“Weekend getaway!”

Candlewood Suites Newport News
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I recently spent the weekend at Candlewood Suites while visiting family in the area. The room was very spacious and the small kitchenette was perfect for my needs. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. The best part of my stay was the friendly front desk staff. Doug at the front desk was incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa G
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Reviewed 3 November 2011

I often stay at Candlewood Suites during business travel and the Newport News, VA property is in very good shape. The staff are friendly, the room was very clean, and the furnishings are in very good condition.

Candlewood Suites caters multi-day stays with larger than average kitchenettes, living / sitting area, work area, bedroom, bathroom, and plenty of closet space. Room service is offered weekly. There is a full size refrigerator, two burner stove top, and a microwave. Overall a great place to work and camp out for a few days.

There is no free breakfast but that's not the idea with this type of suite property. The price is very reasonable for the area.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RoadWarrior61323
Folsom_10, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for sharing how your stay was with us. You've summed up our property to a T as well! We look forward to having you again.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

we just stayed here one night so we could see yorktown on the way to virginia beach. The rooms were clean with microwave, stove , fridge and ice maker present. the front staff was friendly and helpful and they did have a small pantry that you could purchase food from in a pinch. plenty of resteraunts within a short distance but not much walkable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing how your stay was with us. We're glad you had a pleasant time. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 2 July 2011

The hotel was exactly what I expected from a hotel within this price range. The room was great and the staff were always very helpful. I would rate this hotel average because it wasn't bad but it didn't exceed any expectation either.
Pro: The hotel is a great price and is a 15-20 drive to (Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, etc).
Con: There was no free breakfast which you come to expect at many IHG hotel chains.

Room Tip: Ask for extended stay room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2011

I spent three nights here and found it to be the perfect place for my needs. The room was very large and the small kitchenette had everything I needed -- enough plates, utensils, dishes for microwaving, a full refrigerator, and dishwasher. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the linens nice. Housekeeping is done only weekly, but if you want new towels...and I did...they are easily obtained from the front desk. I liked not having someone come in daily; it made the place feel more like mine. This would be a five star review except for the cleanliness factor. I found stray hairs, including some in one of the beds -- UGH! The kitchen area was very clean but just a bit more attention to the bath and the overall room would have made this a complete rave review.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Folsom_10, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Thank you for sharing how your stay was with us. We are happy everything went well. We are so sorry to hear about the Housekeeping issue you had during your stay. We are thankful that you shared it with us because that is the only way we can improve is if we know. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

A great place to stay. The ladies are friendly and always have a smile. They are very helpful when we forget things its great to come back from a hard days work and see Deborah s big smile

• Stayed: January 2011
Folsom_10, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Thank you for sharing how your stay was with us. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years. This time things weren't as perfect as they had been in the past. When I checked in, the front desk agent (Deborah, pronounced Deh-BOR-ah) told me they had given me a "handicapped accessable" room (I am NOT handicapped). When I asked her why, she explained that all of the rooms in my price range had already been booked. I found that odd because the parking lot was practically empty during my weeklong stay (not to mention that I had paid for my room nearly six months in advance). After I saw the room, and didn't like it (the shower head was too low for me - I am 6'2") and NO storage area in the bathroom - presumably so a wheelchair could move around), I told her I wanted something different. Since the type of room I had reserved was "sold out", she upgraded me to a one-bedroom suite for the same price! That was great and I ended up with a terrific room (#120) for no additional money. Everything was fine except for the time I went to do laundry (free for hotel guests) only to see an "out of order" sign on both the washing machines. I asked the front desk when they expected them to be fixed. They said probably the next day, and they were right. They were fixed the next day. It's a good thing I was there for more than one night because I would have been really irritated if I couldn't have done laundry. The internet was rather odd. Although they advertise wireless internet, I still had to connect my laptop with an ethernet cord. It wasn't a big deal but I don't consider that "wireless". I even tried it without the cord and there was no wireless signal at all. Once connected, you are given two choices: "Basic" internet for no charge or "Premium" internet for a fee. One day I decided to try the "premium" and there was practically no difference. Don't waste your money; stick with the free service. There had been a big snow right before I came but for the entire week I was there, the whole parking lot was a solid sheet of ice. Maybe they had no way of removing it but I thought it was pretty dangerous. Overall I would recommend this property. But if they try to give you a lesser room than you paid for upon check in, you will likely get what you wanted - or better - if you complain.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#3 of 40 in Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown

Been to Candlewood Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!