“Didn't want to leave. Ask for Scott from Sales.”

Candlewood Suites Newport News
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
“Didn't want to leave. Ask for Scott from Sales.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We loved it. My wife picked this place out for our pre honeymoon cruise. Great location by movie theater. Great staff. Scott hooked us up with a great room rate facing the lake. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear WeaponXX,

Thank you for such kind words. Your wife was very pleasant when I spoke with her! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and please don't hesitate to reach out to us when you plan to return. Thanks again for choosing Candlewood Suites Newport News-Yorktown, Virginia. Your new home away from home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights. Great room cause it was a two room suite it was big. Only drawback was we had our dogs with us so we had to pay a $50 non refundable fee and we had to stay in a smoking room! The room was nice but I did notice the smell of smoke is still with us. Other then that a great hotel in a good location would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Sherry B,

Glad you and you family stayed with us. We are in the final stages of renovation meaning soon we will have very few if any smoking rooms. Our two bedroom suite is definitely like an apartment which is why we also allow pets in that room. The $50 is a standard because of the chemicals we have to use for guests that are allergic to pets. We surely would avoid the pet fee charge if we could. Please contact us directly and mention your name next time you plan to stay with us. Thanks again for choosing Candlewood Suites Newport News-Yorktown.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is currently in the process of updating its rooms. The rooms are very nice. The hotel has a fitness center with high quality machines - a treadmill, elliptical, and a bike. There is no free breakfast, but the suite rooms are equipped with adequate kitchens. The staff was very kind and helpful. I only had two complaints. The beds were smaller than advertised. Our room was advertised as a king, but was certainly a queen. Our AC dripped water onto our carpet. However, this wasn't a big problem as it was a humid day, and we just avoided this area of the carpet.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear EB0320,

The humidity does indeed cause condensation at times. As mentioned, we do in fact have all queen beds or full size beds to make it more comfortable with the full size kitchens that we have in the hotel. We are happy you stayed with us and look forward to having you and your family when you return to our area.Thank you for staying with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My Mom and I travel to Newport News frequently, about once every couple of months or so and this is the only place we stay. There are a number of reasons for that; the location is ideal. It's a little tucked away, which is nice when you're looking for a little peace and quiet. It's directly across the street from a movie theatre - a stone's throw from that a great grocery store and a number of restaurants, allowing you to take full advantage of the kitchenette in every room. It is also very close to City Center at Oyster Point full of shopping and other restaurants. But what really sets this property apart is the service. You are always greeted with a smile and a genuinely warm welcome. We have stayed at this property so often that we are greeted by name when we arrive. In fact, on our last visit when we walked into the desk for check-in our materials and room keys were waiting for us on the counter because they saw us parking outside and wanted to have everything ready for us. Also on a previous visit, we were upgraded to an end unit suite which has a completely separate bedroom, which, for this chick who used to live in New York, was larger than my first apartment! Having stayed at a number of different hotels, and experienced varying levels of service, this place is a welcome breath of fresh air. Nothing about the staff at Candlewood is pretentious, they truly seem happy to assist you, and glad to have you back. We call this place our home away from home. Other good things to note, there is not someone at the front desk 24/7, however someone is always available by hotel phone. Also the entrance to the hotel is secure after a certain hour, (I think it's like 11:30pm or midnight?) so that you're not able to enter the hotel without a room key. I appreciate that extra level of security. Recent renovations have helped to make the hotel more aesthetically pleasing but the real jewels here are the people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake, that way you get a nice water view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hairysandwich
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear hairysandwich,

