“Great Deserts, Everything else lacking”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bistro & Brew - CLOSED

The Bistro & Brew
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Waitstaff
Description: The Bistro and Brew is a small neighborhood eatery serving fresh, simple, local fare with an eclectic bistro twist. Homemade soups, pasta, sausage, cheese & sandwiches made from fresh roasted meats daily, salads, local seafood. Our menu is created to match the season with fresh local ingredients.We focus on the details of seasoning, balance and presentation of each dish.The Bistro and Brew is perfect for your next private event, or office party; book early around Holidays to ensure your date. 887 F Kingsbay Rd St. Marys Ga. (just a country block from the Hospital)Hours Tues -Sat 10am till 10pm, Sun 9am -3pm (for brunch only)
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Great Deserts, Everything else lacking”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Went hoping to love this place but it did not meet my expectations. I ordered a salad and the pork sandwich, wife had onion soupe and something not memorable. For starters the salad was of the quality one might expect at huddle house for $2.50 not what I would expect for a $6 salad it was composed of iceberg some onions and cucumber with the dressing on the side for an upscale place I expect the dressing to be homemade and the salad tossed and presented in some sort of appealing fashion. The pork sandwich touted house cured bacon, housemade ham, and smoke pork. What I got tasted of warmed over bacon, unfresh pork, and regular deli ham all on a brioche bun with no kind of sauce whatsoever and a little skimpy side of slaw. Inquired about a beer list and was told they didn't serve alcohol currently...really you have a place called bistro and brew and no beer? The deserts on the other hand were the shining star, would I return? Probably, but only for coffee and desert. And seriously put a picture in the frame instead of hanging a sideways frame on the wall with the stock halmark photo left in, and maybe finish the edges on the tablecloths. Hopefuly this place will improve.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank Justin S

Saint Marys, Ga
“Best Food in Camden County Hands Down!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I had the Privilege to eat at the Bistro and brew for lunch on Kings Bay Rd, it's across the street from JP's. It was busy in the small dinning room, I knew i was in for a treat!! I saw the cake case and knew i wanted to Finnish my meal off with a sweet cake, cheesecake or brownie from inside!!
I stared out with a Bowl of French onion soup, the soup was so delicious, their was such a sweet onion flavor, I could tell the soup was made with ox tail because this taste and darkness couldn't come from bouillon,and i tasted a hint of truffle oil, it was delivered in a coffee cup with a baguette and cheese, as well as extra baguettes on the side, I had asked my server why it was in a coffee cup and she explained that the coffee cup held the same amount as their large soup bowl so Chef Victoria found it to be a cute way to send the soup out, I agreed!
Next i had ordered from the black board a croque monsieur, a French Ham and cheese toasted on both sides of the bread with Gruyere cheese melted on the ham and bubbly Mornay sauce on the top slice of toast and a side of house made slaw. This sandwich was so delicious, flavorful and Hot that i had to use my fork! the slaw was sweet and tangy, i could tell it was fresh made!
Last but certainly not least, i had a piece of cheesecake from the beautifully stocked display case, i was informed by my server, a friendly lady with a thick New York accent, that this cheese cake was made with goat cheese and Chef Victoria makes everything in the case herself, this piece was so big i didn't thing i could Finnish it my self, it had homemade strawberry jam on top and was oh so creamy! and i emptied the plate.
As i finished my meal I told my server how amazing everything was, she offered to get the Chef so i could meet her, Chef Victoria came to my table and introduced herself. We had a very nice chat! I cant wait to come back i felt like i had gone to see a distant cousin and was so welcomed with arms open and great food!

3 Thank Jennifer A
St. Marys
“Camden County's Culinary Coup!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Have you been Jonesing for cuisine prepared by genuine chefs like you have had elsewhere? Have you ever wanted to try fine cuisine but thought it out of your red-neck reach?

Well, folks, either way, your ship has definitely arrived.

Tonight, I had the exquisite pleasure of actually DINING at Bistro and Brew, located where the late Hot Skillets was the last to fail in that location.

I've opined more than once that the only way a restaurant would even survive - much less thrive - in that terrible location was if someone opened a restaurant that was so good that it became a destination restaurant rather than a spur of the moment place. These folks are that restaurant. Don't be surprised if they become such a destination that reservations might eventually be required.

I dropped $29.00 and a $5.00 tip in there tonight.
A bargain.

The iced tea was strong with a faint hint of a flavor which I think might have been jasmine. It was delicious.

