“New General Manager is PATHETIC!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duke of York Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yorktown
Duke of York Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Yorktown, Virginia
“New General Manager is PATHETIC!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Her name is Vivian Harris and she loves nothing more than causing trouble. Booked a wedding party and she had the nerve to say we didn't have reservations. This is after waving a confirmation in her face. Since she didn't like what we were saying, she decided to call the police. 22 rooms reserved for this wedding and several trips up there just to ensure the weekend would go smoothly and of course, all for naught. Ms. Harris has only been on staff for a few months and apparently has done nothing but cause hate and discontent among customers. Should have known something was up upon first meeting her as she was berating two customers that were being overcharged. (Of course, she called the police on them also.) HORRIBLE customer service. Would highly recommend NOT staying here.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank DukeofYorkMotelSux
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Everyone has to blame someone for THEIR behavior, and I do not mind being BASHED publicly. But, come on...tell the truth. When you block a group of rooms for a wedding, reunion, or whatever, that is what you get. When you come in a week to ten days before arrival and want to change days and rooms, unfortunately this is not always possible, which is what this bride wanted me to do. I was NOT going to "bump" a guest that had reservations for particular room, just so the bride could have her party all around her. She should have blocked the specific rooms she wanted at the time of blocking her rooms. She did have reservations and everyone was checked in, so I do not understand them saying I told them they had none. I'm sorry she did not co-ordinate her special day in the right way. Not my fault. As for calling the cops, yes I did. The language he used and the awful names that I was called, he should have been arrested instead of asked to leave. Nuff said.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here recently for a wedding. We travelled from Ireland and really looked forward to a week in the hotel. We stayed here 2 years ago and had a fantastic time. The cleaning staff were still the same and the lady remembered us and we had a great chat. This lady was the saving grace and fantastic at her job nothing was to much for her. To keep it short we were shouted at in reception by a manager who was anything but professional all because we asked for a confirmation of the original rate. (She slandered other members of the wedding party even said the bride should have sorted this instead of other members of the family along with other non professional actions, all we said was "we are here to confirm the rate") when we checked out 2 days later she was not there and had not corrected the rate even after her blow up. When you book this hotel be sure you get a confirmation of the rate before you give them any credit card details. We were charged twice! once with a much higher rate and then again with the agreed rate because no one else on site can give refunds. It took many calls and shouting matches with Vivian(it would take a long time to explain just how unprofessional these calls were) to get our refund because she is the only staff member who can give refunds. The view from the hotel is lovely and the rest of the staff pleasant but not worth dealing with the management. When you look through the reviews, all positive reviews had no dealings with the manager. The staff to me look like they are been worn down by her also (just my opinion). To the owner of this hotel please see the problems here and fix it because you will have no hotel soon if it keeps going down hill like it is. In the 2 years since I have stayed here last your manager single handed made sure I will never stay again. If you are traveling from overseas like me don't stay here it does not show the true American spirit of good customer service or even the usual good American manners.

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floors have the best view. But the 2nd and 3rd have an advantage as they are in the...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank willy2575
Your rates were honored and we even gave you receipts showing your charges. Some do not understand that the credit card companies put a hold on funds until checkout, which is what you are referring to as being charged twice. Your pending authorization was released and you were faxed a copy of that. And we never scream at our guests, unfortunately, we are the one who get screamed at.
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I highly discourage anyone to book or make reservations with the Duke of York Hotel! I recently had a wedding at the Freight shed and numerous family members stayed at what they thought were wedding rates and were over charged and double charged to their credit cards, but everyone in my wedding party was treated with disrespect, when they questioned the General Manager. 10 rooms were booked for 2 nights and at least 5 rooms were booked for the entire week. Not only did my husband and I pay in full when we left using prepaid gift visa cards they charged my credit card also. the sad thing is the prepaid visa cards were taken at the register, SO we don't have proof-WHAT A SHAM!! Two Thumbs down! What a mess!!!

Room Tip: The only thing good about this hotel is the View! The best level is 4 or 5 you are away from the bus...
5 Thank travel530
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Sorry that you and or your guest were disappointed with your stay. As for the "wedding rate" all was given for the specified dates in your group block. Extra days, before or after these dates are at the normal rate. I believe this is what you are meaning by "over charging", which we did not. Again, we at The Duke of York Hotel apologize for your anguish and wish you the best in your new life.
Yorktown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding at the Freight Shed at the Yorktown waterfront. We had a block of rooms for the wedding party and couldn't me more pleased with our stay here. We are locals, so had never been in the rooms, only to the restaurant on a fairly regular basis. The front desk clerks were extremely nice, and the rooms were great. Upon our arrival on the second floor, the lady in housekeeping was still cleaning rooms. She was very friendly and stopped to chat with us for a few minutes. I could tell that she was doing a thorough job of cleaning just by looking at her supplies and how seriously she took her job. When I arrived in our room, I was very impressed with how clean it was, not surpised though, after having just chatted with Jill!!! The next morning, I chatted with her some more, and she said that she had been there for about 30 years. That says a lot!!!
There are no frills or anything special that would make this a 5 star motel, but sometimes it's the staff, the hospitality, the cleanliness, and the good food that put it right up there with those types of hotels. Even though we live 10 minutes from the Duke of York, I am so glad that we got to experience a wonderful stay here. Gives me the ability to honestly recommend it to out of town guests who are looking for a nice, clean place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank YorktownTerri
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your kind response about your visit to The Duke of York. Our housekeeping staff take pride in their work and we all strive to meet all the needs of our guests. We thank you and hope to see you again.
White Stone, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We had a room booked for the July 4 fireworks, my daughter's were excited, we drove over an hour to get there. Upon arrival, my wife was informed they could not find our reservation, even with the confirmation number. My kids were devastated, as were my wife and I! We were given the manager Vivian Harris' card, and told to enjoy our 4th of July! Are you freaking kidding me!? My credit card was charged, confirmation number, and this garbage! I still am in shock! Never again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Dave S
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
First of all, we would like to apologize for the error that occurred when making your on-line reservation. The only explanation is that someone else was making the same reservation at the same time as you, and they finished and clicked "o.k." or "submit" before you did, therefore they got the room. We are sincerely sorry and would like to make it up to you and your family. We will contact you soon.
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The hotel was OK, and we had a nice view of the river front. However, our biggest problems were, first, the picture on the website is completely inaccurate. It portrays the river front shops, NOT the hotel, which is considerably older and plainer. Second, for the price, the amenities were scarce--no breakfast and only a bar of soap and bottle of shampoo in the bathroom. We will not stay here again if in the area. On the positive side, the room was clean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Doug G
Bassett, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

The hospitality and comfort of this motel make it amazing. I highly recommend a 4th or 5th floor room. The view of the bay is amazing and the grassy area before the pool make it very cozy. It is right on the beach front and we never had to move the car to go anywhere the 3 days we stayed everything was in walking distance. The staff were wonderful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We will be returning in the very near future.

Room Tip: 4th floor facing the water is pool level and has a large grassy area in front.
2 Thank Tina B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!