“Great place to stay!”

Candlewood Suites Newport News
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently had to do some remodeling and needed a place to stay for couple of weeks. This place was great! It was centrally located so both my wife and I had no problems commuting to our jobs (Williamsburg and Norfolk). The room had a kitchen with everything we needed for our time there and the grocery store in the shops very close by made it easy to grab whatever we needed for our meals. We even got a chance to go see a movie (which we hadn't done in ages) at the theater across the street. The staff there greeted us with a smile and hello every day when we got back and made us feel at home. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family when they come to visit.

Room Tip: We had a Queen suite on the back of the hotel which overlooked a lake.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris K
DOSM-Scott-C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Chris K,

Well, we are sure glad you were able to venture out and see how convenient our location really is. Between the Regal movie theater across the street; Unos, Three Amigos, 2nd St American Bistro, and Sasaki being walking distance. Then throw in the grocery stores Walmart, Farm Fresh, Kmart, and Krogers. Then any fast food you can think of all in the same shopping center. Once you realize there is a hidden lake behind us it's just overwelming. Next time be sure to ask about the ice skating venue around the corner. We are truely in a great spot. Quiet but close to everything. Thanks for the great comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times, and already have several very positive reviews on this site. However I felt that I needed to let potential travelers know of a few problems.

I checked in on Christmas Day and, as usual for that time of year, the hotel was very slow. I remembered the desk clerk, Frank, who told me on my last trip that I should ask for an upgrade to a suite on my next visit. Since it was slow, I asked, and he gave me a one-bedroom suite. Nice! Frank also told me he only had a few days left here, as he had taken another job somewhere else. Apparently the hotel was recently purchased by a new owner, and is showing some blemishes. Hopefully the new owner will spruce things up.

There were a few problems with the room. Having been a guest here many times over the last few years, I don't think the carpet has ever been changed. It is the same nondescript brown/tan carpet that has been here for all the years I have come here. There were some very suspicious dark stains on the carpet in my room. Cleaning won't help; it seriously needs to be replaced. The only upgrade I have seen over the years is the addition of flat screen TVs. I was on the second floor (201), so it is not a "pet room" (they are on the first floor). When I picked up the phone on the desk, a very long strand of dark hair was stuck to the receiver. Eww. Doesn't housekeeping wipe the phones down during their weekly cleaning? Two days before I left, I realized that the phone in the bedroom doesn't work at all. It is plugged in, but there is no dial tone. The (broken) clock radio/cd player was flashing "12:00" when I checked in. I couldn't figure out how to set it, so I just left it unplugged the entire time I was there. Every time I turned on the cold water in the kitchen or bathroom (full-force), water would come spilling out around the top of the fixture. I think this could be remedied by something simple like new washers. The door closed VERY slowly, and would suddenly speed up and slam shut at the end. So I would always stand there and help it close slowly, so as not to disturb other guests.

The hotel was pretty quiet, especially since I was at the end of the hall. There was an instance (thankfully only one night) where someone checked in directly above me (I guess that would be room 301). They stomped around all afternoon as if they were wearing heavy boots, and it sounded as if they were moving the furniture around. Then, at 4 AM, I was awakened by some very loud...um..."bed sounds" directly above me. This went on for at least an hour. Was there a group up there making an adult movie or something? It honestly crossed my mind.

I like having the full kitchen. I like the convenient neighborhood and friendly staff. It's also great to have the free laundry facilities. I am only concerned about what seems to be deteriorating facilities and slipshod housekeeping. I will likely give this place one more shot when I return in the summer, to see if the new owners have made any improvements. If not, I may have to (sadly) start staying somewhere else. I really have loved this place in the past, and it is disheartening to see it going downhill.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear timbolester,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is lovely to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. Please be assured that the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a fine stay at the Candlewood Suites in Yorktown. The room was clean, quiet, and had all the extras Candlewood offers (kitchen and utensils, fridge, desk/workstation, free coffee and popcorn, etc.). We didn't use the workout room or the pool this time around, but we did stop on our way out to ask the desk folks about any tips and tricks for Colonial Williamsburg, our next stop. Boy did we hit the jackpot! Christ S. at the desk was a wealth of info (he used to work over that way), he sent us on our way with maps, tourist info, non-tourist info, and a few of the secrets of getting around Williamsburg (and the othe 2 cities in the 'triangle', Yorktown and Jamestown). Thanks, Chris! You are the reason we pick Candlewood--the staff is always the best!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean C