The signature French onion soup was far-and-away the best I have EVER eaten. Unless you've been to Paris, my guess is you have never had French onion soup this good. Obviously homemade beef stock with just a hint of salt. No bouillon cubes there, I'll gaurontee. Thick, juicy onion slices - probably Vidalia. Good bread in soup. Cheese on top melted with a torch. Extraordinary.

The slab of fillet of haddock was so large it had to be cut in half and stacked to fit plate.

It was delicately breaded in delicious bread crumbs - from artisan bread baked on site - with just a hint of flavor from fresh Rosemary leaves mixed in. I believe it was pan fried in clarified butter until the bread crumbs were golden brown on both sides. It was cooked to perfection. Done but moist. It was so flavorful that to have used any of the provided tarter sauce would have been criminal.

It came with rice that was steamed to perfection then moistened a bit with some sort of a light, flavorful oil I was unable to identify. It was superb.

I added a side of fresh Brussels sprouts. They were prepared just the way my Scottish housekeeper does them. They were sautéed in bacon grease with bits of bacon until the natural sugars in the sprouts caramelized on the surface of the sprouts. You will agree that they are the best Brussels sprouts you have ever eaten - trust me.

For dessert, I had a huge piece of a fabulous cheesecake covered with a dark chocolate ganache and walnut pieces, served with a fresh, rich, dark roast coffee.

I fully intended eating about half of the slice - about 9 inches high and the size of a log-splitting maul - and bringing the rest home. My willpower was no match for that extraordinary confection. I just injected an extra 10 units of insulin to clear my head so I could write this.

Nothing hoity-toity about the place or the owner/ chef, Victoria, or her husband or her waitress. .
From her down-home, tableside friendliness, you would never guess this lady is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, an expert on French cuisine, and an extraordinarily gifted pastry chef.

You will think you are in just another ill-fated attempt at that location right up until you see the menu. That is your first clue. When your food arrives, you will be tempted to say, "Toto, I don't think were in Camden anymore."

Covites and unionist rednecks should feel equally at home. Albeit, the latter will be way more awed initially, but they will soon get used to really fine food.

Perfect for anniversaries, birthdays, put-on-the-dog-dates, etc. Get on over there. Casual dress.

For you travelers, at GA I-95 Exit 3 (3 miles north of the Georgia/Florida line) exit to Hwy 40 East.
Head east. You will pass a Lowes on your right. You will pass a Publix on your left. At the next stoplight, there will be a Walgreens on your left. Turn left at that light onto Kings Bay Rd. You will come to your first light with the hospital on your right. Go to the next light on Kings Bay in the left hand lane. At that light (church on your left) make a U-turn. Bistro and Brew will be in the first brick strip center on your right after the U-turn. Take your first right turn then right again into the parking lot.

3 Thank GordoSt_Marys
St. Marys, Georgia
“My new hometown favorite!”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

As a Trip Advisor "Top Contributor" I rarely have an opportunity to recommend something close to home and lament that I have to travel far to find truly different venues. Finally I've found a gem (still unpolished) that I'll reluctantly share and hope that I'm not left outside in line waiting to get inside. For you Travelers, it's a 5 minute trip off the main road (I-95, Exit 3, Route 40 East)) on the way to Kings Bay Submarine Base. It's in a small shopping center adjacent to "Shooters of America" ( We Georgians support the 2nd Amendment) across from Aunt B's. Now that you found it, enter a simply decorated small bistro and check out the pastry case opposite with homemade desserts as it may influence your lunch/dinner. Lunches are normally filled so be patient or try dinner as I have 4 times in 3 weeks. You can start with delicious "Soupe a l'Oignon" (French Onion Soup) or Cheesy Bison Meatballs among Starters. Then either "European Entree's" like "Arrosto Ippoglosso con Rosmarino" (fresh Haddock lightly breaded with rosemary bread crumbs), Wiener Schnitzel, or "Poulet Roti with Wild Mushrooms" ( a classic Parisian Bistro chicken dish) among many. Or "American with a twist" that includes "Chef Victoria's Meatloaf" ( a special mixture of ground beef and bison), my new favorite "Chicken & Waffles with Chicken Maple gravy" or others with a "twist". Operating hours are 10:00 am - 10:00 pm allowing for a late night dessert with "brew". (however only non-alcoholic until late July). There's also a Sunday Brunch featuring "Stuffed Goat Cheese French Toast smothered in Pecan Pralines". Enough said to make it worth your trip?

2 Thank Jon P