Wow, these are very nice comments and feedback indeed. With the Regal Cinema across the street, our location is stellar to our competition. We also appreciate the fact that you highlighted our best feature of all. The entire staff is very passionate about our hotel guest having the best experiences each and every day. Each staff member also has a unique knowledge of the things to do in the area. Thank you for pointing out that we do also ensure the safety of each and every guest which is why you must have a room key to enter the hotel after hours. You can consider us family and your home away from home anytime. Please stop at the desk and say hello to us the next time you and your mother are staying with us. See you soon and a big thank you for such a nice review.
Miami, FL
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stay at this hotel several times a year, and have been doing so for about the last 10 years. In the past it was starting to look a little "tired", so I was glad to see they are slowly making some renovations. I was there for four nights in July. There was a lot of hallway debris on the first floor - I guess from are the rooms they are currently renovating. The parking lot and sides of the building are surrounded with ripped out cabinetry, etc. as well as a trash trailer in the front parking lot. The good news is that I never had a problem with noise or interference from the renovations. My room (still not renovated) was 202 and was ok. I look forward to returning again in December to see what improvements have been made to the guest rooms. I especially hope they replace the dingy old carpeting. Even though the third floor is the "smoking" floor, I just might request to be there in the future because it sounded as if the people above me were stomping around ALL WEEK. It was really irritating (not the hotel's fault). They relocated the gym/laundry room to the other end of the lobby and there was a sign on the door, limiting the hours. That was kind of irritating because it always seemed as though there was a line of people waiting to do laundry (only two machines). The printed hotel literature states that the rooms are open 24/7. This hotel might want to re-think that policy. Or add a few more machines. But overall, considering renovation is going on, I was pleased.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear stomping above you all night, ask for a room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank timbolester
Dear timbolester,

We always love seeing a guest become part of our extended stay family. You have been very loyal to us and can tesify to the changes the property has undergone. When you return in December we are sure you will be amazed when you drive in the parking lot. Things will be very different then. The entire property will be complete and non-smoking as well. Please contact us prior to your arrival so we can ensure you get the third floor facing the lake. See you in December!
East Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was put up at the Candlewood Suites by my company for multiple weeks while training for a new position. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It was your basic Candlewood Suites room with an efficiency kitchen sharing one large room with your bed and living area - no separate bedroom. It was clean and smelled fresh.

Free coffee that was pretty darn good in the pantry near the front desk. No breakfast (but there is a Chick-fil-a within walking distance). Free laundry too, just bring your own soap.

Only issue, and it was at no fault of the hotel: On one of the days I was there, when I pulled into the hotel I was on the phone with a coworker and carrying groceries. I left my car unlocked - something I NEVER do! Completely my fault. My GPS, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and my Sunpass (Florida's answer to the EZ Pass) were stolen out of my car. The joke was on the thief though - my GPS wasn't really working properly and I reported my Sunpass stolen... so good luck with that :-) When I reported it to the hotel, they made sure to review the security footage to make sure it wasn't an employee or hotel guest. Unfortunately it was neither. Random truck pulled up in the wee hours of the morning and a guy checked every car to see if it was unlocked. Oh well. Bottom line - lock your car. This isn't an unsafe area, I felt safe and comfortable the entire time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pnkrkgrl85
DOSM-Scott-C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear pnkrkgrl85,

Our deepest concern goes out to you during that time. I believe the weekend you were here was Jazz Festival weekend where some of the stranger occurances take place. We appreciate your understanding during that situation and hope that next time you have a 100% relaxing time while you are with us. This is certainly a safe part of town. Outside of that we are pleased you enjoyed yourself. Looking forward to having you stay with us again.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We spent 5 nights here, our room was overlooking the lake at the back which was very pretty. The bed was only a Queen, which was a little small, and we only had one bedside cabinet. The curtains could have been a little longer, as I found the sunshine woke me up early peeping through the bottom of the curtains. Good sized fridge with a freezer, a coffee maker with 2 packs of complimentary coffee, but you could get free cups of coffee downstairs. The washer and tumbler were free to use which was a great boon. Cleaners moving about on the floors were very friendly. They didn't clean the rooms until you left, and if you needed to change your sheets or towels, you took them down to reception and they supplied you with new ones. The weather was hot while we were there, so got to use the outside pool a couple of times, very comfortable beds. We had a few problems with the keys not working, but this was rectified. The general manager Chris helped greatly with an issue we had, which was rectified immediately. Thanks Chris! Within walking distance of pictures, we had a bar snack at Unos which was just ok, they do a happy hour up until 7pm, make sure to ask which drinks they are. Tried Saiski, the asian restaurant, which was great. They also do happy hour drinks from 4-8pm. Also went to Second Street restaurant, a bit more pricey but upmarket, large portions and lovely inside with attractive outside seating.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pinchy,

We are glad you had a great extended stay with us. Chris has been a great asset to our team, in fact recently he was promoted. Unos, is one of many restaurants in the shopping center that has discounted beverages. If you venture out there are over 20 more in the same shopping area. Thanks for the nice comments and mentioning we are one of the few hotels in the area that have a fresh coffee brewery 24/7 in our lobby. We look forward to your return to stay with us. Cheers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News

Been to Candlewood Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!