“Quick York River getaway”
Review of Duke of York Hotel

Duke of York Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Mechanicsville, VA
“Quick York River getaway”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My family recently drove by the cutest beach on the York River in the heart of Yorktown & noticed this hotel. A week later, I booked an overnight getaway for us. Based on reviews, I was skeptical. Unjustly so. This hotel was perfect for our needs. The front desk was more than friendly when I booked over the phone. When I arrived, he remembered talking to me. We settled in, walked around, had dinner and ice cream nearby. With a 5 & 3 year old, we turned in early. In the morning, after spending time on the balcony overlooking the river, we had a delish breakfast downstairs and had awesome service! Went to the room, packed up and headed to the beach for the day. We spent hours on the cute small beach, walked around, ate lunch and took a short free trolley ride. Upon checkout the same guy was there and was so nice. Will def go back! One con: blackout curtains did not offer full coverage and light on balcony was sooo bright! Had a hard time sleeping, but room was comfortable overall.

Room Tip: Ask about balcony light (bright!) and make sure you have a room that doesn't let the light shine...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AmesnBru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had a 2 night stay over Memorial Day weekend and felt I got what I paid for. The room was a motel room - no fancy frills but quite clean and acceptable. The views were wonderful! The food options from the Duke of York were exceptional. Breakfast at the Island Café was fantastic. The staff were accommodating and friendly. No check-in problems whatsoever.

Room Tip: 4th floor room facing river - great views!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Let me first start off by saying that this review will not speak of an actual stay at the hotel. If you are asking yourself why, it is because of the RUDE, RUDE, behavior of the staff upon calling to inquire about a stay.

I called to ask about rooms rates for a stay I wanted to book for my husband and I on Valentines Day. When I asked about the rates, I was told that a rate couldn't be given because it was a holiday weekend and they were unsure of what the rate would be at that time. She did say that she could book the room and that I would be given the rate upon check in. WHO THE HECK does this. I have never been told that before when making a reservation and my husband and I travel all the time.

Next, when I question this policy and asked to speak to a manager I was first told there was no manager on site. (AGAIN WHO DOES THIS) When I asked again for the manager she said she was the manager. When I explain I would not be making a reservation at hotel that couldn't provide me a rate, she said and I quote; " thats fine. You'll call back. I'm not worried at all." I can assure you, I haven't called back nor will I ever. I am now staying with my husband at a local bed and breakfeast that over look the water for not one night but two.

I recommend that all stay away. If you are treated like this over the phone, I can only imagine what would happen if you stayed there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank vacritter2000
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
I would like to apologize to you for this issue you say happened when calling our hotel. I can't imagine anyone relaying this type of information to a potential guest, but we are going to address this issue. Again, our sincerest apologies.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

When you stay at the Duke of York, you get a reasonably priced motel and GREAT food in the hotel restaurant. On Fridays and Saturdays, the chef is the one from the former renowned Nick's Seafood, the waterfront legend that had to be torn down following the 2003 hurricane. The French toast with cooked apples was the best I've ever had. The biscuits and gravy also is excellent, comes with sausage patties, not just the ground sausage. The seafood dishes at lunch and dinner also are delicious. Diana is a wonderful waitress. All of the hotel and restaurant staff are friendly and do their best to give good service. All of the rooms have York River views. The furnishings are pretty basic -- but not a bad trade-off for the convenience. If you can't stay at the Duke of York, at least give the restaurant a try. Simple décor but WONDERFUL food. Five stars to the restaurant. And you can walk to all of the attractions in Colonial Yorktown!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the rooms near the trash receptable if you don't want to hear the trucks empty...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mbwesq2000
Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I had the opoortunity to stay here the night of September 12th 2013.

I decided to call and make reservations the night before for a motorcycle trip. I spoke to a gentleman who was friendly and set me up with a king room with a view of the river.

Upon my arrival, I met the manager, a very friendly and helpful woman who offered me a towel as it had just started to rain as I arrived on my bike. To my dismay however, she was unable to locate my reservation. After searching for some time, and me showing her that I had already been charged for the room we found that the clerk that took my reservation had the wrong night and I had been billed as a no show. Furthermore, all of the king size rooms had been booked and all that was left were two doubles. Not the way to start the night. I will say that the night manager was very nice and very helpful and did what she could to make me as happy as possible. So when you make your reservation, be sure to confirm the nights with the clerk that takes the reservation.

The hotel is in a beautiful location. The views of the river are superb and it is near the shops and across the street from a small beach. There is a pizza place next door which I didnt get to try and a pub two doors down which serves decent food. The hotel restaurant had a good breakfast menu with typical breakfast fare.

The hotel itself is rather old and is starting to show it's age. The rooms were clean, the bathroom was also clean but could use some work as the grout in the shower was starting to stain in spots. The beds weren't too bad as I slept well.

Overall, for the price paid for a room I think it was a great value, given the hotel's location and view. The hotel could use some money invested in it as upgrading the rooms would make it a top notch hotel. The staff was very friendly, but be cautious when you book the room as I was told it wasn't the first time reservations were messed up.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Fireboot
Richmond,Va
Reviewed 23 August 2013

As you open the door to the lobby you realize this hotel has a lot of possibilities. The rooms are clean, nice and fairly modern looking. We choose the jacuzzi room. IT WAS AWESOME.The staff is helpful and attentive. The outdoor pool has a beautiful view of the York River and it might be the best part of this hotel. Around the pool is a wide lawn area with tables and chairs that is suitable for picnics and reading or just enjoying the view. It is a little pricey during summer months if you want a river view room. However with it being the only hotel they have no competition either. I wouldn't bother with the on site restaurant as we ate breakfast and dinner there. Wait staff is a little slow and their is nothing fancy about the restaurant or the food. Overall a nice hotel

Room Tip: Get the 4th floor room. its the detached part of the hotel by the pool. Say you want the room with a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bret8kins
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was my second time in The Duke Of York motel. The last visit was really fantastic. This visit was ruined by the unprofessional behaviour of the manager. The hotel itself was the same and the cleaning staff were still as great as ever. Unfortunately I had to have dealings with the manager who was rude just like the other guests here have pointed out and she ruined the stay for all of my family. Its a shame to have to leave a bad review when everything else at the hotel is so nice but she did ruin the stay. I hope the issue is solved soon. I witnessed the abuse given to some of the guests who have already left reviews and the misleading reply's she has left to their reviews, so I felt I better leave feedback to point out there is a problem with the management at this hotel. I really do hope the issue is fixed because I will miss staying at this hotel when I am in Yorktown.

Room Tip: 4th and 5th floors have best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank MaroiB
duchessofyork508, General Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis
Williamsburg Inn
Williamsburg Inn
#1 of 74 in Williamsburg

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!