“Not what we expected”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Marys
Emma’s Cottage House
Ranked #3 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We have had the real deal in amazing B&Bs, and this is not one. At $140 a night, this was not worth the stay. The high ratings attracted us, and yes the house is nice (if a little kitchy) and we enjoyed using the bicylces, but the hosts have clearly been at this too long regarding level of service. Other guests seemed not to notice the corn syrup instead of maple syrup and the cheap sausage patties, however we weren't impressed. Prior to reserving, we inquired as to whether they would be able accommodate my vegan diet, and said they would "figure it out," which they did by providing me with soy milk for coffee. Otherwise, the hostess asked me on the fly if oatmeal was okay (I asked if I could have the strawberries that were on the waffles but none came with my oatmeal). Unfortunately I couldn't eat it due to the extreme saltiness (perhaps she used salt instead of sugar to season it?). We debated how to address this and decided not to say anything although on the 2nd morning, Angie made me fruit and I was very appreciative. I would stay elsewhere if you are looking for the real deal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna C H

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I agree with the previous reviewer, Don from Vienna, tiny accommodations for too much $$ and microwaved pre-fab food does not constitute a breakfast. We cook better at home! How hard can it be to put a breakfast casserole together? Evidently too hard for this lady/owner. We always stay at B&B's when we travel and have been to them all over the world, this was by far THE worst. It has a lot of potential, but needs better owners. Save yourself a trip, stay else ware for less and better digs, and put your money in activities and better food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Wow! Emma's Bed and Breakfast is a very relaxing and peaceful place incorporating the very best in hospitality, seclusion, convenience, and accommodations. Angie and Jimmy are fantastic hosts, and the warm breakfasts served on the back porch of the main house while listening to the sounds of nature are unbeatable... french toast with fresh berries and, YES, orange marmalade served with English muffins alongside homestyle scrambled eggs and grits. And, yes, it is so nice to be able to park your car and leave it as you tour the beautiful St. Marys waterfront on a bicycle included with your stay! I can honestly say that I had the best REAL vacation of my life, and I hope to return again soon. Thank you Angie and Jimmy Mock.....

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 402, which had two double beds, a rare find among bed and breakfast establishments...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Hosts live on site. B&B is in residential area near the town but probably best to drive into town which has ample free parking. Convenient to use prior to the Cumberland Island tours. They will pack a nice lunch in an insulated lunch bag. Hosts are very friendly. Home has many interesting collections and books.

Room Tip: Room #202 has 2 chairs.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I had the best night sleep in weeks... and breakfast (French toast and berries with coffee) was delicious. The bike ride after breakfast was an unexpected pleasure. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We have all had people in our lives who, no matter the time apart, when the opportunity to reunite comes, it's like you were never apart. That feeling of comfort and being is the feeling of Emma's Bed and Breakfast. From the time you first speak to reserve a room until you have to leave, you are made to feel like you belong. Angie and Jimmy allow you to feel the comfort of their "home" by just being themselves. You feel welcomed and a part of their family. The rooms are more than spacious and comfortable, they have been given loving care by Ansley, their assistant. If you have questions about the sites or maybe a good place to eat, every option is provided for your choice. Breakfast is fantastic! Another guest spoke at breakfast on Friday for anyone to hear, that it was "heaven on a plate" and all agreed!! Angie's own special french toast recipe and her caring placement of each piece of fruit is like your best friend giving you a piece of her heart. This caring couple will go above and beyond any other innkeeper to ensure you have the best possible stay. Please visit and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The location is good because you can walk to the ferry to Cumberland Island, but the good stops there as far as I'm concerned. We had a $119 loft so tight one had to crawl into bed from the end. It was more suitable for a hostel than for a pricy B&B. Management recognized the room was a problem and gave us a little better the next day. Breakfast was the best high-calorie menu that Wal-mart has to offer. I prefer to be positive, but sometimes one has to tell it the way one experienced it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Donald R
emmasbedandbreakfast, Owner at Emma’s Cottage House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

First, let me say-Emma's is a true B&B, built as a private home. With that being said some of our rooms are much larger(the master) and some smaller. The cottage building has also been converted to guest rooms. Our prices range from $119(smallest) to $189 (largest). When a reservation is taken, we make sure to explain to our future guest the few "quirky rooms".(our reservation form even has a checkoff that we inital that we have fully explained these rooms to them) The above guest rented their room 4 months in advance. At the time, we had several larger rooms available. We did explain to them that this was a true loft bed. I can only assume that they choose this room because it was our least expensive. The only reason I offered them another room the second night(We were full the first night) was because as senior citizens, I felt they may be more comfortable in a room without the loft.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Emma’s Cottage House? Share your experiences!