“A Kitchy Polynesian Show,HIt or Miss food”
Review of Hong Kong Inn

Hong Kong Inn
Ranked #217 of 427 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Oxnard, CA
“A Kitchy Polynesian Show,HIt or Miss food”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We wanted chinese food with a little atmosphere. We went to Hong Kong Inn on a Friday night. They have been in Ventura 45 years, the red paper lanterns and tassles from the ceialing were ammusing, the grunge still on the table was not. We had the Gourmet Dinner, 3 courses $17.95 reasonable for the neighborhood. I started with a Mai-Tai, delicious! The waitress was sweet but busy and not too knowlegdable reguarding the menu. The won ton soup stater was wonderful, simple with a healthy portion of fresh greens in the soup, like a soup and salad together, one of the best things we had. the pu-pu platter appetizer that came with the dinner was genorous,. The fried shrimp, obviously frozen. The ribs were huge, tasty and meaty but very hard to eat, we both washed our hands before continuing. The sping rolls were crisy, not overcooked and loaded with vegatables that crunched when you bit them, I love this. I also loved the won tons but I have rarely met a won-ton I didint like.Our main courses were a hit and a miss. The Kung-poa scallop delicious with a spicy sauce and loaded with veggies and peanuts...YUM. The Hong Kong steak was so tough we could not eat it...our dogs had trouble with it the next day, however the sauted broccoli and carrots on the other half of the plate were cooked to perfection. We would have sent the steak back but by this time the Polynesian show had begun, it was very loud and our waitress had become to busy to care, getting the check at this point was a challenge. She was sweet but had too many tables to be attntive. The show was a surprise, it started off poorly, like a bad lounge act but improved as the music turned Hawaian then dancers, five of them entertained. I have seen a few Polynesian themed shows, in Hawaii, Las vegas etc, this was not the best, but all of the elments were there,tahitian dancers, cosume changes,ukulele playing, for Ventura it was a real hoot. I will have to reccommend it to friends, fi only for laughs. I will stick with vegatable dishes as this is clearly the strehgth here.

1 Thank KristiKN