“A Decent Marriott”

Marriott at the University of Dayton
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a decent Marriott as far as Marriotts go – not the greatest – not the worst. The rooms have been modernized and the interior is in good shape. Rooms were clean, bed was great, furniture in good shape. Old style AC unit was a bit loud. Rooms on top two floors (5th and 6th) have balconies – but the balconies are not particularly functional due to small size and only invite smokers to light up even though signs clearly say no smoking on balconies. Concierge lounge was well stocked and well run – did not experience any of the previously stated overcrowding but I suppose that could vary depending upon time. Restaurants were ok – not bad, not great, just ok. There did not appear to be any restaurants in walking distance. Good location - near some open space near the river and college - not downtown. Had a quiet and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Not near any major highways so noise is not an issue. Rooms on west side have a nice view of the riv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jamie H, Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our hotel. We truly appreciate the feedback and will certainly share with our team in the hopes of improving our services. I'm sorry that we did not come across as one of your favorites, however, I look forward to the opportunity of exceeding your expectations upon your next visit to Dayton.

We hope that you continue to travel safe and travel brilliantly!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Typical Marriott experience in Dyton. Nice big rooms, very comfortable bed and quiet. Spent four nights here and enjoyed my stay. Very convenient to downtown Dayton and University of Dayton is within walking distance. Parks and trails nearby. Good choice for central location.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms get a lot of noise on weekends in the summer with live music outside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel in Dayton. I appreciate the kind words you've shared regarding your stay. I'm sorry to hear that Sharkey's was a bit noisy for you. I hope that you were able to accomplish all that you set out to do with your trip.

If you're ever in the Dayton area, we hope to see you at the Marriott. All the best!!!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Very clean hotel and an extremely friendly staff. The staff always wants to make sure that you are taken care of and needs are met. The restaurant is good and the bar in the lobby is excellent! Right in the parking lot for University of Dayton so excellent for one of the best college basketball teams in the nation. Comfortable beds and excellent rooms. We will stay here again since family lives nearby!

Room Tip: High floor on the north or south side is the best bet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel in Dayton. I'm happy to see that we were able to not only meet, but also exceed your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you in the future! Travel safe and travel brilliantly!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

It's a nice hotel. As far as Marriott's are concerned, we have experienced better.
The staff is friendly and accommodating and our room was spacious. The breakfast buffet had many choices. We had some trouble with a light fixture which was promptly taken care of.
They were very stingy with the towels.
We enjoyed our stay here. As long as you don't think of it as a Marriott - you will be just fine.

Room Tip: ask for more towels
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Jamie H, Front Office Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hello from Dayton,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel in relations to your most recent stay. I appreciate the feedback and will certainly share this with my team. I'm sorry that the towels were not to your expectations. If there were any other particulars that you'd wish to share with me, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. We wish you safe travels and hope to see you at the Marriott.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

A fairly large hotel near the University of Dayton, this particular property nowhere begins to exemplify what I have become accustomed to expect in a Marriott hotel. Most “lower level” Marriott brand hotels, such as Courtyard, would objectively rate higher than this particular hotel.

The positives:

The staff is very friendly and accommodating from checkin to checkout, including front desk staff and those serving the Concierge Level lounge.

My room was very clean and all supplies and furnishings were properly arranged. Even the alarm clock, which I often find in many hotel rooms to be grossly off in terms of the current time, was set to the exact proper current time. Housekeeping appears to be first rate in this hotel.

Likewise, property seemed to be fairly well-maintained although a bit dated in décor.

The negatives:

Bedding – My room with a single king bed had a very soft mattress. I prefer very a very firm mattress, but this mattress was the least firm mattress I've encountered in any hotel room in years. I was able to sleep only due to exhaustion from the previous days' activities, but my back killed me upon awakening. I needed two Aleve to be functional after that bed! Most Marriott hotels have reasonably firm bedding!

Internet – Although the hotel provided complimentary internet, both WIFI and wired are available, in terms of bandwidth, the internet service was barely useable. Internet bandwidth for each connection is artificially capped at 1 megabit/second either download or upload. (Typical Comcast home service is 25 megabits/second. Typical cellphone 4G/LTE service is up to 10 megabits/second or greater.) During peak evening guest usage, bandwidth often fell to an unusable 10 kilobits/second. The hotel apparently has grossly insufficient internet bandwidth to support any number of business traveler guests (and for that matter, non-business traveler guests who use on-line technology!). On this basis alone, I would recommend that business travelers find other accommodations.

Bathroom – Although my room was fairly spacious, the bathroom was very small. It was so small that you could only close the door if you were not using the toilet. There was only one small towel rack located inside the bathtub area. There was no shaving mirror. The hair dryer was well hidden inside the room's closet.

Television – My room was equipped with fairly modern A/V hookups for connecting my PC, a DVD player, and/or an audio player to the television. The television was a relatively small (for the room size) flat screen high definition television. However, there is nothing sadder than a high definition television that only provides standard definition programming. Apparently, the hotel is not yet subscribing to a service that provides any high definition channels (including local over-the-air channels). Totally unacceptable.

