“Fantastic Space in Oregon District”
Review of Inn Port D'Vino

Inn Port D'Vino
Inn Port D'Vino
Ranked #1 of 5 Dayton B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Space in Oregon District”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Champagne Suite. Initially, we had a bit of trouble finding 22 Brown Street but everything was great after that. Upon entering, there is the living room with a dining table for 4, pull out sofa and big, flat screen TV. To the left is the master bedroom with a king size bed and doors that close for privacy (if one of you snore the living room is much quieter to sleep). There is a long hallway that leads to the spa room and then the kitchen and bathroom. We entertained people in the afternoon and evening and the place had room to spare. The best part is that it is right in the Oregon District and has very good restaurants and bars with fancy cocktails. I'm from NYC and don't always rave about the area that a hotel or B@B is located but this was really cool. Somewhat like a scaled down Village in NYC. The price is right and the place has a parking lot right in front. Much better than a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the Champagne Room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter24098
innport, Manager at Inn Port D'Vino, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for the beautiful review. The Champagne Suite is a favorite with the en suite hot tub and the great space for entertaining, as well as the private entrance. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Parma, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed in the Champagne Suite, it was spacious, clean and very romantic. On-site parking was nice, because we could walk to all of the restaurants and shops in the Oregon District. Kitchen is stocked with breakfast items, so you don't have to get up or ready to eat at a certain time.A great stay at a very reasonable price for the size of the suite and the location.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank angelcat216
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

I stopped into the Port D'Vino for a single night after seeing it pop up online. I lucked out and they had one room available for the night, the Oporto room. The room layouts and accurate photos are on their website, which also allows you to check availability.

The hostess is warm and accommodating, without being intrusive. The ground floor of the old house contains the common areas which include a nice little public wine bar, a living room area and the breakfast room, which is available to guests around the clock. The furnishings are what I would call traditional Midwestern style and were comfortable and inviting.

The rooms are on the second floor and are accessible via their own staircases. The Oporto suite includes a bedroom with two double beds, desk, and TV. In addition, there is a kitchenette with a dining table, as well as a private bathroom with a shower stall. The room was quiet, clean, and comfortable. I have allergies and sensitive skin and worry about B&B's, but I had no problems. The bed was nice and soft, the bathroom facilities worked perfectly. The unit had its own thermostat, which was great.

The Port D'Vino is the first house on a side street in the Oregon district, which is an entertainment district in downtown Dayton with several decent restaurants, bars, and shops. It is a great location if you want to go have a few drinks and not worry about transportation, or even crossing a busy street.

I enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rmh1975
Flint, mi
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The suite in the back is where my wife and I stayed. The furnishings were nice, but the layout of the suite was a little awkward. The entrance off the parking lot has some awkward steps. Once inside, there is a room with a TV and a couch and a dining table. Yeah, you dine here, but the kitchenette is waaaaay to the back of the suite past the bedroom and the spa room down a narrow loooong hallway.

The refrigerator and cupboards and basket on the counter offer a good amount of breakfast options, but plan ahead, or you will get your excercise going back and forth to get items.

The bedroom is nice with a double door opening to the front room. The bed is comfy.

The spa room seems a little like an afterthought. The spa itself is one of those kind that you don't drain the water out of, so we were leery of what kinds of fluids lurked in there, so we didn't use this room at all. Also the spa left a musty, chlorine smell to the suite.

The bathroom is around the corner through the kitchenette in the back, so from the front room to the bathroom, it's a long hike.

We really liked the owner, who went out of her way to meet guest's schedules, and was very polite. After checking in, we didn't see her again.

We'd reccommend this place, but wonder if the suites in the main house are arranged better.

Room Tip: Ask the management for suite descriptions that might fit your needs
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flintjarvis
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2011

- The owner is incredibly nice and flexible. My arrival time was not a problem, and she made sure to meet all requests.

- Everything was clean, comfortable, and well kept. The hot tub in my suite was lovely, and food was supplied in the refrigerator for breakfast. Shampoo, soap, etc. were also included.

- The place was quiet and relaxing.

- Being in the art district, it was walking distance from all sorts of shops and restaurants (I didn't go to any since I was in town on business). Thai 9 is almost right across the street however, and I had an excellent dinner there.

- I normally HATE bed and breakfast places, because it's so easy to have a bad experience. However, I would gladly stay here again - I loved it!

- The decorations are a little mismatched at times, and frankly could be better, but it still looks quite lovely.

- It is a little pricey for what you are getting, but if you can afford it, it's definitely worth being in the art district as opposed to staying in the Holiday Inn by the airport (or something).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kingshimmers
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I travel to Dayton a couple times a year for group events, and when the events are downtown or in the Oregon District I'd been staying at the Crowne Plaza. However, the recent slew of downhill reviews for the Crowne led me to seek out a different place to stay, at least until they finish their renovations. The ideal location would be (a) very short walking distance to the Oregon District, (b) have free parking included, (c) cost about as much as the Crowne Plaza or less and (d) pretty and historic is also a plus given how many lovely old properties there are in this neighborhood. Voila, enter the Inn Port D'Vino!

The main house is gorgeous, although I actually stayed in the renovated building in back (which was basically a large, nicely furnished one-bedroom apartment) which allowed me access to the free lot parking. The hostess was very welcoming and her little white dog is so cute! I liked that all of the breakfast things, etc. were in the room and the hostess pretty much stayed out of my hair all weekend after showing me around, in contrast to other places that pester you about wanting to make up the room or whatever. I had a very hectic schedule and appreciated the peace and quiet. The owners were also very willing to work with me so that I could have a parking space, which I needed (street parking in the Oregon District being a real PITA), and still pay a single rate for the room and be in the property closer to the main street of the District. I was able to walk to things around the District even more easily than when I stayed at the Crowne Plaza because I didn't have to negotiate those two extra blocks with the dodgy fast food places and parking garage (and there was snowy slush on the ground besides). The suite I was in came with a full kitchen, cooking utensils, a basket of snacks like crackers and popcorn, and for breakfast, bagels, toast, spreads, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, milk, juice, coffee makings, and one egg. It wasn't fancy but given that it's very hard to get food in the District during certain hours when the restaurants aren't operating, and that a hotel would charge you ten bucks for a plate of toast, I was very glad to have it! The large refrigerator also allowed me to stash takeout food containers and if I was staying longer I could have bought my own food and cooked it. You do have to do your own dishes, which wasn't horribly burdensome but just something to be aware of. Wi-Fi and TV worked great and there was a jacuzzi tub which i didn't have time to try out but good to know it's there for a return visit.

The only minus was that the rooms were kind of cold. I happened to visit during an abnormally cold snap and the building where my rooms were has many large windows down both sides, also the bed blankets and comforter were on the thin side. I realize this is probably not a big problem in months other than Jan.-Feb. and is something that happens in a lot of older building B&B's. Also there is a thermostat control in the hall, but because of the large size of the suite in which I stayed I'm not sure how much that helped. This was a minor point though, and given the great location and amenities of this place I'd definitely stay again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bunnydots
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My hubby and I (boyfriend at the time) stayed here 2 different times when he was home for a visit (he's in the airforce and stationed elsewhere). Both times we stayed in the Champagne Suite and loved it. No complaints here. Loved the kitchen, selection of food, the hot tub was wonderful and beautifully decorated. Now we are married, (and he's currently deployed to the desert) but when he comes back for a visit in December, we are hoping to stay in the same suite again. You've given us wonderful memories to share. (the date of our stays was before Nov. of '09 but wouldn't let me choose dates before then)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple