“Good hotel for business”

Marriott at the University of Dayton
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Ohio
“Good hotel for business”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have had to go to Dayton a handful of times for business trainings, which usually take place at the UD campus. This hotel is kind of on its own where it is located, but the one thing that is close by is the university. As a result, this hotel works out great when I have to go to Dayton for matters that take place at UD. There is a small gym, pool, bar, and mini computer lab, but I can't tell you much about them as I have never used them. I ate at the restaurant one time and it was just okay.

Overall, this is a good hotel to stay at if it is near what you need to do or are going to the UD campus, but I would suggest eating elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your feeback about your recent stay at the Dayton Marriott. We are blessed with a great staff of caring individuals and our goal is to host you brilliantly when you stay with us. I hope that you have the opportunity in future visits to enjoy a ballgame along with a great meal in Gambits. The Boom-Boom Shrimp receives wonderful reviews.

If I can be of any assistance with your travels through the Dayton area, I hope that you reach out to us at the Dayton Marriott. Travel Brilliantly!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Neosho, Missouri, Usa
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were very pleased with the modern and bright Lobby and Bistro. Happy hour and popcorn for evening and breakfast complimentary, but the room was a different matter. It was mostly clean and updated except for soft bouncy bed. The sheets kept coming off through out the night. The couch had a stain on it. The room was not sound proof. We stayed two nights and the service gave us only one caffeinated coffee pod for one cup the first day and did not refill the coffee the second day when room serviced. I have stayed in a great Marriott Courtyard but this is not one of those best choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at the Dayton Marriott. Your comments and opinions are very important and provides us with critical information to continue improving the product and services we deliver. I certainly want to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. I will definitely use your comments to refine our processes for continual improvement. If you have the opportunity to stay with us again, please know that we will make every effort to ensure your stay goes flawlessly.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel is nice and well maintained. Management could use some Customer Service skills training, though. Was not acknowledged as a Marriott Rewards member, nor welcomed back. Given a room on the concierge floor, though the room was not available. Membership has it's privileges? Not sure what those would be. Asked the front desk person what the point of membership was and he just kept telling me I was "only a Silver member, which doesn't really have any benefits." Um, ok, guess I should focus on Hilton Honors then?

Construction was going on at the hotel and promptly woke us up early Saturday morning, despite the fact the signs out front said construction was Monday-Friday. Signs inside the hotel did say Saturday, but after reading the Friday one outside, just didn't think they'd be different. Complained and did receive a free breakfast (which was good), which was nice and unexpected considering the people seemed utterly clueless on every other aspect of customer service.

I'd stay here again, but will recognize it's more of a Courtyard type place than a true full service hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent visit to our hotel. It's evident from your remarks that we failed to create a positive experience for you during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not being able to deliver against your expecations.

I can assure you that we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott. We will certainly use this occurrence as an opportunity to improve on our existing service. I will personally follow up to ensure that the communication of any improvement processes we encounter are consistent inside and out.

We hope that this particular stay does't prevent you from choosing Marriott in the future. If I can be of any assistance with travel through the Dayton area, we hope that you will consider us or any other of our Marriott properties.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott Plaza Dayton and it was a wonderful experience. There was a minor hiccup with my business reservation, but the front desk staff were quick to work it out and provided a great room ( I recommend the Parlor Suites). The hotel is located next to University of Dayton and downtown. Great stay at a great hotel.

Room Tip: The Parlor suites are spacious and comfortable.
Green Features: The hotel adheres to Marriott's commitment to the environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel and our services. I’m happy that we were able to meet and even exceed your expectations. Thank you for the kind words in particular with our staff. Our goal is to be able to host all of our guests in a brilliant fashion. I’m glad you were able to experience the parlor suite. We only wish we had more of them throughout the hotel to accommodate more requests.

We understand that you have your choice of locations when traveling through the Dayton area. Thank you for choosing Marriott. I hope that we have the opportunity to host you in the future with your upcoming trips to Dayton. If I can ever be of any service to you with your travel needs in the Dayton area, I hope that you will reach out to us. Thank you again!
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Three of us in our company stayed here on business. We expected high quality for the money, location, and reputation. It left us wanting! Great beds for sure. Everything else? Tired, a bit dirty, needs renovating. It is an iron horse. And our room was full of stink bugs. After unpacking, we had to be moved. Need I say more?!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your experience with the Dayton Marriott. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I appreciate your loyalty to both the brand and to the Dayton Marriott. Rest assured that your comments do not fall on deaf ears. We are pursuing property improvements vigorously and hope to have clarity around firm time lines very soon. As you may have seen recently, we've begun a few of the enhancements with resurfacing our parking lot area and upgrading our pool deck tile and fitness center floor recently. I certainly review the pest issue with my houskeeping team in the efforts of preventing such occurrences in the future.

Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to host you in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This large hotel is definitely overdue for an update, but it's in a great location near the University of Dayton. The common areas are pleasant and nice - and somewhat stately.

The hotel is large and in an attractive space near the river.

The rooms are dated. The furniture was solid - but old. There were a few updated touches. The bathrooms were also dated, the showerheads are also too low.

Service is very good. On the whole, it's maybe not great for the money, but location, comfort, and service are there, even if it's overdue for an update. For Dayton, not a bad option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
We greatly appreciate your feedback to a recent visit to our hotel in Dayton. I'm happy to see that we were able to meet your expectations upon your visit. As you may have seen, we are currently in the process of upgrading product throughout our hotel. We've recently resurfaced our entire parking lot as well as changed our inside pool deck areas. We are currently involved with replacing the existing roof to the building and we will be even more excited when we begin the process within the guest rooms and other public space areas.

We hope to see you in the future with your visits through the Dayton area. If I can be of any assistane with your hotel travels throughout Dayton, I hope that you will reach out to me.
Hampton, KY, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Another stay at the Dayton Marriott with the previously reported mediocre result. Although this hotel charges "Big City" hotel rates, it delivers barely average results.

The staff of the hotel is the only bright spot that I can mention. The folks at the front desk and the folks in the breakfast and bar service were excellent. I tipped well to show my appreciation for their doing great work in a somewhat challenging environment.

The main downside of the hotel is the distinctly "dingy, well-worn" appearance and operation of the hotel and facilities. Upon checking into my room, I noticed that the bathroom light was out. The front desk had a new light installed within an hour, but, burned out light bulbs when you are paying that much for a smallish room.

The room rate was another "dissatisfier". It would appear that the hotel owners are takign out as much profit as they can, I don't see any of the sizeable room rate going back into maintaining and improving the property. I'm looking for a different hotel in Dayton for future stays.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Greetings from the Dayton Marriott!

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Dayton Marriott. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the service failure regarding the light outage. We should have done a thorough inspection of the room prior to your arrival. Also I can assure you that our owners are working closely with Marriott regarding an upgrade to all the rooms and facilities in the near future. In fact we recently upgraded our parking lot, fitness center floor and pool deck, and we are currently refurbishing our roof.

Thank you so much for your positive recognition of our Front Desk and restaurant hosts. No doubt that our hosts are truly our most valuable asset. We certainly hope that your experience at the hotel will not deter you from choosing Marriott in the future.