4). Decor is around a 3, parking is good with street and at least one side lot. Staff was a 5, even though they were running fast to keep up with the crowd. And if the crowd is not bad, there are a few outdoor tables. Oh, and we did NOT go away hungry! Total bill was $45 with one soda ordered and they refilled that when it was down to about 1/8 of a glass without asking, not bad.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have been eating at Casa DE Soria since I was a little girl, over 40 years!!!! I have not lived in Ventura for over 20 years but whenever I go home I must eat here! The beans are the best refried beans you will ever encounter... just thinking about them makes my mouth water!! If you are looking for authentic Mexican food, great prices and out of this world refried beans... this is your place!!

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Was in Ventura this weekend and as always, had to go to Casa De Soria, my favorie Mexican Restaurant in the world. I have eaten there for years and I have never been dissappointed. The have the best tamalies ever. The product never changes, although this time the salsa was pretty spicy. I have never heard a bad word about this place. We always go with a group and see lots of different dishes. All look great. Thank you for paying attention to your product and service. Even if you wait, which you might have to as the place is not very big, you will for sure enjoy the meal.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The beans at Casa are the best in town. I enjoy the beef tacos and bean tostada. The chips are made fresh from real tortillas and the salsa has great homemade taste. Looking forward to the expansion of Casa de Soria and it now has a big parking lot. No more walking across the street or parking 3 blocks away. Lunch time is a great time to eat at Casa, not as crowded as dinner time. Always a great meal.

Been to Casa DE Soria? Share your experiences!