Dear Jean C,

Thank you for such warm comments about Chris S.. Since your stay he has actually become our General Manager. He is truely a wealth of knowledge indeed especially when it comes to Busch Gardens, Water Country, Great Ape and Colonial Williamsburg. Feel free to contact us upon your next visit to the area. We look forward to your return. Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I recently stayed with my husband and 2 sons for 2 nights in a 1-bdrm suite. Check-in was quick. Hotel staff very nice. Room was nice and clean. Full size refrigerator, microwave, and a stove top for cooking. Room was stocked with plates, cups, pots, anything you could think of. And the windows open! It was so nice to stay in a hotel and have a fresh breeze blowing in. My only complaint would be that the AC did not seem to flow into the bedroom from any vents, so we had to keep the bedroom door open. The reviews on this site helped me choose this hotel. After the many letdowns from hotels in Hampton Roads, VA, we will gladly return to Candlewood Suites in Yorktown.

Room Tip: Note that there this hotel has smoking and non-smoking rooms. It seems that smoking rooms are all on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ceecee1224
GM_PHFCW, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear ceecee1224, Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Candlewood Suites Yorktown! We were delighted to hear that you & your family enjoyed your stay with us, including our spacious one-room suites. A lot of guest usually miss the vent in the bedroom that you turn on that circulates the A/C. I do apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused. Thanks again for choosing the Candlewood Yorktown and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

After leaving Washington went down the coast and decided Newport News would be a good place to stay to visit Yorktown,Norfolk & Portsmouth. The rooms are very spacious and well equipped especially if you want to cater for yourself as they have huge fridges with ice making facility, combination microwave & cooker & sink plus crockery etc.. We only did our own breakfast but you could do other meals as plenty of room. The rooms are not serviced daily but this is no problem as they are very clean and well kept. Unlike some places we stayed the towels were so soft and fluffy - gorgeous.. Although it is situated on a main highway there is an UNO Chicago grill a very short walk away. If needing accommodation in this area would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Twin Queen bed rooms slightly bigger
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank uktravellerHampshire
GM_PHFCW, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear uktravellerHampshire, It was our pleasure to have you here at Candlewood Suites Yorktown!! We are extremely happy that we didn't disappoint you with our service or hotel accommodation, it will be our pleasure to Welcome you back anytime you are in the area.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

There is no downside to this hotel. I loved the room. I loved the staff. I loved the pool. My family including my 9 year old son loved it too. What else can I say but well done you have got it right! The location was perfect for getting to the local beaches for all of the shopping centres and foe restaurants. The staff will give you any information you need on where to eat where to shop and will even have a chat with you to make you feel part of their hotel family. 5 stars!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MaroiB

Dear MaroiB, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We pride ourselves here at the Candlewood Suites Yorktown in providing excellent service and accommodations to our guests. I appreciate that you took the time complete a review on our hotel & staff; your stamp of approval is why is strive to do our best daily. We hope that you will come back in the near future to see us again!!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Had a great stay at Candlewoods Newport News. Melissa and her staff exceeded my every expectation. We had a four night stay and not once did we hear any of our neighbors. That was a first for us. Added bonuses included a movie theatre directly across the street along with a strip mall within a 5 minute walk.

If you are looking for a great place to stay that is situated centrally to Williamsburg, Hampton, and Norfolk. This is the spot for you. Lastly, the rooms were clean and the kitchen was well appointed with newer pots and pans.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank P C

Dear PC, Your Review Brighten our day here at the Candlewood Suites Yorktown; I’m glad you had a great stay with us! Our hotel consistently ranks above the brand average on service and it’s great to hear you experienced us at our best. My team & I work hard to make every guest feel welcome and at home. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!!

Melissa Perry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#3 of 40 in Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown

Been to Candlewood Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!