A friend and I recently had a one-night reservation for the Riverview Hotel in St Marys in advance of our day trip to Cumberland Island.
If you're going to Cumberland, THIS is the hotel you want! It's directly across the road from the ferry dock. You can roll out of bed, grab some complimentary breakfast, and simply cross the street to check in at the ferry office (Note: I recommend checking in to the ferry early rather than late as their registration process is a little slow. Plus you get the jump on those last-minute arrivals).
But enough about the ferry, more about the hotel!
Upon arriving, you sort of feel like you've stumbled onto the set of an old movie. Pictures speak 1000 words, so be sure to look at the ones I'm attaching. The entire hotel has an antique feel.
When making a reservation, you choose a specific room from those the hotel has available. We originally chose the "Nimitz" room, #4. Upon checking in, the clerk handed us two keys and said we might want to check out room #19, the Okefenokee, instead since it offered a little more space. We appreciated the offer and did stay in #19.
Rooms are furnished with antique beds, tables, and chests. (But the bathrooms that we saw were very modern). Our room had hardwood floors and a remote-controlled window air conditioner-like unit with a digital thermostat for easy adjustments. Beds were comfy if a little tired. The same could be said for the pillows.
The public areas are decorated with more antiques. There's a public balcony that stretches across the front of the hotel with benches and swings for relaxing. It was a very nice place to sit and enjoy the waterfront views or to make a phone call. The hotel cat will probably greet you at the top of the stairs and expect a scratch or two under the chin.
There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, though we didn't try it. A complimentary continental breakfast is offered each morning with breads, muffins, bagels, fruits, coffee, milk, cereal, etc. There are other restaurants right around the corner from the hotel. If you're going to Cumberland, you can order a box lunch for your day trip at the front desk, or cross the street to Market on the Square and order one from there.
Be sure to end your evenings with a drink in the adjacent saloon. We loved talking with the bartender and the drink prices were very good!
To sum up: Would I stay at this hotel again? Absolutely. It's comfortable, clean, homey, in an interesting small town, they have a cat, they have free wi-fi, they have a saloon, and they feed you well in the morning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Closest Lodging to Cumberland Island Ferry, The Riverview Hotel circa 1916 has 18 guest rooms each named after some of the notable guests that have either visited or stayed at the hotel over the years. We serve a deluxe continental breakfast daily, wireless internet access, full service bar and restaurant, and pack picnic lunches to carry out. Reasonable rates and convenient location are a plus. Discover history, discover Cumberland Island, discover yourself, at the Riverview Hotel. Relax and enjoy beautiful St. Marys, GA, the little town by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Riverview Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riverview Hotel Saint Marys
- Riverview Hotel St. Marys, Georgia