Concierge Lounge – There are over 50 rooms on the 6th floor Concierge Level. The Concierge Lounge is of inadequate size to accommodate the number of guests entitled to the buffet breakfast and early evening hors d'ourves.

Overbooking – Two members of our group with confirmed reservations were “walked” from the hotel due to overbooking of the facility. They were sent to another hotel for their first night, albeit with that night's room charges picked up by Marriott. Totally unacceptable!

Food Quality – The breakfast buffet at the Concierge Lounge was passable, although the available pastries were restricted to some fairly bland half-size muffins. The evening hors d'ourves in that lounge were typical chips and salsa faire with one or another hot item, in one case some type of spicy chicken in dough wrap with hot sauce. This hotel should have taken advantage of the opportunity to have a first class dining establishment, given the lack of reasonable eating facilities in the immediate neighborhood. But alas, just Marriott burger type food – not particularly exciting leading the many if not most guests asking for assistance in finding good, local restaurants. (At least the front desk does make good recommendations even if their management punted on a great business opportunity.

Checkout – The bill was correct and even promised to send a copy via e-mail to my e-mail account (I either need an electronic version or a scan of a hotel bill to be reimbursed by my company - scanning is a pain in the tuchas!). Two days later, I have not yet received that e-mail. Nor has the Marriott Dayton uploaded my bill or points credit to my Marriott account! I am accustomed to getting my electronic receipt from other Marriott hotels (including Courtyards) with hours, much less days. Very sloppy.

3  Thank Dov I
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with our hotel in Dayton. I’m disappointed that we were not able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit. I do value your feedback and will certainly review your visit with my team within the hotel. I was happy to see that the staff were accommodating for you, however, we failed to exceed the remainder. I assure you that the opportunity areas mentioned will be addressed. If I can be of any assistance to you with your future travels in the Dayton area, I hope that you will reach out to me.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is centrally located and you can walk to town for restaurants and shopping. It is right across from the bike path, which was good for us. It is also "pet friendly", which was a big plus for us. However, you have to pay $25/night for the pet. The staff was friendly and our room was clean. The grounds were nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our hotel from your most recent visit. I'm happy to see that we were able to meet your needs and expectations. We are seeing more travelers with pets these days and I'm happy that we were able to take care of you in this fashion. We hope that you will reach out to us in the future if your travels do bring you through the Dayton area.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I hated to give this hotel two stars but in the end I was left with no choice.

I recently stayed for a conference. The rate was just under a $100 dollars so pretty good value. The hotel is a $30 cab ride from the airport and you can walk about 15 min to be around some restaurants and bars near the University of Dayton. However the selection is not great and it is mostly chains.

As for the hotel I am just going to give a Good and Bad list.

The Good:

Reasonable price
Front desk was excellent, always courtesy and very attentive. Always a smile and a greeting. Great stuff.
Wi-Fi was solid and there was not extra fee
Room was clean and daily housekeeping did a good job.
Housekeeping did not skimp on toiletries.

The Bad:

The hotel decor is a bit tired and dated. Needs an update badly.

Air conditioning in hotel was hard to keep room either too hot or cold

Mattress was terrible and caused me some nights of poor sleep

Towels are old and warn. Not thick and soft at all.

Room service food is not good. Breakfast was cold and blah not to mention expensive. But they were pretty prompt and courteous

Food at bar/restaurant was a mixed bag but tended to be on the poor side. I had the wings, bacon cheese burger and salmon.
Wings - Small, sauce was too tomato for a buffalo sauce but I did like the spiciness of it. The celery always had brown ends and spots. Certainly didn't look fresh.
Burger - It was badly burnt on one side and the meat tasted like a frozen patty. No flavor.
Salmon - Was the only good food I had. It was cooked perfectly and had a nice crisp underneath with a solid flavor. Green beans were tasty with the vinaigrette but they were mushy in texture.
FRUIT FLIES! - Yes they were in the bar area every night and one even landed in my Cognac. I was amazed this would happen at a Marriott and they would not address it immediately.

Outside of Pauly the staff looked a bit lost. Sometimes they would be attentive and then other times you feel like you need a blow horn to get someones attention. The managers never seemed to jump in and help out. One night there was some kind of special event so they got slammed and it was obvious they were understaffed.

I really hated to give this hotel a 2 star but the fruit flies, brown celery and poor mattresses put me over the top.

Standout Staff

Pauly in the bar
Rachel at the front desk

Room Tip: 5th floor quiet and no major issues.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jamie H, General Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with our hotel in Dayton. I’m disappointed that we were not able to meet and exceed your expectations during this trip. I value your feedback and will certainly review the good and the bad with my team. I’m happy to see that Pauly and Rachel made a positive impact on your stay, however, we failed to exceed the remainder. I assure you that the opportunity areas mentioned will be addressed. If I can be of any assistance to you with your future travels in the Dayton area, I hope that you will reach out to me.