“Not So Good as Formerly”

Cumberland Kings Bay Lodges
Cumberland Kings Bay Lodges
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Tennessee
“Not So Good as Formerly”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This motel has seriously deteriorated in the past year or so. Although it is very economical and conveniently located, it seems to cater now to semi-permanent residents.

We reserved 2 connecting rooms for a total of 8 people. The rooms we were assigned were not connecting and located in the U-shaped area overlooking the parking lot, where residents were lounging around. One couple was engaged in a shouting match, with the woman leaning over the 2nd story balcony and the man yelling up from the parking area. Our rooms were both equipped with only 2 sets of towels.

The management did agree to move us to the front section, which was quieter and a little cleaner; but we had to get towels from the office. Continental breakfast consisted of coffee.

We don't think we'll stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank vcv

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Shalimar, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This use to be a nice place to stay, but after my last visit in Nov. 2012, I will never stay there again. The floors were filty dirty including the tile in the kitchenette area. They had no dishes or dish towels or clothes, so why bother with a hotel with a kitchenette. We had to go out any buy things needed for the kitchenette. The bthroom was nasty, something brown on floor all around the toiloet area, and soap scum in tub area. Suppose to have pastries for breakfast, and no matter how early we were willing to get up and walk to office, we only actually had pastries 1 time. We stayed a week, only because there were no vacancies that allowed pets, near where we needed to be.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Birdlady234634

Travellers are raving about these St. Marys hotels

Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Traveling down I-95, we exited for the night at Kingsland, GA. All the establishments near the main highway had rates that were kind of steep, but I guess you were paying for the convenience of staying close to the main artery of traffic. We saw a sign that suggested we consider driving another approximately 5 miles east, which we elected to do, and wound up staying in a mini suite with two double beds, at a rate substantially below the other room rates. No, it's not the Hilton, but, the beds provided a good night's rest, which is all we wanted in the first place.

Room Tip: Wifi is always nice to have!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 27 May 2011

You certainly get what you pay for at this place.
A strong mouldy odor hits you as you walk in.
My husband, myself and my 89 year old mother left with a pinhead type rash on our bodies. Lord knows what bugs are in this place.
The bathroom was quite nasty & had hairs and grime in the corners of the floor. Couldn’t take a bath as there was no bath stopper, not that we wanted to as I had to rinse out the tub before taking a shower. No shampoo or hairdryer, just a couple bars of cheap soap.
The bed blanket under the top cover was worn and thin and had burn holes and stains.
The “Continental” breakfast consists of strong coffee in a styrofoam cup and Krispy Kreme doughnuts straight from the box.
On line it states that they will let you use pots and pans etc if you ask. Don’t bother, They do not have pots, pans, plates etc…
We reserved a room for 8 days. On the 3rd day we had to get the room key “reprogrammed” as it wouldn’t work. On the 8th day the key was “disconnected” and we were locked out of our room, as they did not take the payment for the 8th day and said that we owed for another day. Its done weekly!! “Hello” we booked it for 8 days!
The snotty teenager that was on the desk was very rude and obnoxious
This place is a disaster and I will never use it again. By the time we spent out on plates, cups, plastic knives and forks etc… we would have been better off paying more and staying in a clean room.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank 7forty
laconia NH
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We stayed 1 night. I always go to bed an hour or 2 before my wife & when we left in the morning I had about 20 or 30 bed bug bites, my wife had none, I guess the bugs had their fill from me!
I know about hotel bed bugs from an incident 2 years earlier at the downtown Super 8 in Torrington CT where I got about 100 bites & only learned what what they were after a visit to the emergency room.
When I called them 2 days later they were rude & unhelpful.
From now on I will stay at a chain that has a stated bed bug policy

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank laconiaNHReg2
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Don't even think about arriving after 10 p.m! Even if you tell them you will be arriving late and they tell you it will be o.k. just call the number on the door. We had read a review warning about this very thing so we discussed it on the phone when we made our reservation and they said it would be no problem if we arrived at 10:00. We got there at 10:30 and there was no one there. We called the number on the door repeatedly and no one answered. This is also the number listed for the emergency number for guests! So it guests have an emergency and no one answers I guess they will just be out of luck. We had to drive around at 11:00 p.m. and find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ngawildflower
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I saw decent reviews of the place and decided to stay overnight with my family as I was driving to Orlando. It was a big mistake, rooms were smelly, and carpet was wet, mushy and sticky. Also saw couple of cockroaches in two of my three rooms I had booked. Motel was also not well kept there were spider webs everywhere and even in the open you there was a distinct stingy smell. Just for few dollars extra you can stay in Kingsland and have a very comfortable stay. My advice, stay away from this place. On my way back I stayed in Kingsland – Sleep Inn and it was a very comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Magnolia Inn - Kingsland
#9 of 21 in Kingsland
Best Western Plus Kingsland
Motel 6 Kingsland - Kings Bay Naval Base

Been to Cumberland Kings Bay Lodges? Share your experiences!