“Needs Some Work but still good”

Vagabond Inn Ventura
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
McAllen, Texas
“Needs Some Work but still good”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Since my last review and upon my recent stay I have to say that they need to step up simple maintenance and policy issues. One is replacing the electrical outlets in their rooms with new ones that plugins don't fall out of. The other is smoke smell in non-smoking rooms mainly by construction workers. Air out the rooms please. There is definitely a extreme shortage of electrical outlets in the rooms. This is typical of older motels/hotels so bring your own plug strip and extension cord if you need electrical hookups.
This place is still simple and clean and Very Friendly to pets. It is a ok stay. It is close to the beach and downtown. Just stepping up simple things will make it better for your stay. Just don't expect a Class A place.

Room Tip: Try to get a room nearer to the office or at least along that strip of rooms and make sure to have b...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks for reviewing our hotel. Your comments help make our hotel better. We are currently renovating rooms in the hotel, but only about 10 at a time. The renovated ones have 4 more electrical outlets than before. Next week we will be installing new carpet in 35 rooms. I will have the maintenance man check the outlets in the older rooms and replace the ones that need it. I will get on that today. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is a superior value for a more than comfortable room. And the TV has thousands of channels (well, maybe not quite that many), But the thing about this place is a great front desk .... you cannot believe the motivation and concern for guests that these folk demonstrate morning and night. That means amenities that you might need (an extra pillow) a quiet room (their suggestion, not our request) or anything else that you might want. Friendliness is not quite the word... it is something beyond that! Thanks, ladies!!!!

If you are anywhere near Ventura, Oxnard, (California) etc. stay here... they will be happy to have you and you will be happy as well.

Room Tip: Any of the 100's are easy to get to, great parking and very a short walk to Denny's.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SJM921
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thanks for the great review! I will pass your comments on to the staff. I know they appreciate it.
Ventura, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My dog and I stayed here while our house was being fumigated. Was very pleasantly surprised. Much quieter than I expected, given that it's on a busy street with railroad tracks just feet from the back of the property. Nothing fancy, but had all the essentials and was very comfortable and very clean. Continental breakfast is pretty minimal, but there is a restaurant adjoining and lots of eating places nearby. Try the Sandbox Coffeehouse a couple of blocks away!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VenturaResident
Thanks for the nice review. I actually had to google the cafe you mentioned. I plan to stop by and check it out.
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Great customer service, my husband and I checked in last night and the night person was so sweet. We were kind of sketchy about the place but it actually turned out not to be so bad. The only problem was that there were loud men with their door open keeping us up on spring break but most likely they lived there and at least someone was having fun. The bed was amazing to sleep on. After talking to Juanita, the day worker about the noise she was very helpful and handled the situation. Also, its rare to find a hotel that still has smoking rooms, so to find one was a score of 15 out of 10! I highly recommend this place. Plus it was my first time in southern California so that was even better.

P.S the continental breakfast was ok, but if you really want to be full just go to denny's for their $2, $4, $6, or $8 meal.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daneicia W
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll pass this along to Juanita.
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

I am a single female traveler and I think this place is great...a nice safe, clean, not huge, well built place, walking distance to the beach (easy access included) & the pier, downtown with a cafe onsite. There were a lot of people in the cafe when I checked out., but I had other plans so I didn't try it. But, I did head to the beach the night before.. nice little walk. And I had a view of the ocean from my bathroom window when I opened it . I love these little non-chain motels with their windows that open & space and sometimes even quirky furniture. Because they were built back when real quality mattered, i didn't hear the usual parking lot & people noises. The train does go behind here fairly close, but I didn't hear it in during sleep & I'm not even sure I heard it when I was awake.
I m so happy to have found a reasonably priced, great place close to the things I enjoy about Ventura. And in Ventura. I will be stopping here whenever I head up this way.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ijustknow29
Thanks for the great review!
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 3 March 2013

So I stayed here for three nights while exploring nearby Channel Islands National Park. By all means, go see this place (accessible by ferry from Ventura Harbor) before you die!
The motel was fine regarding bedding, fridge, micro, hair dryer, iron etc. And it was quiet. There's a lovely diner onsite with great waitresses and good breakfast food.
That being said, like many warm-climate towns, there's a homeless problem in Ventura. While sitting near the pool one night with a local person visiting a friend, she told me not to go into the hot tub, because even though you need a key to access it, "some of the homeless use it as their bathtub." I am not a snob, but that sort of turned me off. Also, several homeless people were panhandling outside the property. It's not a big issue for me--I liked my stay and the place was not expensive, but some TA readers might want to know this ahead of time.
Be sure to head into the old town section of the city for fun shops, bars, and restaurants, and on the beach, there' s great kite shop. Evidently, it's the kiting capital of the country.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a second floor room for more quiet. And parking can be an issue. For some reason the...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we appreciate all of the feedback. I would like to reassure you that there are no homeless people using the spa. We have security cameras in the pool area, key access, as well as our 24 hour front desk that keeps an eye on the facilities. We pride ourselves in being an economical hotel for our guests and delivering a product that is clean, comfortable, and convenient to all of the activities in our geographic region. As in any city, we can not prevent panhandling outside of the property, but we have made an effort to prevent as much interaction with the homeless on our property with security cameras, key access, and our staff efforts. We hope you will come back soon and enjoy everything that Ventura has to offer.
London
Reviewed 20 February 2013

this was a great place to stay with well-appointed rooms (microwave, fridge) and very friendly staff. Location is easy walking distance from downtown and the beach. Some people may find the noise of Amtrack and the freeway disturbing but it didn't bother me and almost all the hotels in town have the same problem.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SlinkyStar
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Our location is our biggest asset. We hope to see you again.