“I loved it but have to be honest......”
Review of Riverview Hotel

Riverview Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Orlando
“I loved it but have to be honest......”
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Ok, I loved the Riverview! The history alone was exciting to me.

Now, while I understand the peeling wallpaper and the chipped window frames, to me it's part of the charm, I have to agree with the others that the cleaning could be better. The sheets and towels were clean and carpets free of visible dirt. I did read ahead of time of the smoke smell so carried room freshner with me. Any of you who get room #17 can thank me later.
The cleaning of the hallways and stairs weren't the best and cobwebs were noticable in many corners.
You can feel the history of this place where ever you go. There is a balcony that overlooks the main street with chairs and tables. It was neat to come out and watch the goings on. We had no problems with noise. No there is no a/c in the lobby or any common area, they were just added to the rooms. Since I didn't spend much time there I didn't care. The hosts were very friendly and helpful in anything we needed.
If I were spending $150.00 per night I might have a problem with some of these things, but to stay in a part of history for $70.00 per night??? I'd come again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Location!!!!
  • Disliked — Only the cleanliness of common areas
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank captnemo62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2008

This hotel has great potential for being historic and quaint and while I admit I did not see all of the rooms we had to leave after our first night because we could not tolerate the filth. I was traveling with my daughter so we were not interested in the bar, but maybe that would have made the place look better. I am not a very picky person, I don't stay at high end hotels but I don't expect t find piles of dirt on the floor in the lobby, halls, stairway and on the windowsill in the room. We were uncomfortable walking on the bathroom floor without shoes on, the tub faucet was completely corroded through on the underside and the shower was ridiculous and scary to turn on. The comforter was dirty and the carpet in the room had not been vacuumed. I don't know if there is usually air conditioning in the common areas of the hotel but there wasn't any during our stay. The lobby, halls and foyer on the second floor were stiflingly hot and the air in the room had not been on anytime recently and the vent was filthy. We could not stay in the room immediately and had to leave while the window air conditioner tried to cool the room. The room never got cool, because with the ceilings so high and the bathroom large there was no way the the small air conditioner could keep the space comfortable. I was truly disappointed because I was looking for a unique place to stay. It doesn't take a lot to vacuum and dust, its unfortunate that this hotel is so poorly maintained because it could be a true gem.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank FloridaAbby
atlanta
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Well... We just returned from our vacation, which included a stay at the Riverview. We were suposed to stay two nights, but changed our mind about going to Cumberland and shortened it to one night... After spending a night at the Riverview I was thankful we didn't stay again.
Starting with the positive... it is convenient to "downtown." The price was wonderful. It was quaint. The man working the front desk was very nice. The food at Seagles was awesome. We had a great view of the river! Sitting in the park and people watching was fun.

On the down side...The mattresses were horrible, the sheets looked like they were bought at a yard sale, one set had grease stains on it. The window frame was being held together with duct tape, and the wood was rotting. The toilet and tub were stained very badly... I'm sure they were clean, though. There was no phone in the room. In the top drawer of the dresser, we found an old bag of peanuts and a package of taco bell hot sauce. Window unit air conditioner didn't keep the whole room cool.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat if it was renovated! New mattresses and sheets would be a HUGE improvement. Painting the rooms and taking down the wallpaper would be a "quick fix" too! This hotel has so much potential. I wonder if the owners have looked into grant money to assist with the repairs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Different strokes for different folks!
I've read the reviews here and clearly there are all kinds of people. This hotel is not for the folks who want a McDonalds' of Hotels -- or a Hyatt either.

OUR family brought two small fishing boats and a 2nd family with us to do three days of fishing and exploring in Cumberland Sound, offshore, and on Cumberland Island. This hotel was perfect for us.

Yes, the carpet is old; the glue gone from the wallpaper in places, and the place smells of smoke and there are cats. Yes, my AC unit worked either full blast or not at all; Yes the place is OLD.

