“Has potential to be great but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Duke of York Hotel

Duke of York Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Howell, New Jersey
“Has potential to be great but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I had the opoortunity to stay here the night of September 12th 2013.

I decided to call and make reservations the night before for a motorcycle trip. I spoke to a gentleman who was friendly and set me up with a king room with a view of the river.

Upon my arrival, I met the manager, a very friendly and helpful woman who offered me a towel as it had just started to rain as I arrived on my bike. To my dismay however, she was unable to locate my reservation. After searching for some time, and me showing her that I had already been charged for the room we found that the clerk that took my reservation had the wrong night and I had been billed as a no show. Furthermore, all of the king size rooms had been booked and all that was left were two doubles. Not the way to start the night. I will say that the night manager was very nice and very helpful and did what she could to make me as happy as possible. So when you make your reservation, be sure to confirm the nights with the clerk that takes the reservation.

The hotel is in a beautiful location. The views of the river are superb and it is near the shops and across the street from a small beach. There is a pizza place next door which I didnt get to try and a pub two doors down which serves decent food. The hotel restaurant had a good breakfast menu with typical breakfast fare.

The hotel itself is rather old and is starting to show it's age. The rooms were clean, the bathroom was also clean but could use some work as the grout in the shower was starting to stain in spots. The beds weren't too bad as I slept well.

Overall, for the price paid for a room I think it was a great value, given the hotel's location and view. The hotel could use some money invested in it as upgrading the rooms would make it a top notch hotel. The staff was very friendly, but be cautious when you book the room as I was told it wasn't the first time reservations were messed up.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Fireboot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Richmond,Va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

As you open the door to the lobby you realize this hotel has a lot of possibilities. The rooms are clean, nice and fairly modern looking. We choose the jacuzzi room. IT WAS AWESOME.The staff is helpful and attentive. The outdoor pool has a beautiful view of the York River and it might be the best part of this hotel. Around the pool is a wide lawn area with tables and chairs that is suitable for picnics and reading or just enjoying the view. It is a little pricey during summer months if you want a river view room. However with it being the only hotel they have no competition either. I wouldn't bother with the on site restaurant as we ate breakfast and dinner there. Wait staff is a little slow and their is nothing fancy about the restaurant or the food. Overall a nice hotel

Room Tip: Get the 4th floor room. its the detached part of the hotel by the pool. Say you want the room with a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bret8kins
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was my second time in The Duke Of York motel. The last visit was really fantastic. This visit was ruined by the unprofessional behaviour of the manager. The hotel itself was the same and the cleaning staff were still as great as ever. Unfortunately I had to have dealings with the manager who was rude just like the other guests here have pointed out and she ruined the stay for all of my family. Its a shame to have to leave a bad review when everything else at the hotel is so nice but she did ruin the stay. I hope the issue is solved soon. I witnessed the abuse given to some of the guests who have already left reviews and the misleading reply's she has left to their reviews, so I felt I better leave feedback to point out there is a problem with the management at this hotel. I really do hope the issue is fixed because I will miss staying at this hotel when I am in Yorktown.

Room Tip: 4th and 5th floors have best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank MaroiB
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
Riva, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Sunday morning, we had no water pressure in our room -- no toilet flushes, no shower, etc. I mentioned this to the manager at check-out. The manager said "that's because he is filling the pool." Apparently filling the swimming pool requires shutting off the water to the entire hotel. I asked the manager if she considered this acceptable customer service. She said yes, because "all you have to do is call the desk" if you want water available in your room.

Bottom line: If you want working indoor plumbing, this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mickey R
Water to the rooms is never shut off. When adding water to the pool, it does take some pressure away from a few rooms on our 5th floor, but there is never no water to the rooms. Ever. There is never a good time to add needed water to the pool, but this has to be done. In the past, guests have called down to the front desk and inquired why the pressure is weak, and when we tell them why, they understand. We are sorry that you were inconvenienced.
Bassett, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

With all the bad reviews I felt I need to post another one on our second stay. We stayed the 11th-14th. The 2 times I have stayed here there has been wedding parties and every one seemed to be enjoying themselves so I don't understand the complaints. Both trips here we have been treated great by all staff. The hotel has always been clean and kept clean daily. I believe we seen the manager once in passing and once while checking out. She was friendly both times. We had family to changed plans at the last minute and were able to travel with us. I asked at check in would it be a problem or an extra charge. I would have gladly paid. We were not charged extra and thoroughly enjoyed our first and last family vacation. My mother has terminal cancer and we could not have picked a better place. I will be returning!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Tina B
Thank you Tina for your support!
Hawley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have no problem sharing my name b/c i have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.But what i and all of the guess for my sister wedding ran into some type of problem.The first thing i would like to address is when, Vivian asked my sister's in-laws, "why would the bride's sister be making the reservation when the she lives in pa and the brides lives here". WELL Mrs. vivian I took over helping book reservations to take the weigh off of my sister's shoulders. Besides what did it matter who booked the reservation anyway!? Also when we spoke on the phone(numerous time) in regards to more reservations for people it was stated by YOU that we'd get the wedding/group rate of 79.00 a night.5 of those reservation were for more then just the wedding night and i specifically asked you if it was still 79.00 a night and you said YES you could do that for us.Then to get there and have to fight to get that rate!The best was when i spoke w/the owner regarding this issue& u came over and were nice as could be.You stating it must have been the people at the front desk getting the rates wrong when IN FACT i stated in front of you and the owner U TOLD ME 79.00 a night you tried saving yourself by saying "oh but that was only for the two wedding nights",then i said but u gave me a total for the week at the 79.00 rate.you had nothing more to say. I'm reading here and thinking to myself with what my numerous family member had to deal w/your unprofessional words,someone should of called the police on you.What was supposed to b a great week get away,turned into nothing but problems.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank tina566
Group blocks are for specified dates, and the reduced rates only apply for the specified dates in the block, then all additional night stays are at our regular rate. This is the purpose of setting them up. Sorry that your stay was not what you intended.
Duluth, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed in this motel for one night while attending a wedding. Our party consisted of 3 women. Check in was fine with no problems. The hotel was full and therefore had limited parking. The room had a nice view of the water but the bathroom had hair in the shower and did not feel as clean as it should be. There was also some partially used shampoo that was left on the counter. Some other guest from the wedding party stayed here and were treated poorly by the manager. I would not recommend the motel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lorie S
We apologize for not meeting your needs while staying with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!