“Loved Riverview Hotel - it felt homey”
Review of Riverview Hotel

Riverview Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Loved Riverview Hotel - it felt homey”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

A friend and I recently had a one-night reservation for the Riverview Hotel in St Marys in advance of our day trip to Cumberland Island.

If you're going to Cumberland, THIS is the hotel you want! It's directly across the road from the ferry dock. You can roll out of bed, grab some complimentary breakfast, and simply cross the street to check in at the ferry office (Note: I recommend checking in to the ferry early rather than late as their registration process is a little slow. Plus you get the jump on those last-minute arrivals).

But enough about the ferry, more about the hotel!

Upon arriving, you sort of feel like you've stumbled onto the set of an old movie. Pictures speak 1000 words, so be sure to look at the ones I'm attaching. The entire hotel has an antique feel.

When making a reservation, you choose a specific room from those the hotel has available. We originally chose the "Nimitz" room, #4. Upon checking in, the clerk handed us two keys and said we might want to check out room #19, the Okefenokee, instead since it offered a little more space. We appreciated the offer and did stay in #19.

Rooms are furnished with antique beds, tables, and chests. (But the bathrooms that we saw were very modern). Our room had hardwood floors and a remote-controlled window air conditioner-like unit with a digital thermostat for easy adjustments. Beds were comfy if a little tired. The same could be said for the pillows.

The public areas are decorated with more antiques. There's a public balcony that stretches across the front of the hotel with benches and swings for relaxing. It was a very nice place to sit and enjoy the waterfront views or to make a phone call. The hotel cat will probably greet you at the top of the stairs and expect a scratch or two under the chin.

There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, though we didn't try it. A complimentary continental breakfast is offered each morning with breads, muffins, bagels, fruits, coffee, milk, cereal, etc. There are other restaurants right around the corner from the hotel. If you're going to Cumberland, you can order a box lunch for your day trip at the front desk, or cross the street to Market on the Square and order one from there.

Be sure to end your evenings with a drink in the adjacent saloon. We loved talking with the bartender and the drink prices were very good!

To sum up: Would I stay at this hotel again? Absolutely. It's comfortable, clean, homey, in an interesting small town, they have a cat, they have free wi-fi, they have a saloon, and they feed you well in the morning.

Room Tip: Browse the hotel website to choose your room as each is unique.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank xrae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights prior to an overnight trip to Cumberland Island. We had originally planned to stay at a B&B in the area, but their A/C was out due to damage from TS Beryl. We did not have a reservation at Riverview, but got a very good walk-in rate for a mid-week stay. We were given Room #12, which is a corner room with views to the east and south. The room was perfectly adequate for the two of us, with a nice view of the river and the Cumberland Island Ferry (which docks directly across the street).

Parking for the hotel is on the street, but we never had any trouble finding a space nearby. They provide a free continental breakfast consisting of muffins, bagels, etc, and coffee. There is also a restaurant and bar on-site (Seagle's) but we never went to either.

There is not a whole lot to the historic section of St Marys, but the Riverview is in the middle of it all. It was easy walking distance to all the restaurants and shops, and the St Marys Welcome Center is right next door. The ferry landing and Cumberland Island Visitor's Center is right across the street from the hotel, and it is a short walk from there to the city's waterfront park. We were able to walk easily to everything we needed to get to.

The only potential negative is that the bar (which is on the Osborne St side) is very popular, and can generate some noise on the weekends - mostly cars and motorcycles coming and going. We didn't find that too bothersome, but if you are a light sleeper then you might want to request a room on the St Marys St side.

All things considered it was a delightful stay, and we would definitely consider the Riverview again if we are in the area.

-JimG

Room Tip: The hotel is small, and rooms on the Osborne St side are directly above Seagle's Saloon. As note...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JimGinAtlanta
Bell, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Although the hotel itself was ok, the rooms were small but nicely furnished in antiques as I expected. The restaurant advertised in their brochure and online was not nearly as good as I expected. I prepaid $40 for a coupon advertised for two meals and two drinks but when I gave to waitress she said it was only just $40 off the total bill. I was told by wife owner ( when I made reservation) that it was to be good for anything on menu not just straight dollar for dollar. Why would I prepay $40 for $40 value. The husband owner claimed he didn't know anything about it and his wife did that stuff. He really didn't seem to care. When my restaurant bill came it was only $37 and the waitress did not want to give me change back from my $40 "gift certificate" until I put up a fuss. AND on top of all that, the food was very mediocre and overcooked.

On check out the husband and wife were present and told me it was just a misunderstanding and he gave me a $5 credit - BIG DEAL! Attitude was lousy and I would not go back.

Best thing about St. Mary's was the sunset cruise on the sailboat "Dream" directly across from the hotel. Rest of town was pretty much shut down. Economy has taken its toll there. Not much to do unless you are going to Cumberland Island and you can go there from other places.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We planned two nights at this hotel as we were taking the boat for a day on Cumberland Island. The hotel is indeed old but we were unhappy about the lack of service.
When we checked out the owner was at the desk. When we told him our poor service he said " I will have to talk to the woman". Never did he say sorry, thanks for staying here, come back, anything. We had the impression he didn't care one way or another.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mnm2026lark
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I have just arrived home to Beaufort SC after another stay at my favorite hotel. It is about an 8 hour boat ride down the ICW to St Marys and the Riverview Hotel. I could make the trip faster but it is kind of like staying at the Riverview. I just want to enjoy the view and time with friends.
Friends are what you will find upon your arrival. You may find yourself setting in the bar (no smoking inside anymore) or on the veranda overlooking the St Marys River, but where ever you are you will meet someone like yourself. You can read the reviews from the folks who rated their stay as anything below very good or excellent, and be assured that they will not be there to dampen your dayor spoil the old time spirit of this gem of a seaside inn.

Jerry, the ex mayor of St Marys, has restored the inn to it's original grandeur. All of the rooms have been remodeled and the hardwood floors need to be bragged on, as Jerry refinished them himself and he did an excellent job. Yes, there are window units in the bedrooms but it is sort of hard to run modern HVAC in a 100 year old building. Mine worked great! We had to take a couple of more rooms than we had reserved because we realized that, as we have aged we sleep lighter and snore louder, so a double just does not work any more for some of us. The hotel was booked and one room not rented because of a broked air conditioning unit (they are mostly new now) but the owner bought a new one and installed it himself so that we could have the room.

If you have to have room service, don't like cats or the fact that you have to go all the way down a flight of stairs to get your own coffee, then go stay some where else. The Riverview is for happy people; so smile and go meet your new friends at the Riverview.

Robert

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Anne G
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I've only stayed here once but I will come back. The room was lovely, very clean, and furnished in period antiques. Everything about the hotel is quaint and "homey" - - including Pepper and Daisy, the two resident cats who will come and visit in your room if you like. Daisy spent a few hours on my bed with me one evening, which made me miss my furries a little less. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water... :)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Shadowe10
cape cod
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Best feature: Right across the street from Cumberland Island ferry.
Worst: Rather pricey for an old, smallish room. Also, minimal b'fast choices.

Room Tip: I've heard that rooms facing the river are preferable but one was not available when I was there...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#10 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#11 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!