“Great Bed and Breakfast”

Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Worth every penny, the beds were fantastic,the porches beg to be visited for a long sit . The staff was friendly and the location is super convenient to the the Ferry to Cumberland Island. Exceptionally clean but a bit dated .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Mary and her husband were just wonderful - lavished attention, provided assistance and was a great help to us during our stay. We did arrive earlier than intended and greeted by another woman who was slightly annoyed that we arrived early and they were not prepared yet.
All turned out well and we eased into our visit. Our room was lovely, spacious but the house is old, so do not expect perfect quiet.

The breakfast was ample, filling and not fussy.

It is a lovely town and lovely location to access Cumberland Island. I would come back in a minute.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were so very pleased with our stay at the Spencer House Inn. A perfectly beautiful home and lovely people to care for our needs. We never had to move the car once during our stay as we could walk to everything.

You won't be disappointed here.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are wonderful. Just depends on your price point.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

What makes this inn so special is the care that the innkeeper, Mary, lavishes upon her guests. From the outset, when we called to book a reservation, Mary went out of her way for us, going down to the pier and checking to see if there would be room on the ferry to Cumberland Island the next day. She prepared delicious breakfasts and snacks and gave excellent advice about local restaurants and places to visit in the area. All of her recommendations were spot on because she took the time to listen and understand the kind of things we enjoy.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for one night last weekend. Unfortunately, it wasn't friendly Mary who greeted us when we arrived. We were semi-rudely asked to wait in another room while the lady at the desk showed folks who had previously arrived around the inn. When she came back from her tour to check us in, she showed us a refrigerator that she indicated was for guest use. Seeing someone else's cooler in the refrigerator, I asked if I could put my backpack in as well (this town is the stopping place to catch the early ferry to Cumberland Island where there is no food available, so everything has to be packed in and out.) She rudely stated that the refrigerator was for everyone's use and my backpack would take up too much space - I guess the other party's cooler wasn't subject to the same scrutiny?? It seemed the refrigerator was actually to sell stuff to guests, not actually for guests to use. So, why not just introduce it that way? She did offer to help me unpack and label everything, then put it in the fridge. Since I had already spent half an hour packing it and we had to be at the ferry at 8:15AM, I didn't think this made any sense for us.(I guess there's new geometry in St. Mary where if you take things out of a pack they consume less space?? My engineer husband couldn't figure this one out.) When we got into our room, we decided to freshen up and think about dinner. I went into the bathroom and was confronted with a label indicating which face cloth I should use to wash off my makeup! Between my husband (who travels for a living) and myself, we calculated we've spent well over 1000 nights in various hotels/inns/etc in the past 5 years- on several different continents- but this was our first experience at spending almost $200 a night for a borderline-acceptable bed and breakfast and having the pleasure of being told which washcloth to use. I was appalled. In all fairness, breakfast and meeting Mary the next morning was delightful and a typical southern hospitality experience. This Inn, and the whole town, is clearly geared to the over 80 crowd. I had a hard time holding within the confines of my head the cognitive dissonance of being in a Georgia town where I was free to walk around with a concealed weapon, but was told that I had to use a specific washcloth to remove my makeup- and don't try swearing in the town park. 2nd amendment rights are front and center, but 1st amendment rights have no place here. It's like a town from a Stephen King novel. Avoid it at all costs - take the late ferry and drive in from Savannah or Jacksonville. Some senator has clearly earned his salary by arranging for the ferry to leave from here.

Room Tip: Stay in a real town like Jacksonville or Savannah.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
spencerhouseinn, Owner at Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the southern hospitality at breakfast, Mike and our kitchen staff do such a great job. I wish that I had been available to check you in when you arrived at Spencer House Inn. As you saw at breakfast, we pride ourselves on the level of hospitality that we offer, and I am disappointed that you were not welcomed warmly. Our guest refrigerator does have limited space, but it is certainly for guest usage and that message should have been communicated to you. We have a special cleaning process for makeup removal washcloths to ensure that they are clean and stain-free for each guest. I always like to point out the makeup washcloths to my guests so that there isn’t any confusion about this extra washcloth. I am sorry to hear that you were made to feel ordered around and will certainly address that with my staff. St. Marys is a small, quiet town without traffic, noise, or bright lights. Many people enjoy the quiet, slow-paced atmosphere. It is unfortunate that our town couldn’t offer you the experience that you wanted during your stay here. If you decide to visit Cumberland Island again, but stay in Jacksonville or Savannah, please give us a call. We would be happy to pack a picnic lunch for you to pick up on your way to the ferry office. If you would contact me personally at info@spencerhouseinn.com with your check in date and confirmation number, I would be able to investigate what fell through with the level of hospitality that you received. - Mary - Owner/Innkeeper, Spencer House Inn

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Great Hospitality, couldn't be more accommodating! Interesting house, super clean, fabulous breakfast, everything you could want or need offered before you ask. Spot on with local information and a great lunch for us to take to Cumberland Island.

Room Tip: Opted for the smallest room, it was fine, but wish we had spent the extra few dollars.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast is a charming historic home nestled amongst the Magonolia trees and Confederate Jasmine in the lovely city of St. Marys, GA. This was my second visit to Spencer House Inn and both times were greeted and treated with southern hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2014
Riverview Hotel
Riverview Hotel
#2 of 4 in St. Marys
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
#2 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!