“Quiet, Respectful, Serene”

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Quiet, Respectful, Serene”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

In the last few years I have found an interest in the American Civil War. After watching the many PBS series about it, I’ve taken up visiting battlefield sites. Chickamauga was the first national battlefield.
The visitor center was typically well-appointed, with a very good film presentation and bookstore. Additionally, it contains an outstanding collection of arms, Civil War arms, along with both pre- and post-Civil War arms.
The help desk was manned by an outstanding (and very knowledgeable) gentleman … he even knew information about the pre-battle skirmish involving Nathan Bedford Forrest (my personal favorite general). I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get a real feel of the Civil War.
See the park, but don’t miss Snodgrass Hill … where General George Thomas earned the title “The Rock of Chickamauga”

Visited August 2014
1 Thank chervew

Trion, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great place to unwind.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The battlefield as we call it round here, is a great place to take your kids and learn history, and a great place to unwind and be outdoors. Its free to tour and its a very large area. We enjoy it very much.

Visited June 2014
Spartanburg, South Carolina
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Nicely Preserved and Maintained Battlefield”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I hadn't planned on visiting this battlefield but had some time on my hands and decided to give it a whirl. I wasn't disappointed and I wished that I had had more time to explore the visitors center and the many regimental monuments which dot the battlefield. There is much to see at the visitors center, including a theater to explain the battle and a great display of musketry. Following the flow of battle is fairly simple as you embark on a driving tour which takes you to eight stops in the battlefield. At each stop, you can call a number on your cell phone which explains the significance of each stop. In addition to the many monuments, there are numeruos field artillery pieces scattered about which provide a feeling of realism. At one stop, there is a tall stone monument which you can climb and enjoy a bird's eye view of the entire battlefield. This was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War and the battlefield has been preserved as the first National Battlefield(even before Gettysburg). Chickamauga and the adjacent Chattanooga Battlefields are must see stops for any serious student of the Civil War and command a full day to do the sites justice.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Walter W
Greenville, North Carolina
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A very bloody history is behind this place”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

One of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War was fought here. I am sure this would be a great place for ghost hunters to capture EVP after local tales of seeing apparitions, hearing voices, gunfire, cannons and seeing strange lights. I have never felt anything strange myself but I have never visited it for extended periods. Joggers claim to have felt like a presence has followed them.

And then there is the classic local legend of green eyes who wanders near Wilder tower at night supposedly. Many have claimed to see him. Just a pair of green glowing eyes moving through the darkness. Some say he was a soldier who was beheaded by a cannon looking for his body. I have never seen Green Eyes and don't think I really would want to!

Smyrna, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Hallowed Ground”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family enjoys visiting Civil War sites. While in Chattanooga my husband and I decided to visit the Chickamauga Battlefield. We went on a Sunday afternoon but it was pleasantly busy. Since we were on a limited time schedule we drove the tour ourselves just using the printed material. At each stop we read the information and we were able to visualize what happened that awful day in 1863. The monuments are very detailed and add so much to the experience. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get a real feel of the Civil War.

Visited July 2014