“Wow! What a bargain!”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Woodburn
“Wow! What a bargain!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We are 1950's retro nuts and this place fit the bill to a "T." An older facility that rivals any place at twice the price, the freshly maintained decor is straight out of the past, yet comfortable and efficient. The room, pool and grounds are spotless clean and the staff, especially Juanita at the front desk, are all cheerful, friendly and efficient. The bed was plush and comfortable and the room was quiet despite being next to the office and stairs, with a train running behind the hotel. Within walking distance of a beautiful park, and plenty of unique restaurants, antique stores, and specialty shops the location couldn't have been more convenient. But for good old fashioned, inexpensive, home cooking just try the Vagabond restaurant next door ... inexpensive, yet serving an abundance of delicious food.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William C
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review! I will show it to Janita right now. She will be as pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us as I am. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Remember now we're talking about the Vagabond,not the Ritz Carlton,so here's the deal pedestrian access to the beach and pier,short walk through the park to all the restaurants,pubs,micro brews,not to mention a vast fusion of almost any type of live music you could ask for,Yeah you got your knuckle head Ventura freaks crusin around,but for the price you can't come close,also the staff,Aimee is simply delicious,and Jenny is devine,Juanita the manager does a great job considering the logistic's.Ventura has a throw back hippi/music/artsy theme....gotta have an open mind........all in all good job folks.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank anthony m
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you so much for the nice review. We do have local homeless people that like to hang around the beach areas, but I've seen that in just about every beach community that has decent weather. For the most part, they are just annoying. This town is awesome, and everything is close by. We are glad you choose to stay with us. I think Aimee will blush at the 'delicious' comment, but I'm going to make sure she sees it and gets a big "Thank You" from me, Jenny as well! As far a Juanita goes, she IS awesome, and everyone here knows it! Thanks.
San Clemente, California, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I travel on business once in awhile and dont like to waste money on over priced rooms ,but the first few places I stopped were a disgrace . A police person told me about the this place and I found it to be just fine. The room was clean and everything worked ,yes the mattress wasnt the best I ever slept on and the tv wasnt huge but for less than seventy bucks a night it was great .
I didnt use the pool but it looked clean and the Ice machine worked well . The cafe on the property was nice and sold beer and wine I had the fried chicken and it was good . I would stay here again and believe this motel is perfect for over night stops or people on a budget that want to stretch their vacation buck .

Room Tip: do try the fish and chip shop next door its pretty cool.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kelly C
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Kelly C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy that we could meet your expectations, even on the recommendation of the person you spoke to. We take pride in the cleanliness and the value of our product. We hope you will come back in the near future and enjoy all of our facilities. Please do not hesitate to give us a call to book your next stay.
Safe Travels!
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I regret I could spend only one night at the Vagabond Inn Ventura since it's one of those places where you feel like home and you'd like stopping the time just to be there any longer. From the very beginning when I checked in I experienced a very positive feeling, certainly influenced by the kindness and professionalism of the gentleman present at that moment, confirmed during my whole stay. For a very good rate I was offered a large clean room, equipped with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron and iron board. The location was perfect for my needs: within walking distance from the beach, the Main street and all downtown attractions. Reaching the motel is elementary since Thompson Blvd is actually the name of US 101 in town and the exit 70 A of the Highway 1 is just one block away. In spite of this proximity the Vagabond Inn is a very quiet place. A large pool is available to guests who can even enjoy a basic breakfast in the morning , maybe the only flaw I can name, not an issue at all anyway. Coffee is available in the lobby around the clock. The whole staff deserves a mention for its efficiency and kindness. Can I recommend this motel? Definitely YES, without any doubt. From now on it'll be my place whenever in the City of San Buenaventura.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank d8889
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Gary is the gentleman that you are referring to at check in. I will make sure that he sees your nice comments about him. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here in Ventura and hope to see you again.
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Since my last review and upon my recent stay I have to say that they need to step up simple maintenance and policy issues. One is replacing the electrical outlets in their rooms with new ones that plugins don't fall out of. The other is smoke smell in non-smoking rooms mainly by construction workers. Air out the rooms please. There is definitely a extreme shortage of electrical outlets in the rooms. This is typical of older motels/hotels so bring your own plug strip and extension cord if you need electrical hookups.
This place is still simple and clean and Very Friendly to pets. It is a ok stay. It is close to the beach and downtown. Just stepping up simple things will make it better for your stay. Just don't expect a Class A place.

Room Tip: Try to get a room nearer to the office or at least along that strip of rooms and make sure to have b...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks for reviewing our hotel. Your comments help make our hotel better. We are currently renovating rooms in the hotel, but only about 10 at a time. The renovated ones have 4 more electrical outlets than before. Next week we will be installing new carpet in 35 rooms. I will have the maintenance man check the outlets in the older rooms and replace the ones that need it. I will get on that today. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is a superior value for a more than comfortable room. And the TV has thousands of channels (well, maybe not quite that many), But the thing about this place is a great front desk .... you cannot believe the motivation and concern for guests that these folk demonstrate morning and night. That means amenities that you might need (an extra pillow) a quiet room (their suggestion, not our request) or anything else that you might want. Friendliness is not quite the word... it is something beyond that! Thanks, ladies!!!!

If you are anywhere near Ventura, Oxnard, (California) etc. stay here... they will be happy to have you and you will be happy as well.

Room Tip: Any of the 100's are easy to get to, great parking and very a short walk to Denny's.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SJM921
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thanks for the great review! I will pass your comments on to the staff. I know they appreciate it.
Ventura, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My dog and I stayed here while our house was being fumigated. Was very pleasantly surprised. Much quieter than I expected, given that it's on a busy street with railroad tracks just feet from the back of the property. Nothing fancy, but had all the essentials and was very comfortable and very clean. Continental breakfast is pretty minimal, but there is a restaurant adjoining and lots of eating places nearby. Try the Sandbox Coffeehouse a couple of blocks away!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VenturaResident
Thanks for the nice review. I actually had to google the cafe you mentioned. I plan to stop by and check it out.