“Loved our stay!”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Cincinnati, OH
“Loved our stay!”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We were a bit leery about having booked our room at this hotel after reading some of the reviews on here, but I was very pleasantly surprised! We got a great rate on a suite, which was nice to have that second room for our toddler to sleep in. The view from our balcony was beautiful, and it was fun to watch the surfers every morning. And, we LOVED the fact that there was a playground for our son to play at every day just outside the hotel on the beach.

I've read the reviews by people who complained about the train noise...I'm telling you: I'm one of the lightest sleepers in the world, and I didn't wake up once at night. Can you hear them during the day? You bet. But honestly, how much time will you be in the room during the day with the balcony door open?

Yes, the bed is a bit firm for my taste, but I slept great. There isn't much counter space in the main bathroom, but if you have a suite, the 2nd bath is larger and has more counter space. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, and we also enjoyed the restaurant. I don't understand people who complain about the price of hotel food: It's ALWAYS going to be expensive! There are a ton of restaurants to choose from, either in walking distance, or a short drive away.

Now, about the homeless: Yes, there are lots of them around...but it IS California. They're pretty much everywhere due to the warm climate. But I never felt threatened, and I even went for two jogs down the boardwalk by myself, as well as taking our son for walks without my husband there.

The location of this hotel is great! And if you're going to explore other areas like we did (Santa Barbara or Santa Monica), this is a great central area to stay!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank TigerFamily_08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Ventura, Ca
Reviewed 2 March 2010

A true gem. But, not for all the obvious reasons.
Yes, the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the Ventura Promenade (previously the Holiday Inn) has recently been updated inside. However, the true metamorphasis was for it's staff. Crowne's staff and management have combined to embrace a philosophy of CARE that is both refreshing and unique. Current corporate Hotel & Restaurant Management cultures love to market their nuturing atmosphere, while few actually exude it. Bravo Dave, Gabby, Aaron, Mr. McCormick (late night security), Rueben and Danny!
You live and breathe it - Thanks for the smiles!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Talldrinkowater
VENTURA
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We really enjoyed our stay, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable and soft. The food at the C - Street cafe was awesome. From what I understand is that they have the biggest art gallery in Ventura county which is very appealing to the eye as you walk in. With the hotel being 15 feet from the sand of the beach the view from our room was amazing. We highly recommend the Crowne Plaza for your next stay in Ventura.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOWNCHAMP
GKCMP, Director of Marketing at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, 12 February 2010
Thank you so much for your review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel.

We truly appreciate your kind comments and we ae pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We look forward to hosting you and your friends, family, and professional colleagues throughout the year.

Enjoy the rest of your travels through the beautiful Southern California coastline. We hope you get time to savor the great sunny days we are enjoying in February and that you get a chance to revel in the view of the Santa Barbara Channel Islands.

Please keep writing reviews as you travel, as it is a great service for travelers and venues alike.

Safe Travels,

The Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Forestville, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 9 February 2010

As a Platinum Priority Club Member - that means I've stayed at 100's of their hotels, I was "amazed" at the "perks" of staying at this Crown Plaza hotel - read on and hold on!!!

As a THANK YOU for my patronage I got:
1. To pay $10/night for parking.
2. To pay $7/day for internet.
3. To buy breakfast at Denny's/McDonalds since they did not provide it for free as all the Crowne's I've stayed at do.
4. To hear the heat/air conditioning loudly wake me up in the middle of the night although I wear ear plugs.
5. To work out in a workout room where the garbage was over spilling, they had no water and forget the pop up cleansing cloths that every other hotel has. Why would we need it. I like to touch other people's sweaty machines.
6.To hear my phone continuously ring at all hours for some strange reason.
7. Coupons to the bar - for alcoholic drinks that I don't drink.
8. A ho-hum room that looks like anything you would get a regular hotel - some upgrade.

And I won't even get on about the meeting room I had.

I guess that they don't realize that there is a recession on or that there is a cheaper Country Inn and Suites close by that has free parking, internet and breakfast.
Walk to their view and stay elsewhere because the only thing this hotel has going for it is it's view. If I could have changed I would, but I was STUCK here on business.
I would talk about it's excellent customer service and cleanliness of the rooms. But shouldn't you be getting that at hotel anyway - no matter what you rank!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank spachick

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2010

This hotel is a bit of a landmark on the drive from LA to Santa Barbara. It's a solo highrise along a flat drive along the beach.
I was taking my son to look at schools in Ojai and we decided to stay at the beach, rather than in land.
The hotel is a highrise, right on the beach and a short walk from downtown Ventura. The lobby is busy with a popular lobby bar. The hotel has been redone not too long ago and has some bright modern colors. Check-in was painless and fine.
Our room was on the 7th floor and had a partial oceanview. Although you had to look across all the hotel's air conditioning units on the roof under our window. But if you look past the roof clutter the view impressive.
There was nothing offensive about the room. But it was plain. There is nothing that jumps out to you as special. Two beds, a desk and small bathroom. It was fine and clean.
The one complaint I had was that our pre-ordered room service breakfast never showed up. We had to reorder our breakfast and that made our day start late. There was never an apology about it.
Also I agree with other reviews that say $10.00 a day to park is crazy. This hotel is in Ventura - not New York or San Francisco. The lot was almost empty when we were there and I have to say to pay $10.00 a day for parking at a hotel in Ventura is a rip off.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Bakersfield
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We stayed 3 nights in adjoining rooms with our adult children. We seemed to have gotten a 50% discount because it was the off season. If you are looking for a comfy beachfront hotel with a friendly attentive staff, this hotel is for you. The lounge, lobby and other common areas have been renovated and are very attractive. I think the it would be excellent if they were to invest in double paned windows to drown out some of the highway and train whistle noise. The beds were not as comfy as we would have hoped, but when all was said and done, we had a lovely time connecting with family. It seemed that other families were enjoying themselves as well.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank calidreamgirl
GKCMP, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, 26 January 2010
We appreciate the positive feedback. We work hard to please every guest that comes to visit us here on Ventura Beach. We are excited about some recent improvements to our products and services based on recommendations from our customers. Your collective feedback is behind a number of new upgrades and enhancements being implemented during the first quarter of 2010.
Thank you all for your input and continued support. You are the reason that we continue our daily mission to be the hotel guests love.
Cali
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I stayed 1 night in the Ventura location. I was charged for a newspaper I stated I didnt want, I paid to park in the hotel lot, as a guest there, no validation...10.00 every exit and enter into the lot. Hotel charged my credit card $50.00. When I called to ask what the charges were for, the management told me it was to cover any incidentals. They said it is their policy to pre charge the customer, just in case you order something! Rooms are small, next to the train track, it was clean but over priced. I will never stay there again. Also, there were dogs everywhere, most every guest had a dog in their room. My family is allergic to dogs, so a bummer for us that we were not told this.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family