“Great location. Noisy though.”

Vagabond Inn Ventura
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
All Over The Silver State
“Great location. Noisy though.”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Not a lot to look at from the outside, but the Vagabond has a lot going for it. The rooms are kept up, the service is great (Jenny, I'm talking to you!) and the location can't be beat. Walking distance from downtown, and a short walk from a bridge that crosses the freeway and train tracks delivers you to the Ventura Pier and a very good seafood restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, the diner-style place on the premises is somewhere you'll want to vist even if you sleep somewhere else. "Old School" with great service and a good menu.
Wifi works and TV gets HBO and lots of other channels.
I can't say the place is perfect though. Soundproofing is poor. Any noise in the parking lot will be heard easily (Front wall is mostly window, ceiling to floor). The guy in the next room had a cold or the flu. We heard every cough, sneeze and word out of his mouth. Things did quiet down later though. Advice: Set the switch on the wall by the TV to "cool" and turn on the AC unit above the fridge to "fan only". The room held the heat we ran earlier and never got cold.
On another review, rooms 101-104 are recommended. we had 103, and it seemed to be a good choice, though second floor might be better. The rooms in the back are near the pool and train tracks, so if you stay back there, bring earplugs.
We started out irritated. We left thinking we'll probably return.

Room Tip: Away from the back.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thank you for the review. I will make sure that Jenny sees this review and your kind words. I'm glad you are thinking you will return. The walls are a bit thin. We refurbish several rooms each year and your comments are appreciated. I will mention to the owner that we should look at the possibilities of better soundproofing when we are redoing the rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Forestville, California
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Ventura is our mid point when we travel to San Diego. We originally stayed at Vagabond inn because we always had our dog. The location is great if you surf or like shopping. The down town section of Ventura is only 2 blocks away. Good location, more for the budget minded and not for the amenity crowd. Great breakfast at the cafe.

Room Tip: train tracks behind motel. can get loud.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for the nice review. The location is great here and it is not uncommon to see surfboards and beach towels here. We are looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon!
Antelope Valley
Reviewed 28 November 2012

After reading recent reviews of this motel, we definitely had some concerns -- but I couldn't resist the reasonable rates, We have stayed at many places overnight in Ventura and this has been the best value so far ($74 total). The location is excellent and within walking distance to Ventura Pier and beach. After checking in, we enjoyed a short walk to the pier and enjoyed a beautiful sunset. As noted in other reviews, there were definitely some "vagabonds" in the vicinity but I think that's to be expected in many beach communities. We never felt we weren't safe -- but we took our usual precautions. The room was clean and quiet. The "continental breakfast" was sparse but we had coffee, refrigerator, and microwave in the room. Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review. We don't serve the kind of breakfast that you find in some of the nicer hotels because we don't have a commercial kitchen and the City of Ventura requires that you have one if you serve food. We can only serve things that are individually packaged. Currently, we have danish, muffins, scones, croissants, oatmeal packets and breakfast bars. We do have a restaurant on the property that is very popular here in Ventura. They have great food and offer a weekday (Monday through Friday) breakfast special if ordered before 11am.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This my personal favorite hotel in Ventura for my regular business trips.
The staff is very helpful and I really like the location being so close to the restaurants and shops in the downtown area.
It's quiet at night, the beds are comfy, the familys with children have fun by the pool and it's nice to see dogs are allowed.
My personal favorite housekeeper is Delores, she's as nice as can be and very accomodating to my schedule. Dan G. and Robert A., the maintenance men are always there for you to help with heavy luggage. as well.
Desk staff is good and very helpful with directions around town.
I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Boy! I think you made more than a couple of my employees very happy with your kind comments. I will print this out and show it to them. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Nottingham
Reviewed 24 October 2012

A one night stay was enough in this hotel. One of he regulars spent an hour shouting due to someone parking in front of his motorbike. He finally got some ones attention and sorted it out with some more shouting. I spoke to another guy who on recognising my English accent showed me his made in England tattoo, written across his stomach. Another guy with a pitbull spent ten minutes trying to stare me out just before breakfast.

It took a while to get checked in as someone else was having issues but the guy on reception was friendly. Not so much the woman in the morning.

The room was standard fair. Very dated and not that clean. Breakfast was very lack lustre and served in reception. Not ideal when there was nowhere to sit and your room is not close. Stupidly, there is a restaurant attached to the entrance of the hotel but they can't work out a deal to get breakfast included from there.

There was a heated pool which people were using and looked quite inviting.

Overall, I would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review. We appreciate hearing from everyone, the good, and the bad. Sometimes we have a whole bunch of great guests, and then sometimes we get some that are not so great. We try to evict anyone causing problems, and/or we do not let them stay over a second night if we know about it. I'm sorry your stay was unpleasant. If you care to contact me, possibly we can make things right for you.

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

ELIZABETH LAKE, CA
Reviewed 19 October 2012

When we got to the hotel 10/13 after 3pm, the room was still not ready. :( The young girl not wearing a name tag, did not greet us w/ her name (long black hair). I felt she was a bit incompetent for the front desk and felt like we were wasting her time.

The room 236 was very musty for an non-smoking room. So we opened the window for the fresh air, (later on that night) only to close it after listing to the drunken loudness of "bro...get me another beer" for hours! I thought we could turn on the air conditioner...sadly it did not work! The chairs were -grossly stained and unusable. The bath tub was clogged when taking a shower -another disappointment for a room that cost $135. The only positive was the bed.

I would not recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool are Party time!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for the review. That weekend was the Highland Seaside games at the county fair grounds just a few blocks away. I checked the maintenance logs to see if we had any reports of the air conditioning not working. I didn't see anything, but am sending maintenance to that room right now to check it. Our rooms each have individual air conditioning units and can be controlled by the guest for their comfort. The thermostat is located in the guest room on the same wall as the television. The air conditioning unit can not be controlled by using the controls on the unit itself. If the a/c is working in that room, perhaps we need to post a sign on the a/c unit that directs the guest to the thermostat . I appreciate your comments. If you would like to contact me, I will send you a coupon for a discount on your next stay.
West Covina, CA
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed here during the Seaside Games October 13 and 14. Room was clean and comfortable. No problems checking in. When we ran out of regular coffee, the office clerk went out of her way to get us some more packets. We didn't try the continental breakfast, but the cafe next door has wonderful food. We had two dinners and one breakfast there and were completely satisfied each time. All in all, a most pleasant weekend stay! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review. That was a crazy weekend! The Highland Seaside Games is a Scottish/Celtic Festival that brings out many colorful people ready for a fun filled weekend. It is not unusual to see award-winning bagpipers practicing on the lawn by the pool. We hope to see you here again next year!