“Hope to return again soon!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hereford
Battiste's Bed, Breakfast & Birds
Ranked #3 of 7 Hereford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family of five spent a week at Battiste's B B & B. The accommodations were very comfortable but it is the hosts and birds that truly make this place one of a kind. I felt like I was in an aviary when sitting in their back yard. So many species of birds! What a treat it was to see the Elf Owl and watch the mom and dad flying in and out of the nest to feed the baby! There is wonderful hiking in the area and Tony and Julie were great guides able to point out many birds and help us decipher by sound alone! Our son is an amateur photographer and Tony gave him lots of tips and even let him borrow a lens to get a good shot of the Elf Owl feeding. This was a perfect vacation with lots of time to relax but plenty of nature to enjoy nearby. Thank you Tony and Julie for being such warm and knowlegable hosts!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Tony and Julie were extremely gracious hosts. The accommodations were more than adequate with two baths, kitchenette, two bedrooms, TV area and easy access to washer and dryer. My family of four spent three nights and two days there. I am an enthusiast bird photographer. I could not have been happier with the bird blind and surrounding area. Tony is very knowledgeable of the area and pointed me in the right direction for different birds that I wanted to photograph. On his property alone I was able to photograph elf owls and several species of hummingbirds that I had not seen or photographed previously. With his help I was able to also see elegant trogons and gambel's quail at different locations.

While this BB&B is more expensive than the local hotels, it is very much worth it as you are very close to the birds that you probably want to see plus Tony and Julie are wonderfully nice individuals who make you feel right at home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our first stay at BB&B (bed&breakfast&birds) and we hope to return someday. What a lovely set-up for birders. Tony welcomed us upon our arrival and gave us a tour of our accomodations and the beautiful water features and bird feeders that attract so many birds. I spent a fantastic day photographing the birds from different sitting areas using the light to my advantage. We felt right at home in our casita. Tony had thought of everything to make our stay enjoyable. From a deck of cards to snacks and magazines and novels. Tony supplied food stuff for our breakfast including yogurt, cereal, milk and orange juice. We could not have asked for more. Tony was instrumental in pointing us in the right direction for getting a bird that was high on our priority list.

Room Tip: The casita we stayed in did not have air conditioning although there was a ceiling fan and a floor f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Tony and Julie will both make you comfortable and share a beautiful yard that is full of some of Azs special birds. A friend and I only spent one night but it was one I will treasure. I am looking forward to a return trip as soon as possible!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was our first stay at Batisste's B and B. We thoroughly enjoyed the hosts, Tony and Julie. What a lovely couple and so knowledgeable about the local wildlife. They have set up their yard as a haven for migratory and local birds. We even tried out the bird blind. The birds were so close. This was such a treat. We were also able to add a few life birds to our lists, by just sitting in their yard.

We stayed in the Casita del Pajaro, a studio apartment. We enjoyed having the kitchen. Julie made delicious baked goods for breakfast. They also provided other breakfast items, as well as juice and coffee. This allowed us to get an early start to the day, if we chose to.

The biggest treat was the returning Elf Owl, in their yard. We were there for 3 nights and got to see the owl all 3 nights. We saw the mate on the third night. Again, what a treat!

This B and B is ideally located for so many birding hotspots. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Battiste's in early April and enjoyed it a lot. The environment is lovely and Tony and Julie are warm and welcoming. But what makes Battiste's really special is that it lives up to its name of Bed, Breakfast and Birds. Their backyard is great for any birder (the resident elf owl and three new-born curve bill thrashers were the highlights when we were there) and a particular delight for bird photographers - photogenic perches are placed near the feeders and a discreet blind is situated nearby as well, enabling close-up photography of lazuli bunting, warblers, orioles, woodpeckers, hummingbirds etc, without disturbing the birds. Overall, probably the best set-up for photographing birds I've ever enjoyed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I arrived with 3 friends, one a couple who slept in a large, well appointed master suite with sliding doors to a patio. We were met by the outgoing and bird-loving owner and his equally friendly golden lab, a treat for animal lovers as we all were. The apartment we rented was quiet and equipped with a small refrigerator, toaster, sink and electric skillet. Our breakfast was self serve and included delectable bakery items fresh from the oven of the hostess. Our host was very friendly and very active in birding the surrounding area. We had many fine recommendations as where to go. Perhaps the very best part of the experience was the exquisite garden attached to the B & B which was bird friendly, including an old telephone pole for the use of the several varieties of woodpecker. The small room I and another female friend slept in had a bathroom across the kitchen. This is fine for the person who does not take a long time to wake up and doesn't mind trundling through the kitchen for the morning bathroom visit.. This is a wonderful choice for a couple who are avid birders who love animals and want a charming and friendly place for a vacation in beautiful SE Arizona. The extra bedroom is available for a reasonable additional fee.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shallis

Been to Battiste's Bed, Breakfast & Birds? Share your experiences!