Now let me tell you what we found: I'm terribly allergic to cats and they never bothered me one bit. You feel like you are pefectly safe, that even things left out won't be stolen. You can sit on the verandah at night and talk; there is a sitting room if you wish. It is "warm" downstairs but the breakfasts are filling and they don't mind when you come back stinky from fishing. The walk in the morning is wonderful just after sunrise because you're right THERE on the waterfront. The diet coke machine at Lang's marina (one block down) gives TWO diet cokes for 65 cents in the mornings. The man who runs the marina is a hoot! He helped us get our two boats in slips for $25/each/night. If you don't want to pay that, there is a public dock you can use for 6 hours at a time, there are TWO boat ramps in town, and they will let you park trailers for up to 36 hours at a time right there at the waterfront. The ramp is UNCROWDED and grooved and it is a NO HASSLE trailering experience. Jerry let our friends have a 3rd room for [I'm not going to put it here because that would harm Jerry] and we were astonished at his generosity. The dinners at the Seagle cafe of the hotel were WONDERFUL and ended up being the cheapest "nice" restaurant we found! The rock shrimp were BOUNTIFUL. When we needed to charge our "golf cart" Jerry's crew found us a safe area to leave and charge it every night -- and when we couldn't find the golf cart manager the day we left (I think he was sick) Jerry said no problem, he would take care of it. The bookshelves are filled with old typewriters and cameras and photos and I WISH i had had time to sit and teach my kids from those items alone. We fished and fished and fished and had wonderful fun. We docked at the north side of the docks on Cumberland, paid our little fees, and walked and walked and walked while our younger kids played on the sugar sand of the beach. Dungeness was awe-inspiring and the horses beautiful. Our time was gone in oh too short a span. We had a room with a queen for my wife and me, and another room with two doubles for one son and an exchange student from Afria with us -- $60/night. You can't BEAT that! Lang's is only open for gas from 8AM-5PM, but the marina at Fernandina is open 'til 8 PM and there is bait at a little store right near the Fernandina marina. We could NOT find a bait store in St. Marys's. The people in the sail boats at the slips were WONDERFUL and some helped us with docking. There was a Marine Corps wedding at the seafront park while we were there. Ice cream and fudge right across from the hotel is pricey but memorable. Jerry has kept an incredible hotel going that is a great boon to families like ours who are out to teach our kids and have great fun doing it. They plan to remodel end of 08 and beginning of 09....I will try to re-visit BEFORE the remodeling. Such a wonderful place and so close to us!

Again -- different strokes for different folks. If you're not looking for the wonderful memories and great experieinces that we were looking for -- this might not be the place for you. If you like backpacking and hiking and fishing and camping -- this hotel is your base of operations and they are wonderful!

• Liked — wonderful for fishermen
  • Disliked — smoke
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank CaracalFisherFamily
Snowmass Village, Colorado
Reviewed 8 April 2008

i was looking for an off the beaten track hotel and the riverview sounded acceptable.nice town but this hotel was beyond shabby.stained and worn out carpets,rotting wood,peeling paint and wallpaper,a free roaming cat.totally devoid of any handicapped accessability,building inspectors have obviously turned a blind eye.to top it off the dingy bar is "manned" by a foul-mouthed woman whose insults are considered cute.the owner apparently used to be mayor,hence the loose enforcement of any codes.get new management!

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank keverina
Kennesaw, GA
Reviewed 13 March 2008

I've been staying at the Riverview two or three times a year for over twenty years. It's almost like a home away from home by now. This is truely one of the bargains in the state. The location couldn't be any better. Jerry and Gaila are terrific hosts, the place has been in Jerry's family for generations. This isn't a Holiday Inn, it's a real inn. Every room is different and they're all charming. Yes, it's old, that's part of it's charm. It could use a minor repair here and there, again part of the charm. If you're looking for a enjoyable and distinctive experiance at a great price, this is the place to stay.

• Liked — Location, staff, price, history
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
little rock arkansas
Reviewed 1 January 2008

The Riverview is the type place I wish I could recommend. It is a historic two story hotel in the historic district of St Marys, Georgia - off the beaten path and at a dead end on a gorgeous river with close and direct access to the Atlantic Ocean and the picturesque inland waterways and marshes off the Georgia Coast. We had stayed there several times a little over a decade ago as a jumping off spot to backpacking trips to beautiful Cumberland Island National Seashore. The ferry leaves for there across the street from the hotel. We returned with our child and friends after a long respite to go back to the Island. The hotel had been what I'd call "basic" in the early nineties. Nothing fancy, laid back, friendly owners, reasonable rates, great views of the sea, generally clean and with an interesting history. The friendly owner, history, views and low rates are still there, but unhappily the owner has not invested much in the property since we left. It has honestly been a long time since I have seen overnight lodging in such condition. Mold, peeling wall paper, torn carpeting, rusted out sink, and the list goes on with each look around the rooms. We expected basic and unfortunately it was more like a flophouse. The very genial owner explained that the property, which has been in his family for decades, has been on the market. He said he plans to spend several hundred thousand dollars on it in the next year. Before I could take my family there again, I'd need to know that the work had been done.

• Liked — location, genial owners, friendly cat
  • Disliked — mold, poor state of repair
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank jimjade3
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#10 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews
Mariners Suites
Mariners Suites
#15 of 21 in Kingsland
Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!