“Nice for a short stay”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“Nice for a short stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

The motel is in a nice location; right across the street from the "beach"; very close to several good pub-like restaurants; within walking distance to historic Yorktown sites; and very close to the Yorktown Riverwalk where shops and more restaurants are located. We were advised we couldn't check in until 1pm; check in was fine - some of the front desk staff are more courteous than others. We were on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the beach and the York River. View was very nice. Room itself was dated - could use some upgraded beds, furniture and carpeting. Carpeting was typical beach front worn. Furniture was worn and bed matresses were soft and lumpy. Linens were for the most part clean and fresh. Bedspreads were worn and looked old. Bathroom was fine - nice soaps and ok shampoo provided. Plenty of hot water in the showers. Plenty of towels and washcloths provided; most were fresh; some were pemanently stained. TV was old. Room had two double beds, a mini-refrigerator; small microwave, 2 chairs, and a table. Two pastic chairs were on the balcony. Never went to or even saw where the pool was. We took the sunset cruise on the Alliance Schooner which was docked right outside the hotel; trip was nice, but could use some improvement. The beach in front of the hotel had nice sand; lots of cigerette butts all over the place - but they did clean the beach with a machine regularly. Water (York River) was cool, and was ideal for little kids...no waves and very gradual decline. Did see some jellyfish in the water, even though they have nets up in the water. Hotel restaurant (Island Cafe by day; and River View at night) was great for breakfast; terrible for lunch; and drew a big crowd for dinner. Ice machine in the hallway for use of guests. The location and the beachfront balcony is the best thing about the Duke of York Motel; cleaning staff works hard, and it is appreciated!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Valorie E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I wanted a relaxed romantic weekend by the shore. The hotel was great. Friendly accomodating staff, clean room, nice pool, and great balcony to sit on in the evenings and watch the water.

There is a nice sandy beach and a couple of good restaurants.

Our only complant is that the bed was very squeaky. It kept me up when my husbad would move in his sleep. We probably could have asked for another room, but had already moved all of our things in.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SpinningLara
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

This motel has character. It is located across the street from a pleasant sandy beach with a relaxed and fun vibe. The motel is older but totally cute and charming. Check in was super easy. The lady was so friendly and informal. The room was a bit dated, but so what? Vinyl instead of marble...but sparkling clean. Very clean bathroom, simple faucets, lots of water. The beds were comfy; we slept like babies. There is an elevator on one side of the building...but we took the stairs and were in and out in a jiffy. Within walking distance are excellent eateries as well as good coffee. This motel has the feel of a 60s beach resort with good vibrations and summertime fun. And the price was very reasonable. I wish we could stay longer.

Room Tip: If you absolutely need an elevator, ask for a room on that side. Otherwise you coud have a hike.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nurseintheair
skurfa, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of the Duke of York Hotel, Historic Yorktown's beachfront Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again when you are in the area.
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am not picky--I travel to developing countries and can deal with many different processes.We wanted to stay here, and the website said that it was booked. I called instead to see if there were any rooms and made a reservation with no problem, until I asked for an email confirmation--just something to have since they took very little information over the phone. I was told to call back in the morning and the manager Ruth would send one to. I called back the next morning--same number--and requested an email confirmation from the manager. Was told "we don't do that hon." When I asked, "you don't send emails to your customers?" she again replied, "we don't do email." When I told her I wanted to cancel, she didn't seem to care at all--and I was not rude. This might seem silly, but having an email has saved me in the past when smaller hotels lose reservations. I have had great service from really tiny and modest places, and am just really tired of apathetic service. I guess they are so full they don't care. Off to another place.

Room Tip: Didn't even end up staying there. If the reservation service is an indicator of the stay, we we...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Flag-Biki
Vinton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. so beautiful and quite. Rooms are great and clean. Staff was super nice. I am difently coming back in august. Loved the view of beaches and easy access to
everything. It is an older motel, But updated in some areas and clean. I cannot not praise them enough.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda C
Your praise of the Duke of York Hotel is appreciated! We are proud of our friendly staff and clean rooms and thank you for sharing your opinion. We look forward to having you stay with us again in August.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in a motel room “on the hill” section of this older facility. It had a magnificent view of the York River, from the motel room window as well as the grassy area in front of our room, which we enjoyed immensely. It was also very quiet and pleasant “on the hill” with a nice breeze, even in 100 degree temperature. Had we been in the newer section, which fronts on the River, we would have been looking at vehicular traffic as well as the beach goers. The hotel has a two star AAA rating, but I did expect a bit more than what we received for the rate we paid, even though this is prime time for a resort area. When we opened the door to our room, soiled carpet was the first thing I saw which made the entire room feel unclean. I do realize that it is a hotel room with a lot of different guests who do not treat it like they would treat their own home, but I feel it could be kept cleaner. The furnishings were very dated, but the mattresses were comfortable. This is the only hotel/motel in Yorktown, other than three B&B’s which had no vacancies for the time period that we wanted, so management can charge whatever they want to. So, if you want to stay in Yorktown, you have to tolerate the high room rate and the dated accommodations. There are a limited number of restaurants in Yorktown also, and I consider the food prices outrageous for the quality of food we received. We enjoyed the lovely Riverwalk area very, very much and the Saturday morning Farmer’s Market was awesome. Yorktown is a lovely place to visit and stay, with all its history, and we do plan to return, in spite of my comments about the accommodations. Next time, we will be better prepared for what to expect and be better prepared for meals.

Room Tip: Rooms "on the hill" are quieter with a lovely view of the York River and the swimming pool...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jfoxs58
skurfa, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable remarks. We are glad that you immensely enjoyed our beautiful courtyard. It is very quiet and pleasant on the hill overlooking the York River!
We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. If we have failed at something and a guest brings it to our attention, we take care of it as soon as possible. We have had a busy summer and holiday week and are constantly keeping up with repairs. The carpets are cleaned regularly and replaced as needed.
Our location in Historic Yorktown, on the beach, is unparalleled. Since you do plan on returning to Yorktown, we do hope that you allow us the opportunity to accommodate you once again at the Duke of York Hotel.
North East, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I had the distinct pleasure of a stay at this hidden gem hotel in Yorktown, VA which is directly overlooking the charming beach and the beautiful York River. The Duke of York Hotel is everything you want a room to be for a wonderful restfully nights sleep with super comfortable bed, many large pillows (difficult to find of late) super soft jumbo towels and the room was impeccably clean. Very friendly and helpful desk staff and a very convenient and reasonable restaurant on the property. All of this and in a lovely very historical town, right in the middle of everything. What more could one need? I will definitely go out of my way to stay here again. Dick.

Room Tip: Request room in main area with balcony overlooking the beach
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank CaptainDick1
, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
You described the Duke of York to a T! We are proud of our desireable location as the only hotel in Historic Yorktown, friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms and locals favorite restaurant on site. Thank you so much for your review. It will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!