“A Unique Find”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yorktown
York River Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Yorktown B&B and Inns
Salem, Virginia
“A Unique Find”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Great location overlooking the James River. Located on a quite cul-de-sac. Only 12 miles from Colonial Williamsburg by way of Colonial Parkway. We stayed in Washington Suite very nice room with sitting area. Only downfall was the lighting in the bathroom and no mirror over bathroom sink because of slope of the wall. Definitely need more lighting in bathroom was hard to see to put on makeup and do hair.
Bill(owner) great host and breakfast food was wonderful. Very creative with his meals.
Would highly recommend you staying here. It felt like home!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank PGibson61
Yorkriver, Owner at York River Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
I'm sorry the guest was disappointed with the mirror in the bathroom---because I have always been aware of that deficit, I provide a three-level light mirror with both regular and magnified sides to help folks who need brighter or more concentrated light for make-up or other purposes. Sorry she didn't find it on the dresser in the bedroom. It was noted in the amenities book that I provide and is in plain view. Glad they enjoyed their visit despite this issue! The guest looked lovely every day even though she didn't have a good lighted mirror!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I experienced an amazing breakfast that was full of creative, absolutely delicious food and wonderful conversation with other guests and innkeeper Bill Cole. The spectacular view over the river made me feel as I was on a cruise ship. Bill is a superb cook -- breakfast was like dining for dinner. He has mastered the attention for detail and knows how to pamper his guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AuntieM330
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

This venue is perfect for seeing the numerous historical attractions. Not only do you have a charming room and common area, but you also benefit from the extraordinary knowledge that Bill provides about history and the area. Add amazing breakfasts to the list and you have the perfect place to stay. I really enjoyed watching the many birds that stop by to feed and the peaceful view of the river. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Dixie A
Brookeville, Maryland
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Bill Cole, the innkeeper, is a wonderful host. The Presidents Room was comfortable and charming with many thoughtful amenities: cosy chairs and lighting for readers, tons of books and magazines, fluffy bath towels, toiletries, and down pillows. Our room overlooked the York River and the Coleman Bridge. Despite the Inn's proximity to the bridge, our room was very peaceful and quiet with no noise from traffic at all. Breakfasts were always delicious and with a Southern touch or two that brought back fond memories of my childhood. Bill is very knowledgeable about local history and was a great help to us with our plans to explore Yorktown and Jamestown. Our chats over breakfast were very enjoyable. Yorktown is a very interesting village and the Inn is within walking distance of the pleasant riverwalk path by the water and the Watermen's Museum. We even strolled into town one evening for dinner at the Riverwalk Restaurant. If you're too tired after a day of site seeing for a stroll, there is plenty of available public parking in town.

Bill sent us home with a bag of his wonderful home-made candied orange peel and the recipe for it. I didn't read the recipe until I got home and unpacked. Bill's humorous comments sprinkled throughout the recipe had me chuckling. It's worth getting a copy from him even if you never get around to making the orange peel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nola B
Yorkriver, Owner at York River Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
These folks were SO nice! But--all my guests are great! I was really pleased they liked the candied orange peel--it's one of the special things I started to make several years ago, and everyone seems to enjoy it! The recipe the guests mentioned was prepared when I was the Celebrity Chef at our local farmers' market, and I wanted something clever to jazz up my presentation!
Tipp City, Ohio
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a relaxing b & b that almost seems like a Virginia history museum. We stayed in the Presidents Room which has a balcony that provides a spectacular view of the York River and Coleman bridge and is just as wonderful at night as during the day. We watched a US Navy submarine and escorts head down river at breakfast and enjoyed the schooner ships during their sunset trips. Bill, the owner, is an encyclopedia of information about Virginia and her eight presidents. Our room was filled with memorabilia he has collected including original US maps dating back several hundred years. And as for breakfasts, ours were a delight of fantastic food including crab-a-dab-a-doos, thin bagels/pimento cheese, fruit salads, herbed tomatoes, hard boiled eggs covered with a sausage shell, asparagus that melted in our mouths -- well, check Bill's website and what you see is what you get. He makes everyone feel right at home and will suggest places to visit, excellent restaurants or just sit with you and chat about his travels around the world. The perfect host! Oh yes, the candied orange peel is sooooo good. He even gave us a bag of it to take with us as we traveled home. If in the area again, we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: The Presidents Room has the great view and you do not hear the traffic on the bridge!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mcgrew_p
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This was our third visit to York River. We were welcomed with candied orange peel. Bill was his usual gracious host. He knows so much, and imparts it in a way only a true native can. He truly cares that his guests are enjoying their visit to the area. Breakfast was delicious -- other than bacon, I don't think we've had the same entree twice in all of our visits. The view of the river from the second floor balcony is spectacular. If you are lucky (as we were on our first visit), a Navy ship will be pulling in or departing from the weapons depot up the river, and the drawbridge will be opened.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkriver, Owner at York River Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
It's a pleasure for me when guests return--and still give me a good review! I keep notes about what I serve all my guests--so I try not to repeat items when people come back the second or third time. Of course, some people DEMAND that I repeat some items--so I try to accommodate that as well!
North Carolina
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This was a very pleasant experience in a setting overlooking the York River. Candied orange peel was awaiting us upon check-in and had just been made. Bill is an extremely knowledgeable gentleman who made us feel welcome and prepared a fabulous breakfast including roasted herbed tomatoes, miniature pecan tarts, light as a feather waffles and a clafoutis. Bedding was first class, with down pillows and comforter. Plan on staying here if visiting Williamsburg, Yorktown or anywhere on the Virginia Peninsula. Also take advantage of Bill's extensive knowledge of the area and its history.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Williamsburg Inn
Williamsburg Inn
#1 of 73 in Williamsburg
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Colonial Houses-Colonial Williamsburg

Been to York River Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!