We chose the Casa for its reputation as both a good birding location and a place where we (as novice birders) might learn something about this unique birding area. We chose well. The property borders the San Pedro River with immediate access to a trail where we saw hawks, ducks, songbirds and quail. The property itself has many feeders (all with great visibility from inside the inn), a pond, and trees so the birds come right to you if you just sit quietly. (In fact, a Cooper's hawk sailed right over my shoulder and snatched a Gambel's quail not 2 yards from my feet!)
Carl and Patrick are excellent hosts (and cooks). They are unobtrusive yet immediately available to answer questions, offer suggestions or just chat. They set us up with an excellent dinner reservation on the first night of our 4 day stay, had up- to- date information on winter road conditions in the canyons we planned to visit, taught me how to use my I-Bird phone app and had lots of books and literature available. Best of all, they made arrangements for us to hire the BEST bird guide in the Southwest, Wezil Welraven, who made our trip totally worthwhile. Wezil is knowledgable about birds, the natural history and geography of the local area, and is a great teacher (and storyteller). After 2 days (and about 90 NEW bird species) we felt like we really knew southeast Arizona.
In addition, the Casa itself was lovely. Our room was spacious and comfortable; it opened onto a lovely courtyard with a short walk to the main building where gourmet breakfast is served in a sunlit dining room at 2 massive banquet tables, where guests can socialize (and watch the birds during breakfast). There is also a guest service area available, with use of a common refrigerator, microwave and laundry facility. Picnic supplies (paper plates, plastic bags, ice and other things you wouldn't think of carrying in your suitcase) are provided for guest's convenience. And the owners' two big lovable (well-behaved) dogs give the place a homey feel.
Casa de San Pedro wasn't just what we were hoping for-- it was actually a lot better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SE Arizona territorial hacienda located on the San Pedro River - one of the Nature Conservancy's Last Great Places on Earth. 10 luxury guest rooms. Only 90 miles SE of Tucson, but only inches from heaven. Perfect for birding, hiking, biking or relaxing. Above al it is quiet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Casa de San Pedro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De San Pedro Hotel Hereford
- Casa De San Pedro Hereford, Arizona