“basic motel with a great view and location”
Review of Duke of York Hotel

Duke of York Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This is the only motel in Yorktown so the prices are high for a motel, but if you call the hotel the prices are about $30 less than hotels.com etc. They have 2 seperate buildings but both have a great view since the 2nd building is on a hill behind the first. This hotel is full every weekend so if you want the main building you have to reserve that one. The restaurnt looked over priced, so we walked next door to nice little seafood hamburger place they had a great crab soup. The only bad part was the next day we both had some bug bites I didn't see any bugs so I cant say for sure it was the motel but I don't know where else it would have been. Anyway it was a great weekend trip and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank talbbe1

Reviewed 5 February 2011

We have had a great experience at this hotel. We were planning a very short honeymoon over Labor Day weekend, so checked out the hotel first. The young man at the desk was very helpful, even giving us ideas of things to see in the area for the few days we would be there. Check in was no problem. I've read the reviews, and yes, it is not an elegant hotel, but we were looking for some relaxation and beach time. It was absolutely perfect. Because it is a small hotel, the experience was more personal. The housekeeper even stopped in the hallway to congratulate us. The location is wonderful, right across from the beach. The pool was in a more private location, and most of the time we were alone there. We caught the trolley to visit some historical sites and were able to walk to the dock to load for the sunset sail, which is available in season. We sat on our balony and watched the sunrise. We will definitely return and had none of the negative experiences reported in the reviews.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I stayed at the Duke of York last weekend while attending a class reunion. My room was neat and clean, the bed was comfortable, and the view from the balcony was superb. In addition, the seafood dinner at the in-house restaurant was outstanding. I understand that the chef and manager from the old "Nick's" seafood restaurant operate the hotel restaurant in the evening. The breakfast there was okay. I've had better, but I've certainly had worse.
At my class reunion next year, I'll certainly stay at the Duke of York.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Every time we are at the Duke of York the rooms are very clean the pool is clean and not crowded plus the we can get to the shopping and beach without any problems because they're just across the street. Restaurant is casual and food good. Easy access to Williamsburg too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I can't begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our stay at the Duke of York. We were there for my daughter's wedding. The staff in the motel was so friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. I have been to 5 star resorts and haven't enjoyed myself as much as I did here. We had the rehearsal dinner in the River Room and the Staff was EXCELLENT. Jimmy, Diana, Ernie, Russ (seafood chef) were on top of everything. I wish I could remember everyone's name to thank you personally. I am diabetic and with all the excitement going on I had forgotten to eat. When my sugar level dropped I went into the restaurant and explained to Ernie that I needed some fruit and a diet drink...he hooked me up with some awesome fruit which I paid for after the restaurant reopened that evening. Yes the building is old....but hello...it's HISTORICAL YORKTOWN....If I had to do this all over again I would NOT change a thing!! THANKS DUKE OF YORK AND RIVER ROOM STAFF!! I'll have great memories of my stay there!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My mother got married on the beach in front of this hotel. We got five rooms for the night before her wedding, the next morning as we were all ready, 15 minutes before the wedding at 1:00 pm the manager came outside and told us we all had to move our cars. She was so rude. When we told he we would never stay there again she said " good, I dont care, we get plenty of buisness". We had to hold the wedding off for 45 minutes in 100 degree temperatures so that everyone could find parking elsewhere. The hotel is very old and the rooms are small and uncomfortable. I suggest to stay away!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank kaniecki1
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Worst hotel ever! The place is so overpriced and its a dump. The old lady that owns and runs the place is just aweful. The service seems like they are just so put off by the fact you are staying there. I will never stay there again and would never recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank vtvt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
9 mi away
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Red Roof Inn Newport News - Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!