“Fantastic stopover” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Of Rocks National Reserve
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Almo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Numerous granite formations, some 70 stories tall, attract world-class rock climbers. The Reserve protects 6.2 miles of the California National Historic Trail, and features emigrant signatures written in axle grease. Idaho's only pinyon pine forest is within the 14,407-acre Reserve. Activities include camping, climbing, hiking, horseback riding, photography, birding, wildflower watching, hunting, and geological and historical discovery. The Reserve is a unit of the National Park System and is managed on site by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. The visitor center is located in the gateway village of Almo,which provides food, gas, lodging, hot springs, and authentic, rural wester charm. Castle Rocks State Park is also located within a few miles.
Olympia, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Fantastic stopover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stopped at this place on our way to Utah. Had never heard of the City of Rocks before, but we were staying nearby and thought it might be interesting. We had a great time - had fun hiking, viewing the rock formations and learning about the history of the wagon trains going threw the area. Wish we were had camped here as the camp sites were great. I could imagine that the night skies would have been fantastic. We only had one day to spend here, but wished we had more. Will definitely go back.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank RejoiceWay

Anacortes, Washington
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“LOVE this hidden outdoor gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been going here since I was a kid, and now I am bringing my own kids here. I love this place because it is off the path and so quiet. It is a hikers and rock climbers paradise. There are lots of campsites and you should reserve to be sure. There are pit toilets as well. If you are the type that likes the kind of campground with the modern amenities of electricity, running water hookups and flushing toilets, then this is NOT your place. And that is why I love it!!!

Entrance Fee: None!

49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“Great Outdoor workout!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Recently visited City of Rocks on way to Yellowstone. Spent 2 nights camping and day and a half hiking and climbing around the area. My goal was to freestyle climb any rock I could until I was sick of climbing. Mission accomplished!! I covered most of the trails in the park and would recommend climbing around the Creekside Towers Trail, Flaming Rock Trail and along the main drive to fully capture the rocks experience. I was also surprised by the number of aspen trees and greenery. Great variety. I also recommend hiking the Indian Grove Trail and Sky Line Connector Trail up to Graham Peak, if you want a strenuous uphill hike with a great 360 degree view. Be advised that the last mile the switchbacks seem to take you far out of the way before you final reach the pinnacle. You think you're almost there and then have to keep walking forever. It would have been nice if they'd simply provided a steeper but more direct route. Btw, I did not see another person on that entire hike! Finally, if you're camping consider sites 58-60. You have to hike in 1/4 mile but the payoff is a private, quiet experience. Many other campsites also looked attractive while less private. This park is out of the way and thus is a quiet, low traffic and enjoyable experience. I highly recommend it even just for a casual day of rock exploration.

3 Thank Snicker D
Buhl, Idaho, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Some of Earth's best climbing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I have been going to the City of Rocks for 14 years. We moved to Idaho in July 2000. Our second summer in the state we took our first trip out to The City. Spectacular rock formations, beautiful hiking trails, and incredible sport and traditional climbing. Also take a visit to nearby Castle Rock State Park.

Pico Rivera, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice place to Camp”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Didn't actually go camping but, it looks like a fun place to overnight.
Star gazing should be good too.
Good for hiking and just a quiet remote place.